“A basic hotel in Manhattan”

Best Western Bowery Hanbee Hotel
Ranked #264 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 14 October 2011

I stayed at this hotel for one weekend night. Being busy in the city during the day, I was unable to check in until about 11 pm. The front door was locked, but luckily another person with a key card was entering at the same time. One reason I chose this hotel was that the TV Japan website listed this hotel as having their programming. Unfortunately this was not the case, although I saw a Chinese program on the TV.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 13 October 2011

You really can't beat this location. You are right in the middle of Little Italy and Chinatown and within easy walking distance to SOHO, East Village, TriBeCa, etc. For the price, the room and amenities exceeded my expectations. Everything has been recently updated and has been very tastefully done. My wife and I really enjoyed staying here. FYI: There is no onsite parking but the staff will tell you where available parking can be found and it is within walking distance. This hotel is also within walking distance to public transportation.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2011

I stayed a week there and thought it was worth the money. The staff is excellent, knowledgable, and friendly. The staff provided me with everything from maps and detailed directions to where I wanted to go, suggestions and even an umbrella one day when it was raining and I did not have one of my one. The building is very secure as you must have a room key to get past the second floor lobby. In the heart of Chinatown, near Little Italy this hotel is perfectly situated to explore all the great areas of Manhatten. It is near subway lines, excellent restaurants in Little Italy and Chinatown. Brooklyn Bridge is in walking distance. I would definitely stay there again and I highly recommend it to travelers headed there. While there, check out the Tenement Museum that is within walking distance. Worth the money and very interesting!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Jackie G
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Very chic rooms, reminds me of Europe. Small but efficient rooms, very clean in hallways, secured, great eating and waiting area in lobby which is on the 2nd floor.

Location is perfect for Chinatown, Little Italy and Soho. Close to subway, bus. Enjoy fresh produce outside the door, early opening bakery across the street, grocery stores only doors away. Famed Ferrara down the block.

Only wish there was a fan and counter in the bathroom (literally brought in the ironing board). The modern cool sinks are not practical.

Free internet but had problems due to city construction outside.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2011

I have visited NYC many times over my career. My hotel selections across all those visits have provided a range of experiences across the City.

This week I had a last-minute trip and found all of my tried and true options unavailable or even more ridiculously priced than normal. The need for a couple of nights sleep led me to the Best Western Bowery located in the Little Italy/Chinatown are of lower Manhattan.

The experience was surprising and pleasant. I read many positive reviews here on TA and they were quite accurate. The hotel is in a convenient part of the City with lots of great restaurants and interesting experiences. There are multiple subway options close at hand. I was able to get to Columbus Circle in much less time than I expected.

The room was very acceptable -- decent size, very clean, quiet, and functional. Free wi-fi and breakfast were included at a very good rate about 50% of what I was being asked to pay elsewhere. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Given the price-point of the hotel I understood basically where my expectations should fall for the visit. You are not staying at one of the expensive uptown hotels or any of the boutique options throughout the City. However, you will get a good value and service for the money you spend.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 September 2011

Overall, very pricy for the quality it offers. Hotel reception is on the second floor, so the lobby is not really what you would define as 'grand'. Not that this matters much if the rooms are fine. I got a room facing the main street, which I can safely say is very NOISY. Of course this is New York, so you know that you can expect street noise, but a better acoustic isolation would already make a world of difference.
When I wanted to go to sleep and turned open the bed, I noticed that the sheets of the bed had clearly been slept upon already. At my request, clean sheets were given but i had to insist to change also the pillow sheets (had also been slept upon because there were hairs on it which clearly weren't mine).
As compensation, I was given free use of luggage storage. However, I sleep in hotels two months per year and I have NEVER before needed to pay to store my lugage for half a day after checking out. So this was clearly a way to send me to take a walk.
The mere fact that the hotel makes you pay heavily to store your suitcases for a few hours is actually outrageous.
Breakfast is included in the -hefty- price, but rather poor in choice and quality. Also everything is served in plastic (hello Kyoto...)
On the positive side: the hotel is conveniently located if you want to go to Little Italy or Chinatown.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 September 2011

My friends and I spent two nights in this hotel Christmas weekend 2010. The morning after the first night's stay my friend was getting dressed after her shower and an average sized bottle of perfume that she had resting on the shelf above the sink fell about a foot into the sink below knocking a pretty large hole in it. Immediately after getting dressed we informed the staff of the situation expecting a bit of understanding since it was a freak accident. Instead the manager informed my friend that she would have to immediately pay $600 for the cost of hiring a plummer and replacing the entire sink. That was ridiculous since in reality only the bowl of the sink was damaged, AND it ended up being replaced by a hotel employee that we had already seen around working. That aside, my friend explained that she didn't have that kind of money on hand so could they work out some kind of payment plan. They refused stating hotel policy preventing them from doing that and when my friend told them she couldn't pay them right away they threatened to lock us out of our room so we couldn't get our things until she did. As the conversation continued they threatened to call the police unless she handed over her card for payment. That was absurd since were not disturbing their flow of business in any way and, despite the unfair way we were being treated, we were still speaking calmly and reasonably. Incidentally they did not call the police. Eventually she handed over her card and they generously (sarcasm) only charged her $500.

We stayed another night only because it would've been impossible to find another hotel in the area on Christmas and we were far away from home but our trip had definitely been soured. Coincidentally despite all the trouble that the management claimed it would take to get the sink fixed it was repaired within the hour.

I feel as though they took advantage of my friends and I only because of our age (mid-twenties) and inexperience of how to deal with the situation. They treated us as if we had intentionally damaged hotel property and were trying to get away with it. No understanding whatsoever. After our trip my friend was able to renegotiate a bill of $300 which is still very steep. I would never ever stay in that hotel again and I'm even put off by the entire Best Western chain. Throughout my life I've stayed in many hotels but this was by far the worst experience. I'm writing this nearly 10 months after the fact and i'm still incensed.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends