“We returned to this hotel after 2 years”

Best Western Bowery Hanbee Hotel
Ranked #264 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 3 November 2011

We stayed at this hotel 2 years ago and enjoyed it, so we stayed again, we even got our same room, on a corner of the building. Very spacious and comfortable. The hotel Is close to the subway and Little Italy. The staff were friendly and helpful. The free breakfast was a little better than average. No restaurant or bar, but why would want hotel food in New York.

Room Tip: We had street noise in our corner room, so in inside room might be a little quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 November 2011

I stayed here because it was near a three day meeting I was attending. Being a Best Western, and the rate, I didn't expect too much. But I was pleasantly surprised.

Check in was fast and friendly. Room was decently sized, especially by NYC standards. Bed was extremely comfortable - I slept really soundly. Bathroom is shower only, but that was fine with me. My room did not face the street, so there was little road noise. Multiple wi-fi options were available, and they password protect it so you don't have to share bandwidth with non-guests.

Location is great - right on the edge of Chinatown and Little Italy. Tons of restaurants within blocks. Complimentary breakfast is what I would expect - bagels, muffins, juice, etc. Nothing special, but was enough to fill me up.

If I was looking for a good bargain hotel in NYC, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 November 2011

My wife and I stayed in room 604. It had a large handicapped bathroom (with chair, walk-in shower). We liked the soap, shampoo, and conditioner. The room was spacious. The bed was comfortable. There was no furniture with drawers to store your clothes in. There was a wooden closet with safe. Our room faced the street, so it was noisy in the mornings with the garbage trucks and other traffic. There is not much sound proofing. We could hear people in the hallway in the morning. The room is on the edge of Chinatown and Little Italy (intersection of Grand and Bowery). The hotel is about a 3-minute walk from a Subway-J metro station, and even closer to a Grand Street-B metro station. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful.

You can pay $55 to get a private car to LaGuardia airport (JJJ Transportation); the front desk arranges it ($10 non-refundable down payment). It took about 20-25 minutes to go to LaGuardia at 7 am on a Monday morning. You can probably get a taxi for less money. We were told some people have had trouble getting a taxi to take them to the airport from Lower Manhattan. If you get a taxi, tell them to take the Williamsburg Bridge route (no tolls). If there is a problem with the taxi, tell the driver you will report him/her to 311.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street.
1  Thank jandc8491
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I stayed at the Hanbee for the second time this weekend. We had been very satisfied with our stay the first time, 18 months ago. Not this time. We had room 614, that faces Bowery Street. There's a major hole at the intersection and the city installed four or five large metal plates to cover it. Since the windows of that room are horrible - it's like there's no windows at all, soundwise -, you hear a loud "bang!" each time a truck or heavy vehicle passes over it. During the night, it's guaranteed it's going to wake you up. Now, we should have requested a change after the first night, but since we tend to really take possession of a room during a stay - our stuff was all over the place -, we just bought ear plugs. Did not work either, but my wife was feeling a bit sick, did not feel like moving and we thought maybe things would be more quiet during the weekend. They were not. New York, on the corner of Bowery and Grand really never sleeps, it seems. Up to the point that my wife could not sleep "at all" Sunday night, because of the street noise... When she got up after a night without sleep, she felt very sick and weak, so we decided to cut the trip short and go back home. When I checked out, I explained to the man at reception that we had to leave because the room was too noisy and my wife did not feel right. I thought he might ask a few questions or make a comment, like "I'm very sorry to hear that" or "The room is noisy??? What do you mean? That unacceptable, we will etc. etc."... He only said, "Everything has been prepaid with Booking.com. Do you want the receipt?" Judging by the man's insensitive reaction, I can only guess that they know the situation, that they wish that the poor people they put into rooms facing Bowery will be as stupid or lazy as we were (or that they will be deaf) and that if the client complains and leaves early, who cares, maybe he's prepaid the room and we'll rent it a second time. So the point of this story is: Maybe you should go to some other hotel that will actually care about the quality of your sleep and listen to you when you talk, but if you do go to the Hanbee, make sure you get a room facing the back of the hotel or Grand Street.

2  Thank RejeanRoy
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We stayed 4 days at this comfy hotel on our stay in New York, and it was a great find. It might not be the trendiest or most luxurious place to stay, but it's clean, has included hot breakfast and it's a block from the subway... plus it's CHEAP for Manhattan. If you are traveling on a budget, but are set on staying on Manhattan, this is a great place. It's just blocks from Little Italy, and right in the north border of chinatown.

Plus, the staff was really friendly and was glad to assist us in everything.

If we go back to NYC we'll surely stay there again.

Room Tip: The higher floors should be quieter.
Reviewed 29 October 2011

This hotel is fairly new, the rooms are very comfortable, newly decorated and clean. The staff is very friendly and helpful with all your touristy questions such as where to eat, how to move around, etc... The location is very good, we walked to soho and little italy, and the train uptown is one block away... The breakfast is included and is very complete: cereal, oatmeal, fruit, eggs and a variety of breads and spreads... We are definitely coming back and we HIGHLY recommend it!

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I came here for a weekend with some friends and I was very happy with the hotel. The hotel's location is convenient to many things, particularly if you're staying around Little Italy, Chinatown, and SoHo. Even if you're not, we were able to walk uptown to the Empire State building and Central Park one day, and all the way down to Wall Street the next. It takes time, but to my mind the best way to see a city is by walking it. Once you get tired the hotel is less than a block from the Grand Street subway stop, adding further convenience.

The rooms themselves are fine and the beds are very comfortable. The rooms are actually larger than I expected for rooms in NYC. There is some noise that comes in from the street, I think that will be present no matter where on Manhattan you are. The bathroom is also larger than I expected, and I thought the water pressure in the shower was perfect. Most importantly everything was clean. You can certainly get more for the price in other cities, but NYC is expensive and I think that this hotel is reasonably priced for what it is.

There are not many other hotel amenities. There are a couple of computers for general use next to the lobby, which was useful for printing boarding passes. There was also a free continental breakfast, which served the standard fare. I didn't really sweat the amenities, however, as I was in NYC to see the city - not stay in the hotel.

Overall the hotel was a good pick and I'd definitely stay there again if I ever was to go back to that part of Manhattan for another trip.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends