“The real deal...”
Review of Smoke Jazz Club

Smoke Jazz Club
Reserve with OpenTable
Smoke Jazz Club is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #565 of 13,637 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Drinks, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: 106th Street
Transit: 1 train to 103rd Street and M104 bus
“The real deal...”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Now that's what I call jamming and real Jazz...Love going to Smoke...not only is the music quality outstanding, the vibe is real. Lots of musicians stop by after their own gigs other places and start jamming...the service is great and the atmosphere worth the trip, wherever you are!

• Visited June 2014

• Korean first
“Good jazz brunch”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The food is pretty good, the drinks are very good, but what you are really going for is the live jazz. Annette St. John and her Trio are the brunch show offering, and they are WONDERFUL!!!

Visited May 2014
1 Thank PhilineV
New York City, New York
“Every Jazz lover would enjoy this place”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This place should be definitely added to the bucket list when jazz spots of NYC are concerned.
3 sets pear night of great jazz ( first starts at 8:00 PM- last at 10:45).
2 drinks minimum ( about $20 per person) end up being a cover charge. Great music - but you have to quiet while the sets are on.
There is usually a bend that plays after main jazz sets -in late hours - that doesn't require cover charge and usually provide great vibe and music.
The only reason why there is no 5 stars from me - the service is often very slow and inefficient.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank danolear
“My first Jazz club experience in NYC”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

My wife and I were in NYC in March (2014) and I chose SJC because Harold Maeburn was playing piano on the night we went to the club. The performance was average but the food experience was terrible

First, the table we were seated at was too small to handle the two meals we chose. Second, I wanted iced tea with my meal and the waiter brought me a six ounce glass of tea so with the ice I had about three ounces of tea. When I quickly drank the tea and I asked for a refill and we were informed by the waiter refills were not free??? ($3.50 for approximately three ounces of tea). So, I chose to drink tap water with my meal because the meal hadn't arrived yet.

I really don't think the size of the club warrants serving a full-course meal but, I understand bills have to be paid and the artist(s) don't work for free. I expected more from the song selection based on the billing so that's why the group only gets an average rating.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank willis h
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Not good value for money.”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I was really looking forward to the jazz night and the music did not disappoint. However it was the only place we visited in New York over 7 days that I felt was there to take our money more than entertain. We chose Smoke due to its initimate venue - which it was. We ordered a main course which I enjoyed (chicken and mash) but my husbands ribs were cold and it is very difficult to make a fuss when you are trying to listen to the music which is only playing for an hour. We also ordered wine which was 45 dollars for the cheapest bottle. The waiter then knocked over a glass of this onto me and my meal and just said sorry but didn't offer to replace the wine or the meal Again in the middle of the music set it was difficult to do much about it. I did however eventually complain to one of the waitresses, who must have mentioned it to him as he brought us a free dessert each at the end of the meal. So overall it wasn't a good experience and one that cost us over $200 dollars (in only 90 minutes!). I agree with another reviewer, if you do go sit at the bar instead!

• Visited April 2014