“More a series of tours than a museum... very innovative”
Review of Tenement Museum

East Village Walking Tour with Food Tasting
Ranked #29 of 1,103 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Tenement Museum preserves the history of immigration through the personal accounts of those who built lives in the Lower East Side. Visitors can view restored apartments from the 19th and 20th centuries, walk the historic neighborhood, and interact with residents to learn the stories of generations of immigrants who helped shape the American experience. The museum is available by guided tour only. Each tour focuses on a specific theme and takes visitors to a different area of the building or neighborhood.
Montreal, Canada
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“More a series of tours than a museum... very innovative”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This was my second time at this museum and I must say they have really fixed up the tenement since the last time I visited ten years or so ago. The tours are relatively costly but, I must say, seeing how much they have fixed up the tenement really motivates you to support this museum. The tours are very interesting and provide a good contrast to how the rich lived at the same time, which you can get an idea of at the Roosevelt birthplace or Merchant's House Museum. This Museum really uses media and guide/guest interaction to make the visit memorable and bring the era and neighbourhood into context. I enjoyed more than one tour (like Shop Life and Hard times) to get more out of my time there.

• Czech first
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“time machine”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Was there June 2014. Blown away. Such a wonderful way to view and get a feel for what immigrants experienced. We took the "Hard Times" tour. Berto was our guide and did a great, enthusiastic job. Advice all to stroll through China town on your way to visit this historic place.

3 Thank Dean D
Owings Mills, MD
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“From My Mind To Reality With A Little Help From An Actress”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Go back in time to the area where my parents lived in in the early part of the 20th century. i came on a bus trip from Baltimore to this museum. We met a "resident" portrayed by an actresses as a young girl with a Sephardic background. The give and take of this experience took the group back to 1916. The actress stayed in character talking about schooling, and entertainment, The interaction was excellent with our group. I only wish we had more time to take another tour in the building or a walking tour of the neighborhood, but our time was limited. The building itself on Orchard is also a key character in the story of life on the Lower East Side. They have added an elevator for mobility challenged people, but only to a limited part of the building. Fortunately, the apartment we visited was just a few steps up from where we started our tour. The museum had a nice gift shop with books, art and souvenirs. My most important take-away was a reminder of what my ancestors had to go through living in very small quarters, without electricity and no central heating or cooling system other than a stove or a window. It really is a wonder that their large family eventually 9 for my father and 7 for my mother could build a life in this new land.

2 Thank BronxG
Atlantic Beach
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“unique approach”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My husband and I took the Hat Times tour.Our tour guide, Anna, was knowledgeable and personable, and a good story-teller. She was able to answer everyone's questions, and added to the overall good experience. Will return to take the walking tour on another trip.

4 Thank Dorothy H
Canada
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Great Learning Experience!”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We did the Sweatshop Tour - so interesting to see inside a real tenement on Orchard St where so many immigrants came to start their new lives in America. Such hard working, enterprising people! You will be amazed at how these people lived in those tiny apartments with no lights, heat or running water. A great experience especially for those whose heritage includes starting out in this fascinating neighbourhood. A must see.

1 Thank welovetravelCanada