“Better bargains to be had in NYC”
Review of The Hotel 91

The Hotel 91
Ranked #334 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I travel to NYC several times a year on business, and always choose one of several less-expensive hotels, of which there are several very good ones. This time, I decided to try Hotel 91 to see if I might want to add it to the roster. Sadly, I will not be coming back.

If there is one great review I can give it, it's the very friendly staff. Close on their heels are the beds - I had a great night's sleep. (Of course, one person's great bed is another's backache.) They have free wireless that's supposedly in the lobby, but I had no problem getting it in my room. Where this hotel fell short was on location and maintenance.

Unless you are willing to walk a long way, particularly in a New York winter, there is only one nearby line (F). It's not a bad one, but it's not always a quick jaunt to a connection with more options. There aren't a lot of good food choices in the immediate vicinity, either, particularly late-night. But the worst thing about this hotel, the deal killer for me, is the stench. Whether you're in the elevator or in a room, you're in a constant nose-curdling stink like someone dumped a bottle of cheap men's cologne on the rug to cover other smells. Those other smells are the usual musty sort you get in older New York hotels - mildly unpleasant, but not stinky like whatever they're using to try to cover it up. I also had a lot of trouble with the electrical plugs in the room, half of which didn't work.

By the way, you may see photos of the rooms or lobby on some travel sites. They are not accurate to what you're getting. The rooms are quite small and (except for the beds) much dimmer and more run down. I would not call the lobby welcoming.

It's probably a much nicer hotel in the summer, when you can open the window to air a room out and it's no big deal to walk to another neighborhood or subway line. But given that there are better options you can get for a similar price most of the time, I just don't see a reason to give this one a second shot.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not near the above-ground train. It didn't bother me, but light sleepers...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Daemonaquila

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Very nice and clean.
Kind staff.
Confortable and very well located for bus and subway.
Staff can give you informations about everything.
I suggest this hotel who wants a cheap and clean hotel in manhattan

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Volagratis
1  Thank agostino c
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I stayed here October 2012 with my husband, 2 kids and friend. We were stranded by Hurricane Sandy, so our stay was extended by 5 days whilst waiting for new flights home. The hotel extended the stay free of charge. Due to no electricity because of the storms the security doors couldn't be locked. Staff took it in turns to sit in the downstairs corridor to keep everyone and everything safe. They spent 12 hour shifts keeping look out. They opened their linen cupboards to us, as well as their vending machines - again no charge. The team that were there during the storm stayed there for the next week. I cannot fault any member of the team looking after us. The two rooms we occupied were spotless, the staff friendly and helpful. This is a budget hotel with a heart. I will stay here again without question. We would also like to thank the team here (and by god they are a team) for all their help during our 10 day stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Karen F
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I have to say that I was quite surpreised to find out that this hotel was really not bad at all!!
I was skeptical at the beginning because it is located in Chinatown and because I read some reviews talking about the noise of tge railway.
The hotel is clean and simple, close to subway, 5 minute walk from Little Italy and even if my room was ob the side of the building close to railway it was still very silent because there are double windows in the rooms!
I definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Having read the reviews of this hotel and taken some comments with a pinch if salt we decided to give it a go. On arrival the desk staff were impolite and disinterested in their customers, but okay you don't stay for the staff.

We eventually located our room which was neat and clean but very tiny with only one dim light bulb in the hall way. So I opened the curtains to try to get some day light in, only to find that the railway track was right outside the window. The noise from the train was deafening as it went by ever 5 minutes. I saw the reviews about the train line from a previous visitor but I did not heed then, please be aware that is really is bad if you are unlucky enough to be assigned a room on that side of the hotel.

We did not stay, so cannot comment further about the hotel, but when we checked out within half an hour of arriving the reception staff did not seem at all surprised and did not even ask why we were leaving, I guess that tells you a lot about the numbers of people who will have done the same thing before.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ruthierue75
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel along with some friends. When we got there, our expectations were ruined because the lobby of this hotel were under construction. The lift could not carry more than three persons with big luggage. The staffs were not friendly and the rooms were creepy somehow.

What I loved about this hotel, even a bit creepy, the rooms were nice and big for NYC hotel. Basically the beds were comfortable and very clean.
But the worst part was when we opened the window I got the bridge and the noise. It was very disturbing. The bathroom was average and could be counted as clean.

If you try to find a basic hotel with cheap price then this hotel is recommended. As long as you do not travel with older persons because they may have problems to use the stair instead.

Room Tip: Room beside the lobby hotel, the one who faces the street, is so big and very comfortable.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We stayed there in September, 2013. This was our 2nd. time. The first time in 2012 was okay. This stay the Front door lock to our room was broken. The toilet didn't work. The Air Conditioning didn't work. Cound'nt close a window. Smelled exhause fuels from cars on Manhattan bridge in our room. They couldn't fix it. We asked for another room. Front dest lady said no rooms available. Service repairman came, couldn't fix most problems. He spoke to the front desk. A room NEXT door to this room magically was available. Front desk Lady 'Lier, lier, pants on fire.
No closet in this room. Put your underware and such on a self. We will never stay at this hotel again. Don't take a chance on this Hotel from hell.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family