The Hotel 91
The Watson Hotel(New York City)
US$205
US$200
  • Pool
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$212
US$188
US$308
US$274
US$347
SmithHotels.com
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$263
US$232
Travelocity
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
The Westin New York Grand Central(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$307
US$243
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
NYLO New York City(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$276
US$267
Orbitz.com
US$444
US$415
  • Room Service
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
US$204
US$171
Travelocity
  • Fitness centre
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$226
US$170
  • Fitness centre
All reviewsmanhattan bridgetrain noisef lineheart of china townlight sleepernew yorkbudget hotellower east sidefree tea and coffeesubway stationcanal stbattery parkminute walkwall streethotel is situatedworld tradestayed here for nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I travel to NYC several times a year on business, and always choose one of several less-expensive hotels, of which there are several very good ones. This time, I decided to try Hotel 91 to see if I might want to add it to the roster. Sadly, I will not be coming back.

If there is one great review I can give it, it's the very friendly staff. Close on their heels are the beds - I had a great night's sleep. (Of course, one person's great bed is another's backache.) They have free wireless that's supposedly in the lobby, but I had no problem getting it in my room. Where this hotel fell short was on location and maintenance.

Unless you are willing to walk a long way, particularly in a New York winter, there is only one nearby line (F). It's not a bad one, but it's not always a quick jaunt to a connection with more options. There aren't a lot of good food choices in the immediate vicinity, either, particularly late-night. But the worst thing about this hotel, the deal killer for me, is the stench. Whether you're in the elevator or in a room, you're in a constant nose-curdling stink like someone dumped a bottle of cheap men's cologne on the rug to cover other smells. Those other smells are the usual musty sort you get in older New York hotels - mildly unpleasant, but not stinky like whatever they're using to try to cover it up. I also had a lot of trouble with the electrical plugs in the room, half of which didn't work.

By the way, you may see photos of the rooms or lobby on some travel sites. They are not accurate to what you're getting. The rooms are quite small and (except for the beds) much dimmer and more run down. I would not call the lobby welcoming.

It's probably a much nicer hotel in the summer, when you can open the window to air a room out and it's no big deal to walk to another neighborhood or subway line. But given that there are better options you can get for a similar price most of the time, I just don't see a reason to give this one a second shot.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not near the above-ground train. It didn't bother me, but light sleepers might have a very different opinion.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Daemonaquila
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Very nice and clean.
Kind staff.
Confortable and very well located for bus and subway.
Staff can give you informations about everything.
I suggest this hotel who wants a cheap and clean hotel in manhattan

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Volagratis
1  Thank agostino c
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I stayed here October 2012 with my husband, 2 kids and friend. We were stranded by Hurricane Sandy, so our stay was extended by 5 days whilst waiting for new flights home. The hotel extended the stay free of charge. Due to no electricity because of the storms the security doors couldn't be locked. Staff took it in turns to sit in the downstairs corridor to keep everyone and everything safe. They spent 12 hour shifts keeping look out. They opened their linen cupboards to us, as well as their vending machines - again no charge. The team that were there during the storm stayed there for the next week. I cannot fault any member of the team looking after us. The two rooms we occupied were spotless, the staff friendly and helpful. This is a budget hotel with a heart. I will stay here again without question. We would also like to thank the team here (and by god they are a team) for all their help during our 10 day stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Karen F
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I have to say that I was quite surpreised to find out that this hotel was really not bad at all!!
I was skeptical at the beginning because it is located in Chinatown and because I read some reviews talking about the noise of tge railway.
The hotel is clean and simple, close to subway, 5 minute walk from Little Italy and even if my room was ob the side of the building close to railway it was still very silent because there are double windows in the rooms!
I definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Having read the reviews of this hotel and taken some comments with a pinch if salt we decided to give it a go. On arrival the desk staff were impolite and disinterested in their customers, but okay you don't stay for the staff.

We eventually located our room which was neat and clean but very tiny with only one dim light bulb in the hall way. So I opened the curtains to try to get some day light in, only to find that the railway track was right outside the window. The noise from the train was deafening as it went by ever 5 minutes. I saw the reviews about the train line from a previous visitor but I did not heed then, please be aware that is really is bad if you are unlucky enough to be assigned a room on that side of the hotel.

We did not stay, so cannot comment further about the hotel, but when we checked out within half an hour of arriving the reception staff did not seem at all surprised and did not even ask why we were leaving, I guess that tells you a lot about the numbers of people who will have done the same thing before.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple