“For low-budget travellers”

Central Park Studios at Lexington Ave. Co.
“For low-budget travellers”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The hostel is nothing glamorous and it's located in East Harlem, a poor neighbourhood of Manhattan, but it's really close to the subway and Central Park and you will have cheap options to eat in the area (McDonald's, BK, KFC, Subway, Little Caesars Pizza, Dunkin Donuts, etc.). Also, Santos, the owner, is a very attentious person and will help you to plan your visit in NYC

Since I have paid 30 dollars per night, the best rate I had found in Manhattan, it's worth it.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Wallace I

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Aside from the fact we were an hour late because we couldn't find the place we were greeted fondly by the owner. Our room was nice and comfy (private two person bunk-bed) with a wonderful kitchen,stove, and storage. We were two early 20's females and never felt nervous or worried about our stuff. We carried film equipment and expensive laptops and never felt harm would come to our stuff. the rooms had a normal lock as well as a bolt lock so we felt secure at all times. The bathrooms were quite small but still effective (bring shoes for the shower!) The only thing we found negative was the lack of meeting space to get to know the other tenants. We still befriended quite a few people there and the location was wonderful. It was right near the 6 line and was close to everything. The neighborhood was beautiful and had the most friendly people! i would stay again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: bring some friends and be open minded! the city is what you make it! you will have a bad time if you...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Meghan G
Falköping, Västra Götaland, Sweden
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I was there with my friends in september 2011.. Santos (I think it was his name) was a real good guy. I love Harlem, and if I´m going back to NY I think I can stay at this place on more time.. Four happy people from Sweden

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2011

I stayed here in August 2008. I turned up to the hostel in the middle of a nightmare! having just left my voluntary summer job at camp I was travelling on the subway in New York for the first time (I was an 18 year old female travelling on my own) when my backpack was stollen, which left me with no passport, flight itinery, mobile phone or any form of ID, basically I had lost everything apart from my money (thank god!!).
Anyway I made it to the hostel in such a panic as you an imagine and I told the man, I think his name was Santos, my situation. Oh my god he was such a gem he marched me down to the police station straight away and registered my stolen property, then he let me use his phone to make many phone calls back home (not cheap phoning between the USA and Scotland!) then he contacted the British embassy for me and printed out a map for me showing me how to get there. If it wasnt for Santos I dont know what would have happened, but thank god he was there to help me, very friendly understanding man, he set me on the straight and narrow which allowed me time to visit all the sights in New York during my 2 day stay.
As for the hostel it was clean, but quite stuffy, but hey it was very cheap and nicer than I had expected. I was in a bedroom with two bunk beds and there was a living room with sofa's and a TV, a bathroom, kitchen and a private double bedroom, it was like a tiny flat. I really got the New York feel staying in it and met some great people there. The area was rough, but you know what I loved it and explored Harlem without any trouble whatsoever. The subway is 5 mins round the corner as too is central park and some interesting museums round that way. If you fancy it, as I did just to explore, you can walk right down to the bottom of manhattan in about an hour and a half, which I recommend, it really soaked in the sights, sounds and smells of the city.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank Debz_w_90
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 27 July 2011

stay away from this place....

it is not safe! dodgy area. no staff at hostel at nite!! locks on doors broken! we were booked in for 6 nites, we stayed the 1st nite and left the next day. the nite we stayed we were scared all nite. we lost our deposit but didnt care, there is no price on safety !!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HUSSEYM

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2010

I was in shock when I saw the place, the area looked really rough and scared the life out of me. The reception was tiny and we could barely fit out cases in it. The staff were lovely and welcoming and helped us carry our bags up the narrow staircase. There were 2 communal showers/toilets and one had no lock on the door. Our room was ridiculously small, we could just about get our cases in the door way and had to take turns to walk around the bunk beds. There was no air con and the small fan in the room didn't work. It was close to a subway line and central park but that didn't make up for the place. I only saw one other couple whilst at the hostel and even though the staff were very nice I didn't feel safe or clean the whole time I was there. I wouldn't really reccommend it to anyone especially young travellers or anyone in small groups!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank lfg89
Oxford, UK
Reviewed 18 February 2009

Whilst the hostel was easy to find and not too inconvenient with respect to the underground system, the whole experience was a little disconcerting;

- The room was relatively clean, but locks on some doors were broken.

- The area may have been safe, but appeared rough and made you feel unsafe; there were police and fighting youths at night.

I'm sure there are better located places, for a similar amount of money, that don't make you feel so unsafe.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple