“Decent and functional”

Ranked #272 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Decent and functional”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This is a servicable hotel that gets you a night's sleep and a place to call your hub, but certainly wont go down in history as the epic luxury plaza. It's just fine. Nothing fancy, but decent.

Front desk staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Check in was quick and efficient. The room was clean but small. We were located literally right next to the ice machine which was unbelievably noisy.

The neighborhood is Chinatown so be prepared. It's not mid- or uptown manhattan, so this part of town is cramped, busy, and dirty. Lots of construction tightens up the sidewalk and the smell of cigarette smoke and open-air fish markets is fairly inescapable.

The housekeeping service was great.

Only complaint was the general maintenance level. An elevator went down on day one making it really difficult to catch an elevator, the vending machine on my floor did not work, and the post-breakfast garbage cans in the eating area were literally overflowing. Not attractive.

Otherwise, you need a place to crash, it's affordable and fine.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Gwen L, General Manager at Best Western Bowery Hanbee Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
We are sincerely appreciative of your candid comments about our hotel, so we can celebrate what we do well an improve where we can. I am glad that the staff took good care of you. My sincere apologies about the elevator. It has been problematic and the quick fixes were not working. The elevator company has assured us that they have found the cause and repaired it. We are changing vending companies that will provide a high level of quality and service to our guests. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to surpass your needs and wishes the next time you are in NYC.

Gwen.Lytle@InterstateHotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Make no mistake, this hotel is in Chinatown. There are fish, food, and flower stands up and down both sides of the street. The nights I was there, there were more French-speaking folks there than any other language. Staff was stellar, room was great, shower head was fabulous, free breakfast was generous, and it's two blocks from Little Italy. For the money, I was ecstatic about my decision to stay here. Be sure to stop at Ferrara's just up the street!

Room Tip: Costs extra to have them watch your luggage if you need to hang around after check-out time, which i...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank TNmilt
Love your headline! I am so glad that you enjoyed the hotel. I will certainly share your comments with the staff to keep doing the great job they are doing. Thank you for selecting our hotel for your NYC trip and taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to your next stay with us.

All the best!
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

we turned up unexpectedly early at 9-ish morning instead of what we had previously advised eta @6pm. only having the thought to store our luggages but was offered a room to check in.... first good news
Mr Hugh who attended us even offered us to consume the bfast which will be closing in 10min time.... second good news
a ring call to the front desk for an additional towel was immediately being delivered to our room.
i have all praises to the services in this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank smyap
I am so pleased to hear about the excellent service Hugh and the team provided to you you during your stay with us at the Best Western Bowery. Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel. We look forward to your next stay with us.

All the best!
Reviewed 8 May 2014

When our senior class was staying in the Best Western hotel, we were ready to leave the moment we walked in . There wasn't any hot water in the hotel, there was mildew on the floors, and some of the rooms only had one bed for four people. It was the worst hotel I've ever been in my whole life. I will never attend a Best Western hotel again.

Room Tip: Just don't check in you will be disappointed
Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Brittany T
I appreciate you taking the time to review the hotel. I sincerely apologize that you did not have a pleasant or acceptable stay with us. I do not remember ever not having hot water. We did have two days in the past year that the city shut down the water for 2-6 hours and certainly tried to communicate that to our guests. Please contact me below if you feel there was an error in your bed type and I am happy to research it. Ensuring guests receive the room type they booked is very important to us.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Right in the Heart of Chinatown, near the Grand St. subway...very busy, even for New York. Might be a turn off to some people, but this is a little gem of a hotel. Friendly staff, clean & nicely decorated rooms. Rates were on the reasonable side for New York, but the hotel is a little off the beaten track, but the subway proximity makes up for it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Gwen L, General Manager at Best Western Bowery Hanbee Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review the hotel. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the hotel and the staff. The subway makes it easy to get to anywhere in NYC you would like to go. We hope you will stay with us again soon.

Torrance, California
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Hotel right in the middle of Chinatown - walking around the area was already interesting and provided new impressions. A few subway stations a couple of blocks away in three different directions - so good connections available. Lots of Italian restaurant choices in nearby Little Italy. Hotel itself very friendly, helpful staff. I arrived in the morning hours and was given a room right away- how nice of them. Room interior was modern, bathroom fresh and clean. Bed was ok. My only negative: this was late April and one night was so cold, I was shivering in the room. After experimenting with the Heating/ AC unit, I asked the front desk to help me figure out how to warm up the room and even they could not get Heating to work. Result: the manager told the front desk guy the heat was already TURNED OFF for the Spring and Summer. I got extra blankets and wore my sweater and scarf in bed. Brrrrr - cold room. Overall, a nice hotel with a good breakfast spread.

Room Tip: My room was on the 2nd floor (corridor right behind the lobby) and faced the courtyard. VERY quiet...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MBatz
We appreciate your feedback so we can celebrate what we do well and improve where can. My sincere apologies about the heat. Spring and Fall are challenging to have the correct system on. During those times, it is best to completely turn off the unit. The heated bathroom floors are also nice when it is chilly. There is an extra blanket in the Armoire and we are happy to provide more upon request. We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you when you return to NYC.

Queens, United States
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Staff is always extremely courteous, pleasant and helpful. It's why my family and I have stayed at this hotel for the past few family reunions. The breakfast is plentiful, beds very comfortable and the king suite very spacious!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Vivian L
Thanks so much for returning to stay at Best Western Bowery. We appreciate your business. Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I will certainly celebrate your comments with my staff. We look forward to your next stay with us.