“A fantastic and beautiful opera.”
Review of Tenement Museum

East Village Walking Tour with Food Tasting
Ranked #29 of 1,137 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Tenement Museum preserves the history of immigration through the personal accounts of those who built lives in the Lower East Side. Visitors can view restored apartments from the 19th and 20th centuries, walk the historic neighborhood, and interact with residents to learn the stories of generations of immigrants who helped shape the American experience. The museum is available by guided tour only. Each tour focuses on a specific theme and takes visitors to a different area of the building or neighborhood.
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Based in Victor Hugo, the great French Author, this absorbing and illuminating opera give us fantastic moments listenig to the great music. The director reinvents the novel with grace and love.

1  Thank ArdnasAiram
Write a ReviewReviews (5,521)

Reviewed 10 May 2014

This museum is awsome. Need to make reservation because the tours aere always sold out. The tour hard times show the way the immigrants lived in the beginning of the last century! Very real and touching!

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I've done this tour twice & cannot recommend it enough. It brings history to life & the educators who guide you round the Tenement building know their stuff & encourage interaction. Well researched & brilliant!

Reviewed 10 May 2014

I went to the Museum , not knowing a great deal about the social history of New York , after the tour my knowledge had increased substantially . I initially did the hard Times Tour , I enjoyed that so much I booked for another tour - The Sweat Shop tour . Both guides were very informative & made the tour with their knowledge. Get there about 30 mins before your tour , there is an excellent film which illustrates the history & life in the tenements & there is a very good shop as well. There is an excellent restaurant nearby - The Congee Village , recommended.

1  Thank Peter L
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The idea of this museum is awesome and if I had a few days (and a few hundred bucks) to really explore it all, it would be awesome. The big problem for me is to truly explore it all, it's really expensive. There are something like 7 different tours at any time and each tour is $25. OUCH. For a couple that's $50 per tour and you cannot tour the building without being part of an actual tour.

The best part of the visit is that the audiovisual program is really great. It gives an excellent overview of how the museum came to be and the life of the people who lived here over time. I think they've done an amazing job with this museum. I guess all that research and purchase costs explain how expensive this place is to visit, but you pretty much have to visit multiple times to get the whole story.

We happened to show up on a holiday, completely forgetting it was a holiday and all of the tours had been sold out by the time we got there except the Victoria tour, which was a tour of one of the small apartments and a costumed re-enactor answers questions about her life. I really enjoyed learning about it and the woman who played Victoria did an awesome job, but my husband and I really felt like we were on a grade school field trip. This tour is really geared for children. Sure all ages can participate, but I don't get so much pleasure out of tours where I'm talked to like a child. I also wasn't all that thrilled with our tour guide. She was fine, but nothing exceptional and, again, was focused on the kiddos in the tour.

A suggestion might be to have tours that clearly denote that they are for adults or for children.

The history here is awesome and important and I don't mean to warn anyone off. I just felt a little disappointed and most of the value I got out of it was the free audiovisual program. I recommend that you go online and make reservations in advance for the program you want to participate in. Do a little research so that you can make sure to see what you want to see.

NOTE: While this is a privately owned museum, they have an association with the National Park System. Therefore, they do have a National Park Passport Stamp for you collectors!