“Could live there”

Ranked #3 of 1,078 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: At New York City's most visited museum and attraction, you will experience over 5,000 years of art from around the world. The Met is for anyone as a source of inspiration, insight and understanding. You can learn, escape, play, dream, discover, connect.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Baby buggy parking, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Leeds, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Could live there”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

I could live in the Met and never get bored. So vast yet so well structured. Every area creates great context in which to display such a wealth of interest and intrigue. Wonderfully presented.
Facilities are excellent and service is wonderful throughout.

Visited December 2013

• Vietnamese first
Long Island, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“My favorite museum in the world! But be prepared to face the attitudes of those that work there.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Look, it's pretty simple. The MET is enormous, beautiful, and filled with endless treasures. As a NY art teacher, it is my Nirvana. I have visited the museum at least three times a year since I was little. Noteworthy galleries, (the ones I visit again and again) include the armory/weaponry room, classical Greek and Roman sculptures, and Egyptian gallery. They have a spectacular Christmas set up in the medieval art gallery for the holidays that includes an enormous tree with the most exquisite nativity scene and ornaments you've ever seen. I also loved a recent special exhibit they put on that featured French ceramics from the 1800s. Such beautiful objects.

Wear comfortable shoes when visiting the museum!

Skip the cafeteria downstairs, its pricey. There's delicious hot-dogs and falafal out front!

WARNING! For TOURISTS ESPECIALLY! Be prepared for some rude treatment from the staff that work at the MET, especially the ushers that help move foot traffic in and out of galleries on the main floor/Lobby area. God forbid you ask them to point out a gallery or the nearest bathroom. Look, I get it. As an attendant there, you probably hear the same question thrown at you day in and day out. But you are paid to answer those questions and there is no reason to be sarcastic and impatient with visiting guests. I wish I knew who I could report such guards to. Recently, I was touring the museum with my professor for a class. We were all aspiring art teachers and masters students. A group of asian tourists misunderstood directions regarding entering and exiting the galleries. The usher there proceeded to turn to me and mouth off about how Asians are ignorant and don't speak English. I was APPALLED! I immediately frowned and said I found his generalizations racist and he should leave me alone. He continued to argue with me!, following me into the main lobby asserting that his opinion was the truth and I didn't know any better. My professor and classmates were astounded at the man's comments. We had an exchange student from China in our group who as deeply offended, as she should have been. The MET is an institution that celebrates diversity of art and culture---and it caters to an enormous tourist population that frequents NYC. I am sure this was a singular incidence and does not reflect the beliefs of the entire staff there, but still. Screen your staff! They are growing very mean and unhelpful.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank R C
Delhi
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Don't leave NYC without visiting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Whenever I'm in New York I ensure that I spend one afternoon at least at the legendary Met soaking up enough culture to make me light headed with pleasure.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Kalpanaa M
Indialantic, Florida
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Wonderful as ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

I am always impressed with this amazing museum, and could spend an entire vacation visiting just this place. Spent 7 hours viewing only 4 galleries. The Egyptian gallery is a must-see, especially the Temple of Dendur. Simply wonderful...

Visited July 2014
2 Thank ShuGalinMLB
Calcutta
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Fabuluous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

There is absolutely nothing to dislike about The Met. It is informative, it is brilliant and it is educational. There is something in there for everyone. This is my 5th visit to NYC and my visit to NYC is never complete without a visit to the Met.
While you are there don't forget to visit the Met Store. The stuff there is gorgeous and really quaint.

Visited August 2014