“Very good”

East Village Walking Tour with Food Tasting
Ranked #57 of 1,149 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Tenement Museum preserves the history of immigration through the personal accounts of those who built lives in the Lower East Side. Visitors can view restored apartments from the 19th and 20th centuries, walk the historic neighborhood, and interact with residents to learn the stories of generations of immigrants who helped shape the American experience. The museum is available by guided tour only. Each tour focuses on a specific theme and takes visitors to different areas of our two historic tenement buildings or neighborhood.
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Good but very hot in middle of summer. Did the hard times tour which was pretty good. Tour guide offered a few to many political overtones relating to modern imagination policy.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,668)
All reviews
in 69 reviews
"new york"
in 844 reviews

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We do not realize how people lived in a one room apartment even in the middleof New York City back in the nineteenth century. Everything they owned was in this little room. The kids slept together where the kitchen was. The facilities were outside, but no one minded. The neighbors all knew each other and they helped each other. For a short tme you get transfered to that era. It is really nice.

1  Thank doris638
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I did not do a building tour, but did a neighborhood walking tour - Storefront Stories. I have to say I've been on better walking tours in the city (Photo walk-abouts in W. Village and Victorian Christmas walking tour in Grammercy and Chelsea areas by NYC Discovery Tours). This tour had limited information provided and wasn't particularly interesting compared to the others I've been on - and I don't think it has to do with it being a less interesting neighborhood with less history, etc. The tour guides on the other tours just seemed to be better at painting pictures and story telling...

2  Thank chatterbox-2007
Reviewed 4 July 2014

GREAT experience. I lived in NY for 25 years and never even knew about this gem of a tour.

Whether or not your ancestors were recent immigrants, this tour is a must when you visit NYC. The apartments are kept as they were 100 years ago and the tour guides are really knowledgable and kind. The groups aren't too big and though it got a little warm, there are modern fans in most of the rooms. We went on the "Sweatshop Workers" tour on the 3rd floor. My 14 and 10 year old daughters came with me and my wife and we all really enjoyed it.

The tour is exactly an hour and leaves you in a great neighborhood to sightsee and take in some local cuisine.

I lived in NY for over 25 years and never new about this hidden gem. Go, and you'll love it.

1  Thank Glenn K
See more reviews
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This was my second time at this museum and I must say they have really fixed up the tenement since the last time I visited ten years or so ago. The tours are relatively costly but, I must say, seeing how much they have fixed up the tenement really motivates you to support this museum. The tours are very interesting and provide a good contrast to how the rich lived at the same time, which you can get an idea of at the Roosevelt birthplace or Merchant's House Museum. This Museum really uses media and guide/guest interaction to make the visit memorable and bring the era and neighbourhood into context. I enjoyed more than one tour (like Shop Life and Hard times) to get more out of my time there.