“Noisy noisy Hanbee... But they don't seem to care...”

Best Western Bowery Hanbee Hotel
Ranked #269 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Montreal
“Noisy noisy Hanbee... But they don't seem to care...”
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I stayed at the Hanbee for the second time this weekend. We had been very satisfied with our stay the first time, 18 months ago. Not this time. We had room 614, that faces Bowery Street. There's a major hole at the intersection and the city installed four or five large metal plates to cover it. Since the windows of that room are horrible - it's like there's no windows at all, soundwise -, you hear a loud "bang!" each time a truck or heavy vehicle passes over it. During the night, it's guaranteed it's going to wake you up. Now, we should have requested a change after the first night, but since we tend to really take possession of a room during a stay - our stuff was all over the place -, we just bought ear plugs. Did not work either, but my wife was feeling a bit sick, did not feel like moving and we thought maybe things would be more quiet during the weekend. They were not. New York, on the corner of Bowery and Grand really never sleeps, it seems. Up to the point that my wife could not sleep "at all" Sunday night, because of the street noise... When she got up after a night without sleep, she felt very sick and weak, so we decided to cut the trip short and go back home. When I checked out, I explained to the man at reception that we had to leave because the room was too noisy and my wife did not feel right. I thought he might ask a few questions or make a comment, like "I'm very sorry to hear that" or "The room is noisy??? What do you mean? That unacceptable, we will etc. etc."... He only said, "Everything has been prepaid with Booking.com. Do you want the receipt?" Judging by the man's insensitive reaction, I can only guess that they know the situation, that they wish that the poor people they put into rooms facing Bowery will be as stupid or lazy as we were (or that they will be deaf) and that if the client complains and leaves early, who cares, maybe he's prepaid the room and we'll rent it a second time. So the point of this story is: Maybe you should go to some other hotel that will actually care about the quality of your sleep and listen to you when you talk, but if you do go to the Hanbee, make sure you get a room facing the back of the hotel or Grand Street.

2 Thank RejeanRoy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Monterrey, Mexico
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We stayed 4 days at this comfy hotel on our stay in New York, and it was a great find. It might not be the trendiest or most luxurious place to stay, but it's clean, has included hot breakfast and it's a block from the subway... plus it's CHEAP for Manhattan. If you are traveling on a budget, but are set on staying on Manhattan, this is a great place. It's just blocks from Little Italy, and right in the north border of chinatown.

Plus, the staff was really friendly and was glad to assist us in everything.

If we go back to NYC we'll surely stay there again.

Room Tip: The higher floors should be quieter.
Reviewed 29 October 2011

This hotel is fairly new, the rooms are very comfortable, newly decorated and clean. The staff is very friendly and helpful with all your touristy questions such as where to eat, how to move around, etc... The location is very good, we walked to soho and little italy, and the train uptown is one block away... The breakfast is included and is very complete: cereal, oatmeal, fruit, eggs and a variety of breads and spreads... We are definitely coming back and we HIGHLY recommend it!

• Stayed October 2011
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I came here for a weekend with some friends and I was very happy with the hotel. The hotel's location is convenient to many things, particularly if you're staying around Little Italy, Chinatown, and SoHo. Even if you're not, we were able to walk uptown to the Empire State building and Central Park one day, and all the way down to Wall Street the next. It takes time, but to my mind the best way to see a city is by walking it. Once you get tired the hotel is less than a block from the Grand Street subway stop, adding further convenience.

The rooms themselves are fine and the beds are very comfortable. The rooms are actually larger than I expected for rooms in NYC. There is some noise that comes in from the street, I think that will be present no matter where on Manhattan you are. The bathroom is also larger than I expected, and I thought the water pressure in the shower was perfect. Most importantly everything was clean. You can certainly get more for the price in other cities, but NYC is expensive and I think that this hotel is reasonably priced for what it is.

There are not many other hotel amenities. There are a couple of computers for general use next to the lobby, which was useful for printing boarding passes. There was also a free continental breakfast, which served the standard fare. I didn't really sweat the amenities, however, as I was in NYC to see the city - not stay in the hotel.

Overall the hotel was a good pick and I'd definitely stay there again if I ever was to go back to that part of Manhattan for another trip.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2011

This hotel is perfectly located if you like exploring SoHo/NoLiTa Tribeca and generally the lower side of Manhattan.
I stayed 4 nights with my partner on part business part leisure trip to NYC.
The room was reasonably sized for New York, and was clean and bright.
Like many hotels in NY it did suffer a bit from traffic noise.

It is situated on the border of Chinatown and Little Italy and close to good subway transport links.
Breakfast is a reasonably mediocre affair and the wifi in the room and around the hotel is
hit and miss.
However, next to reception there are a couple of PCs with a laser printer free of charge which came in handy.

The locality of the hotel is really where it scores very high as you are a few minutes walk from some of the best independent shops, bars and restaurants that New York offers.

All in all a very pleasant no frills experience.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 October 2011

I lived in new york for a while, so i know the city pretty well. I was looking for something for few days, and this hotel was the solution. Even if it was not really cheap, the accomodation and the location were excellent. It worth the money we spent. And I appreciated the included breakfast. The room is new, clean, with lcd tv, and the staff is very gentle, available, and polite.

Nova Scotia
Reviewed 20 October 2011

I stayed here with my family this month. You literally are in the heart of Chinatown and few short blocks from Mulberry Street in Little Italy. An extremely easy walk to Soho and all the boutiques. The hotel was clean and the front desk staff very nice and efficient. We had the continental breakfast in the am which definitely would have been better had there been some yogurt or fruit salad. I did enjoy the hard-boiled eggs, though! You are two blocks from the B,D Subway line which was very convenient when heading uptown. It's also an easy walk to the Seaport area, which took about 20-25 mins to the TKTS booth. I did find our room quite noisy. I know that we are in the heart of NYC, but it seemed liked the windows weren't thick enough or not sealed properly. Bathroom and room were spotless!

Stayed October 2011, travelled with family