“Colors of the Night Exhibit”

The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)
Book In Advance
Buy Tickets Online
US$25.00*
and up
The Museum of Modern Art Admission with...
US$79.00*
Viator VIP: Mornings at MoMA
US$129.00*
Combo Tour of the Met and the American Museum of Natural History
Ranked #33 of 1,146 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Located in the heart of midtown Manhattan, The Museum of Modern Art is home to the world's greatest collection of modern and contemporary art. The collection includes Vincent van Gogh's "The Starry Night" and Andy Warhol's "Gold Marilyn Monroe," along with works by Jackson Pollock, Jasper Johns, Cindy Sherman, Elizabeth Murray, and many other great artists of our time. MoMA's collection also showcases photography, film, architecture, design, media, and performance art. Visitors can also enjoy shopping and fine and casual dining options.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Baby buggy parking, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 12 October 2008

This was a highlight of our trip last month. I've always loved Van Gogh and never miss a chance to see his work. This exhibit includes loaned work from the fabulous Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam and elsewhere, and it's the first time thse works have been seen in one place, so it's a real treat for art lovers. Even unsophisticated ones like me. The show was everything we hoped for. Since we were among the first dozen peoples in the museum it was uncrowded at first but filled up quickly. This exhibit was definitely a hot attraction.

They issue first-come, first-served timed entry passes. We got to the museum and hour before it opened to be sure of admission to the exhibition. We already had our museum tickets via the New York Pass.

The proceedings were a bit disorganized due to lack of signage. Dozens of people waited in the wrong lines. Staffers patiently explained over and over and got them sorted, which would be less necessary if MOMA would clearly post which is which. Fortunately, the lobby opens an hour before the museum proper so at least you aren't in the weather.

The coat check line opens about 2 minutes before the museum, and their (unenforced) policy is that no backpacks, large umbrellas or heavy coats are permitted. So a LOT of people waited in line for their tickets and then in another long and slow-moving line to check their articles, only to find that the staff waived anyone with a backpack through. MOMA should open the coat check at leat 15 minutes beore the museum.

I agree with earlier posters that the space itself lacks originality or charm. All that aside, the museum was amazing the chance to see these masterpieces in one place very memorable.

5  Thank Aldo_Nola
Write a ReviewReviews (14,703)

Reviewed 5 October 2008

Like other reviewers, I had been to the old MOMA and wanted to check out the new location MOMA so I visited this past Friday night since it's free admission. The place was mobbed with people and with 6 floors to visit, my mom and I did a run-thru of most of the rooms of art. The one odd thing is when you get off one of the elevators, there's a huge canvas painting by some world renowned artist hanging on a white wall as you step off the elevator in what's essentially a hallway. A very odd way to see art, I think-- you'd expect the important paintings to have their own rooms-- not a hallway off the elevator. Also, it was interesting to see how this museum is so crowded on Friday nights-- like a cattle call of people-- mostly thin, well-dressed young people (art students, I guess) and casually dressed, frumpy tourists from out of town. It's, of course, an odd mixing of all types of people, and I am guessing the artists who did these paintings and sculptures would be flattered that what they produced is getting so much attention from so many people on a weekly or daily basis. A lot of the art at the MOMA is the kind you look at and say, "That's art? I could do that. My child could do that." The MOMA wasn't outstanding to me, but it wasn't a bad way to kill an hour in NYC, either. If I went back, I might like to go when it's not so crowded, and just pay the admission fee so I can take it all in at a slower and more studied pace. All in all, a good place to see art and to see people, too!

Reviewed 15 September 2008

I was very excited to visit the new MOMA because I am a huge fan of modern art, and, in my younger days, had been a frequent visitor to the "old" MOMA. My teenage son is a fan of abstract art, and I was thrilled that he actually wanted to go see the museum with his boring mom.
MOMA still has all the great artworks that it always had, but the "new" building is uninispired and without soul. From the lobby (I thought I was in a corporate skyscraper) to the exhibition rooms, I was hugely disappointed.
I have a clear memory of the first time that I saw Van Gogh's Starry Night and how deeply it affected me (as displayed in the "old" building). I was hoping to share this experience with my son, but we have had better moments in other museums. The renovated building is so boxlike and cold, that it affected my viewing of the art, and I walked away quite depressed. My son was also uninspired by the architechture.
MOMA is a must see for individuals interested in some of the greatest works of modern art, but for a better overall experience, I would visit the Guggenheim and even the modern art rooms at the Met.

2  Thank medusagirl
Reviewed 8 September 2008

I have been to MOMA twice now. The new building is gorgeous. For those who love modern art or design it is a must see. MOMA has a wonderful collection of Pollack's.
TIP: It is free on Friday nights but is VERY crowded. I have visited on Friday night once and on a weekday morning the other time. If you have time to kill and just want a look around, go on Friday for free. If you have time constraints, if there are particular pieces you are interested in seeing, go another time.

2  Thank CourtneyIN
Reviewed 22 August 2008

We went here mostly to see some of the impressionists work and were frankly staggered by the amount of famous paintings that were on display. The building itself is very nice but the line ot get in was pretty long but as we had Citypass's we cut these out all together. There were so many pictures on display by the likes of Picasso, Monet, Dali, Cezanne, Matisse, Van Gogh, Pollock, Mondrian, Gauguin, Warhol etc that wherever you turned was another masterpeice.

We easily spent 2.5 hours wondering around this floor alone, there were also other pieces of art that were good like the fan that responded to peoples movement. If no one was standing near it then it would move slightly but the closer people got the more erratic the swinging was.

If you have any interested in art then this is a must.

1  Thank Garyddd73