“Great location”

Ranked #282 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Montreal, Canada
“Great location”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Near Soho-Little italy-Chinatown. 2 minutes from the metro station. Room was very clean and comfortable. A place I would recommend. During a cold January, we really appreciated the heating floor in the bathroom. Only thing: very bad coffee for the breakfast. But the rest of the breakfast was perfect, there was choice and plenty for everybody.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Gwen L, General Manager at Best Western Bowery Hanbee Hotel, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel. I am so glad you enjoyed your time with us. I appreciate your feedback on the coffee. It is the first time I have heard this. Best Western does require Arabica coffee, but we may be able to do some taste tests to find something better. Please stay with us again the next time you are in NYC.

Gwen.Lytle@InterstateHotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 20 January 2014

SUMMARY: I was in the city for work a week, and needed to find a budget hotel with easy access to Washington Square. I booked this Best Western with mixed feelings as I usually stay at hotels of 4* or higher, but given that my work place gave me a limited budget, I had to make due with a 3* hotel. Well I have to say, I was very pleasantly surprised: even though this hotel doesn't look very fancy or inviting from the outside, the rooms of this hotel are really great. I have stayed at over 20 different hotels in NY, and my room was more spacious than those of most other hotels that I have stayed at (NY hotel rooms are notoriously tiny). They must have renovated all the rooms recently as the interior of the room was very modern, with a great comfy bed, large flat-screen tv and coffee maker. An additional bonus, which I especially welcomed given the freezing weather at the time of my visit, was the floor-heated bathroom!!
I also liked the fact that they have a small breakfast place on the 2nd floor. It's not comparable to the types of breakfast offered in European Hotels, however, I very much appreciated the prepared oat meal and fruits which I had every morning before heading out.
WHAT YOU SHOULD BE AWARE OF:
The corner of Bowery and Grand is very busy with traffic and there is a huge construction site going on day and night. Given that all king sized rooms look towards this street corner and all queen sized rooms look towards the back, I switched rooms from a king size to a queen size after the fist night. It made all the difference in the world. Plus, the layout of the queen sized rooms is much better than that of the king sized rooms. So I recommend that you get a queen sized room, especially if you travel by yourself.
COOL THINGS AROUND THE HOTEL:
If you are looking for some great yet very cheap food, I suggest you stop by Vanessa's Dumpling House on Eldridge Street. Great dumplings! I also loved the foot massage I got at Foot Heaven on Pell street. Finally, given that the hotel is located in Chinatown, there are fewer coffee places than in other areas. But there is a good coffee place hidden away on Mott street, called Nolita Espresso Bar.

Room Tip: Get a queen sized room looking towards the back. Much more quiet!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank emani25
Gwen L, General Manager at Best Western Bowery Hanbee Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Great review. You are certainly a traveler that know the ins and outs of NYC. Thank you so much for sharing your insights with TripAdvisor and our future guests. We appreciate you giving us a try and experiencing our neighborhood and all it has to offer. The queen rooms are very quiet comparatively. We do offer white noise machines and ear plugs complimentary at the front desk as well. The construction is adding a new water main trunk and updating some of the systems below ground. Not convenient for any of us around, but important. The underground work in front of the hotel should be complete by March 2014 and then the cosmetic day work (with less noise) will continue through the summer. Please stay with us again the next time you are in NYC.

Connecticut
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I booked this hotel because I got a great price as a loyalty member of Best Western. When we arrived, I asked to be upgraded and we got a fantastic suite where we could have played poker with a couple other people and danced the night away. Instead, we went out to a great nearby restaurant and the next day visited the nearby Lower East Side Tenement Museum.

The hotel offered a free breakfast which we took advantage of. Nothing stellar but, hey, it's free and it'll get you going. Healthy options abound. Most of the other diners were foreigners, which makes it all the better to me. Love hearing the different languages. Got into the elevator the first time and a guy asked, "Su?" Reflexively, I answered, "Si." And then apologized, maybe "oui"? I asked him which was his language. Italian. So I told him I, too, was Italian -- in Italian -- and he asked me where I was from. "America!" It was a fun moment. Love Europeans.

