“Very unique museum”

East Village Walking Tour with Food Tasting
Ranked #28 of 1,151 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Tenement Museum preserves the history of immigration through the personal accounts of those who built lives in the Lower East Side. Visitors can view restored apartments from the 19th and 20th centuries, walk the historic neighborhood, and interact with residents to learn the stories of generations of immigrants who helped shape the American experience. The museum is available by guided tour only. Each tour focuses on a specific theme and takes visitors to different areas of our two historic tenement buildings or neighborhood.
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This museum allows you to tour one of the oldest surviving tenements in NYC...dating from the 1860's. Just walking through the building is an amazing experience and our guide added just enough information to make it come to life without getting tedious. Each floor is a separate tour and focuses on a specific group of immigrants. We did the Irish Outsiders tour but I hope to eventually do each of the floors. At $25 a floor it is a bit pricey (coming from someone who grew up with the free museums of Wash, DC) but well worth it. And the area around the museum was great to walk through.

1  Thank AnnieJ52
Write a ReviewReviews (5,622)

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

One of our favorite musuems. There are several tour options. We did the hard times tour which toured the homes of 2 past tenant families restored to an accurate depiction of their time. Very well done tour full of details. Not to be missed on the Lower Eastside. Great bookstore too

1  Thank TishWS
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My partner and I had three days between the two tours we took in the US, We were keen to see Greenwich Village, so we used the metro to get there. We later realised we could walk (quite a long way!) to the Lower East Side Tenement Museum.

Unfortunately the tour of the museum we were most interested in was fully booked, so we settled for a 90 minute walk of the area, called Outside the Home. It was a bit exhausting standing in the sun listening to the guide after our long walk to get there, but the information she gave us was most interesting.

If you intend to visit, it's probably worth booking on-line, to avoid disappointment.

Getting back to our hotel in Midtown is another story. It took us three rides on the metro, and at one stage we headed over the river to Queens! Oh the joys of travelling outside you own city!

Reviewed 21 June 2014

this is an very interesting tour and well worth the time and money. They take you back and give you the feeling of what is was like to live and work in this area in the 1870.
guide was very knowledgeable and helpful. The style is to interactive for me. I want to hear the guide but this program asked for more interaction with people involved in the tour. Otherwise it would of been a five.
The tour is long and interesting so take it in.

guide was very knowledgeable and

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

This is a tour that was on my must do list when coming to NY. Anyway early one midweek early afternoon I set off to visit the tenement museum on my own . I wanted to do the 'hard times tour or maybe the sweatshop tour. By 2 o'clock which is the time I got their (nearest subway Delancey Street). All they had left was a single spot left on the Irish workers tour and nothing available on the following day( not all tours happen every day , I think they rotate tours from day to day). I said I'd think about it, went back 15 minutes later and that had gone too. They explained to me because of the nature of the building they could only have a max of 15 people per tour. At this point I decided to uphold the good old fashion English tradition of offering them a 'bung' on top of the cost of the ticket. They refused but said I could watch a film in their mini theatre for free which was very interesting and informative. So the moral to the story is book your tickets in advance or be disappointed.
I have a lot of respect for people that try and keep the memory of the down trodden and forgotten masses alive. So we'll done for this. I do however feel they should maybe do a ticket that allows you to do all three tours back to back rather than one ticket for each tour.