“OH MY GOD”

Ranked #3 of 1,208 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: At New York City's most visited museum and attraction, you will experience over 5,000 years of art from around the world. The Met is for anyone as a source of inspiration, insight and understanding. You can learn, escape, play, dream, discover, connect.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Baby buggy parking, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I've been to New York a lot. I go probably 4-5 times a year. And up until recently I'd never been to the Met.

IT IS AMAZING! Their collection is just insane. Room after room. I can't even describe it.

There's a recommended entry charge of $25 or so but you just have to pay more than $0. Don't be cheap; they use the money for the museum and it shows. We actually paid more than the recommended price.

The only downside was my own fault. I went after a late night, having not eaten breakfast, and I wasn't wearing comfortable shoes. You could easily spend a week here - and your ticket is good for about as long - but I was exhausted after only a few hours.

Next time I come back I'll know better.

Write a ReviewReviews (50,051)
All reviews
in 5,074 reviews
"louvre"
in 675 reviews

Reviewed 4 December 2013

I try to always get to the Met when in the city, and get there late or early. Little known secret:
Rooftop Garden has great views, and now a full bar where one can purchase a chilled martini or acqua minerale while enjoying the expansive vistas. Sit down for a minute and meet a fellow traveler from another country or two. Even bigger secret: they open at 9:30 AM and most tours don't get there until 10:00, so you have that great 1/2 hour of relative peace if you get there early. The permanent collection boasts unequaled splendor, like the Temple of Dandur, the Roman rooms, the Japanese tea house, and on and on. Do not miss the Christmas tree if you are there in season! Filled with Exquisite Capo di Monte Angels of detailed porcelain and displayed in a great hall with vaulted ceilings that makes my spirit soar as sacred spaces should do .
I have fond memories of taking a class of Art Majors from Wells College there on a field trip while I was a visiting Professor of Art. This experience is something to be shared; take a friend.
The Metropolitan's changing exhibits demonstrate social awareness (Alexander McQueen comes to mind; even though I couldn't get in; I stood in line for an hour trying, and meanwhile had great conversations with strangers about McQueen and the show in the niche bookstore ) and timely reflections on major trends. I also enjoy the neighborhood East of the Met, and often walk across town and take a bus down to midtown, where I generally stay when in the City. Pssst: look into city pass tickets for groups of museums, and visit as many as possible ! There are some places open on Monday, as the major museums like Whitney and Guggenheim have wisely staggered their closing days.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

This museum is enormous. Lots of room to see well spaced exhibits on the day we visited. You could spend a week here and still not see everything. We concentrated on Roman and Greek sculpture and European 19th and 20th century paintings. Coffee then lunch in a couple of the cafés - we thought prices reasonable (particularly compared with the V&A in London). We will certainly return.

1  Thank Bruce E
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Even a entire day is not enough to cover the entire Museum.The collection were overwhelming and my son had a question for every exhibit.

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 December 2013

As other reviewers stated, no question the acquisitions of this museum are outstanding. The free docent Museum Highlights tour was enjoyable and quite informative. However, almost all other staff were unhelpful and rude. We were happy to pay the $25 fee each, but the ticket sticker they give you is cheap and falls off right away. GUARD THAT STICKER WITH YOUR LIFE, unless you want to get repeatedly harassed - more later.

Regarding staff rudeness - first, we went into coat check and two people actually avoided helping me, even though there were no other customers. Then, we had to ask where the cafe was 3 times because they would only give us vague "that way" directions (come on, this place is HUGE!). One guard wouldn't even look me in the eye when I asked a question. Every other guard when you enter a room will just look away when you try to give a polite smile. We spent over $100 on lunch at the Petrie Court Cafe, and the service took a loooong time and was not what you'd expect - one server walked the entire length of the dining area obviously chewing on a mouthful of food. The room was extremely loud, and I swear my food was microwaved - it took forever to come out, and my salmon was lukewarm on the outside and burning hot on the inside - I've never experienced that in a restaurant before. The breaded topping fell off in one whole piece. And finally, when we were leaving the museum, we got totally harassed twice - once to go to coat check, and once to use the bathrooms, because they were both in "museum" areas and my husband's sticker had fallen off. Finally I produced my stubs and they let us pass, after MUCH argument. I questioned why we were being given so much trouble when it was supposed to be free, or pay what you want. He said we had to pay something, even if it was a penny. First, we paid the whole amount, but were treated like we were trying to sneak in for free. Second, you're telling me I have to go back and stand in line and pay a penny to get a new sticker and come back and show it to you so I can use the bathroom??? I would guess this might be where some of the rude New Yorker reputation comes from, because we didn't see it anywhere else. Upon reading other reviews, it appears there's a contentious feeling from folks who don't want to pay the full amount. After our experience, I would have absolutely no problem paying a dollar the next time we go, just because we were treated so poorly, which is a shame, because we would easily open our pocketbooks for a good, even neutral experience. I read an employee post somewhere that said there were issues with new management. I don't know what it is, but these workers are not happy. The exhibits were so outstanding, it was a real disappoint to have such an unfavorable staff experience.

7  Thank Jennifer D