The area is very Chinese and can seem impossible but, with good information, you can find all sorts of interesting things to see on the LES. Also, it's very near good subway stops to get anywhere in the city.

I'd definitely go back. The room was so clean; the bathroom very modern and elegant. Just a wonderful place. Also, slept well!

Room Tip: We were on the north side, on Grand, and the morning noise was a bit much. Next time, ear plugs or a...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Your review was great! You totally made me giggle. We will have to start promoting our suites for Poker and dancing. It would easily work, if you don't disturb the neighbors :) There are a lot of European travelers that stay with us. I love meeting people from all over the world - what a great job. I am so glad you were able to get the Best Western Rewards discount and upgrade. It is a great program - that is free to sign up for online or at any of our hotels. I am glad you were able to go the Tenement Museum. It is so close to the hotels and one of my favorite things to see in NYC. They keep adding new tours that keep me coming back. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Beaumont
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Came for a family party nearby and really enjoyed the neighborhood. Room was roomy, bed large and firm, bathroom minimally stocked. Fine for what I needed it for, and very well located for exploring Chinatown, Little Italy and Ground Zero memorial.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank GretaG56
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad to hear that the hotel met your needs while you were in NYC and you enjoyed the area. There are so many great shops and restaurants in our area. We hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in NYC.

Spokane, United States
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We were very satisfied with our stay at the BW Bowery Hanbee Hotel. On the edge of Chinatown, it offers a safe, interesting variety of shops and street activity during the day and is only about 8 blocks from shopping and only 1/2 block from a metro stop. Great variety of hot and cold items for breakfast and more space in standard room (w/queen bed) than any place we've ever stayed in NYC. Value was excellent the first week of January, but prices double by March.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

We appreciate your business and reviewing our hotel. I really enjoy exploring the area around the hotel. I have found so many great shopping experiences and have never had a bad meal. Some great rates can certainly be found in January and February. We are glad you were able to take advantage of them. Please stay with us the next time you are in NYC.

Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2014

My family and I stayed at this hotel over New Year, it was our fist trip to NY as a family and we really enjoyed it. The rooms are clean and well maintained, the location is excellent as its in Chinatown and right next to Little Italy, so lots of good restaurants nearby. The staff were friendly, knowledgeable and helpful in every way, especially after our flights were cancelled because of the weather and we needed to find accommodation quickly. They re-booked us into the hotel with the minimum of fuss and removed a lot of the stress of a difficult situation. Free wifi is a definite bonus One tiny bit if feedback about the breakfast area though, its a little too small, but other then that - great!! Thank you and I would certainly recommend the hotel to anyone visiting NY

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mark H
Gwen L, General Manager at Best Western Bowery Hanbee Hotel, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel and selecting us for your visit to NYC. What a great experience to stay in NYC over New Years. So much to enjoy over that time period. Sorry to hear about your flight. I am so glad the staff took good care of you during that situation. I will certainly share you comments with my team. We look forward to nicer weather when we can open the patio seating for breakfast, so the breakfast area is not as cramped. Please come visit us again soon.

Gwen D Lytle, CHA
Ventimiglia, Italy
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed 3 nights in this hotel. It is very conveniently situated. You can easily get there from different subway stations.
The staff was kind and helpful.
The room was well furnished, and the beds were very comfortable. The only negative feature was a glass panel between the bedroom and the bathroom: you couldn't turn on the light in the bathroom without disturbing those who were sleeping!
The heating was not perfect but quite efficient, considering that we were there during a very very cold period.
The included breakfast was totally satisfying.
The area is definitely Chinatown. If you think that Manhattan only means skyscrapers and 5th Avenue designer shops, this is not your place.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
We appreciate you staying with us and taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. I will share your comments with my team to celebrate what we are doing well and improve where we can. Sorry to hear you were hear when it was so cold. A nice feature is the heated bathroom floors on cold days. The glass panel between the bathroom is wonderful to provide natural light during the day but can be difficult when you want to sleep in. We can cover it, to make the room dark. Just let us know.

Please stay with us the next time you are in NYC.

All the best!