“Good if on a budget”

Central Park Studios at Lexington Ave. Co.
Wellington, New Zealand
“Good if on a budget”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Friendly owner - a character. Gave lots of tips on do's and don't's for NYC. The room I had was a "shoe box" but that suited me as I only needed somewhere to rest my head. The wifi worked in the small kitchen area. This accommodation is officially in the Harlem area. There is a launderette right opposite, and a few cafes as well close by to choose for breakfast. The train station as well is a short walk away - so it is well located, and as advertised close to central park. I would recommend if you are travelling on a budget.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank JK1791

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Very friendly owners I've got everything I needed. Wish I have found this place long time ago. If you want to stAy in NYC and not willing to spend tones of money, they have those private rooms with tv refrigerator, a little kitchen with microwave hot shower the front rooms has a better wifi.

Stayed May 2014
5 Thank Thais P
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed at this apartment style hostel here over Christmas and New Years 2013 at total of 10 nights. Greeted by owner who was very nice and made an effort to show us the main site seeing attractions and how to get to them as well as a little info on the neighborhood East "Spanish" Harlem.
Benefits of this place included very close to a major train line as well as a lot of local restaurants and larger chain fast foods (Maccas, KFC, Burger King, Taco Bell, Dunkin Donuts, Pizza). There is a large supermarket a block away as well. The apartment was fitted with a refrigerator, microwave, oven/stove top, coffee percolator and a toaster. We stayed on the ground floor facing out to the street. Now for why we rated it so poorly.
The blinds/shutters to the front window were missing around half of the actual shutters them self and we had to hang our jackets and towels over the window to give us any privacy. The bed was AWFUL. Plastic coated mattress and pillows with 2 very thin blankets lead to some very uncomfortable sleeping conditions. The old fashioned steam heating system came on whenever it felt like and we could not control temperature and it was very loud when it did come on. We found ourselves (in winter) sleeping in our clothes to keep warm. The room also smelt of old water or gas and the shower did not stay hot for very long and was very temperamental. The room is fitted with very little crockery or cutlery and all we had were the plastic plates and cutlery previous tenants appeared to have left behind (no microwavable plates or oven cooking). The toaster also did not stay down so you had to stand there holding it down to cook. The room was also very dirty and it appears there was not attention to detail when cleaning. No toilet roll holder and the toilet flooded once.
There is free wi-fi and it did work most of the time.
Overall for the time of year we stayed there in new york $150 a night (for 2 people) was reasonable compared to other hostels and hotels for Christmas and new years.
We would NOT recommend this to anyone if there were other options available. Very little care and maintenance taking with this apartment which is a shame considering the great location, food and transport options readily available.

Room Tip: Bottom floor facing the street had very little privacy.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ozmuso

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Reviewed 29 September 2013

The hostel is nothing glamorous and it's located in East Harlem, a poor neighbourhood of Manhattan, but it's really close to the subway and Central Park and you will have cheap options to eat in the area (McDonald's, BK, KFC, Subway, Little Caesars Pizza, Dunkin Donuts, etc.). Also, Santos, the owner, is a very attentious person and will help you to plan your visit in NYC

Since I have paid 30 dollars per night, the best rate I had found in Manhattan, it's worth it.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Wallace I
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Aside from the fact we were an hour late because we couldn't find the place we were greeted fondly by the owner. Our room was nice and comfy (private two person bunk-bed) with a wonderful kitchen,stove, and storage. We were two early 20's females and never felt nervous or worried about our stuff. We carried film equipment and expensive laptops and never felt harm would come to our stuff. the rooms had a normal lock as well as a bolt lock so we felt secure at all times. The bathrooms were quite small but still effective (bring shoes for the shower!) The only thing we found negative was the lack of meeting space to get to know the other tenants. We still befriended quite a few people there and the location was wonderful. It was right near the 6 line and was close to everything. The neighborhood was beautiful and had the most friendly people! i would stay again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: bring some friends and be open minded! the city is what you make it! you will have a bad time if you...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Meghan G
Falköping, Västra Götaland, Sweden
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I was there with my friends in september 2011.. Santos (I think it was his name) was a real good guy. I love Harlem, and if I´m going back to NY I think I can stay at this place on more time.. Four happy people from Sweden

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2011

I stayed here in August 2008. I turned up to the hostel in the middle of a nightmare! having just left my voluntary summer job at camp I was travelling on the subway in New York for the first time (I was an 18 year old female travelling on my own) when my backpack was stollen, which left me with no passport, flight itinery, mobile phone or any form of ID, basically I had lost everything apart from my money (thank god!!).
Anyway I made it to the hostel in such a panic as you an imagine and I told the man, I think his name was Santos, my situation. Oh my god he was such a gem he marched me down to the police station straight away and registered my stolen property, then he let me use his phone to make many phone calls back home (not cheap phoning between the USA and Scotland!) then he contacted the British embassy for me and printed out a map for me showing me how to get there. If it wasnt for Santos I dont know what would have happened, but thank god he was there to help me, very friendly understanding man, he set me on the straight and narrow which allowed me time to visit all the sights in New York during my 2 day stay.
As for the hostel it was clean, but quite stuffy, but hey it was very cheap and nicer than I had expected. I was in a bedroom with two bunk beds and there was a living room with sofa's and a TV, a bathroom, kitchen and a private double bedroom, it was like a tiny flat. I really got the New York feel staying in it and met some great people there. The area was rough, but you know what I loved it and explored Harlem without any trouble whatsoever. The subway is 5 mins round the corner as too is central park and some interesting museums round that way. If you fancy it, as I did just to explore, you can walk right down to the bottom of manhattan in about an hour and a half, which I recommend, it really soaked in the sights, sounds and smells of the city.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business