“Save your $5”
Review of Skyscraper Museum

Skyscraper Museum
Ranked #331 of 1,122 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Wall Street was the building ground for early skyscrapers, and this museum is dedicated to studying and enjoying them.
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Thought we would visit this museum as an alternative to the more austere museums nearby. However, as another reviewer noted - the "clerk" at the entry was beyond rude - even after we toured the whole floor and purchased a souvenir for my son.

It is only 1 floor and just filled with architects models. There is one interesting display of a video screen showing different views from varying heights but that's about it. Skip this one. And if management is reading - you might want to do some reworking of personnel.

1  Thank rickypiper

Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

We went on recommendation from a locals guide book. The advertised reopening exhibition was not complete so we only saw one floor of exhibits. Just assessing the way the information is presented, in our view, is not very user friendly. Just pictures and dry writing and some models. Also coming for London they may wish to consider adding the tallest building in Western Europe, the Shard, to their collection. We were sorry that we wasting the journey time getting there. Very poorly signposted as well

Reviewed 1 September 2013

I find skyscrapers to be interesting, so I found the museum to be interesting. The problem with this place is that it's just not much of a museum. It's more like someone took a good coffee table book on New York skyscrapers and put all of the pages on some walls, along with a few run-down models. If you like skyscrapers, some of the content will interest you, but there really isn't much in the way of exhibits.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

The architecture of NYC intrigued me enough to seek out this museum. Compared to other museums, I paid only a tiny admission fee. It consisted of one large room, with mostly photos and write-ups about the skyscraper race that led to taller and taller buildings, as well as ornate decorations on the outsides. Skyscrapers in other cities were also discussed when they were relevant to the race. Chicago was mentioned frequently. I would have loved even a SINGLE place to sit down while reading the information. I was there for an hour and a half and saw most of it (though I found the info. on the new World Trade Center to be too depressing to look at). There was a very interesting video (at least 15 minutes long) about the building of the original World Trade Center twin towers. This would have been the perfect place for a bench. There was a smattering of information on the decorations on the outsides of the skyscrapers, but I would have loved to see more, as that is what I had hoped to learn about). When I was in the restroom, the lights turned off because they were on a motion sensor that was set on a very short time span. I was glad I was not in the stall at the time, but was by the sink. It turned off a couple more times as I washed my hands, and I had to keep waving my arms to get the lights to turn on again. There is a tiny book shop near the entrance of the museum, and I would have liked to have seen some souvenirs. For the small amount that I paid to get in, I was glad I went. It's right across the street from the Holocaust Museum, and both could possibly be visited in the same day.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

NY City has an impressive array of skyscrapers, both for their sheer size and their architectural beauty and variety. I was expecting a museum highlighting the sights and history of such impressive buildings: The Empire State, the Chrysler Building, the GE building at Rockefeller Center, the Panam/Metlife building, Bank of America Tower, the Trump Towers, The NYTimes Tower, and so on....

Instead what you'll find is an assorted hodge-podge of uninteresting pictures and texts of (mostly) the Woolworth building, which apparently somehow sponsors or sponsored this museum. Very few models, very few pictures of the important buildings or comparisons among them. The annotated aerial view of the city at the Rockefellers's Top-of-the-Rock is far more interesting than any exhibit here!

The books on NYC buildings that could be found in the museum´s "shop" (2 shelves of assorted items next to the cashier) had more interesting information than the museum itself.