“A must.”

9/11 Tribute Museum Admission
Ranked #44 of 651 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The 9/11 Tribute Museum is a project of the September 11th Families’ Association which brings together those who want to learn about 9/11 with those who experienced it. The 9/11 Tribute Museum invites visitors to share personal stories of the 9/11 community — family members who lost loved ones, survivors, first responders and rescue workers, civilian volunteers, and community residents whose healing is a testament to the perseverance of the human spirit. We provide an understanding of the loss and impact of 9/11 while inspiring the power of resilience and recovery.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Stairs / lift, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed 18 August 2009

A tiny spot that encompasses more emotion than you can imagine. There are testimonials, artifacts and photos galore but what I found the most compelling were two areas...one wall dedicated to the flyers for missing people and the small room with walls full of pictures of those who were murdered that day. It is tough to put into words how affecting those photos are except to say that when viewing it, you can imagine yourself or your loved ones in one of those photos. Kleenex is provided and I must say, many of us needed it. For such a small place, they have done a wonderful job of bringing us all back to that day and reminding us of how many innocent people were murdered in one of the most horrific ways imaginable. I felt I owed it to the victims to see it and somehow let them know they will never be forgotten.

1  Thank charlottebea
Write a ReviewReviews (1,240)

Reviewed 3 August 2009

This museum is supported by families of 9/11- with their personal stories, and for some, their loved one's belongings. The museum is set-up as a very organized time line. Just walking in and seeing the pictures and videos by the entrance gave me goosebumps. Then, I wondered if I could make it through without crying. I couldn't. There were tissue boxes in the museum for all of you who are like me. At the end you can leave a note card behind with your own personal message or story.

1  Thank work2travelTexas
Reviewed 13 July 2009

At the start I must say, that we did not do the tour, only viewed the center. It was $10 and I'm sorry to say, but I thought it was not worth it. The center is quite uninteresting and I don't know... just simply boring. The only interesting object in there is a piece from the airplane. I far much more recommend the Ground Zero Museum Workshop on 14th Street. At this one, I had a hard time pushing tears back several times, they did a really really good job here.

2  Thank Edulka
Reviewed 2 July 2009

This is a must for anyone. I live in and grew up on the central coast of California so when the World Trade Centers were attacked on 9/11 I had way of comprehending the size of this catastrophy. For me, going to ground zero was about gaining understanding and paying tribute the the heroes of that day.

After reading online about the Tribute WTC Visitor Center and seeing who is was run by I was going. As I made my way toward the center, I saw a line of people waiting for th tour which was sadly sold out. So I paid and made my way in. The crowd was large around the video screens and I waited patiently for my turn to watch the video. I made my way up to the screen and watched the 7 or 8 minute video on the WTC history. The sense of community expressed in the video impressed me in a city that is stereotyped as unfriendly (although I don't agree). The video ended with the events of that horrible day. This was one of the most uplifting and yet heart-breaking things I could ever see. As you continue through you see artifacts from the victims and rescue workers. The second video described the world's reaction and the rescue efforts. The last thing before you go downstairs are the posters of the missing from those dreadful days after 9/11 and notes to the victims. Once downstairs you have the opportunity to listen to people's stories who lived and lost.

When I walked out I felt emotionally drained and I still hard tears streaming down my face. Seeing the center changed my perspective of the events of 9/11 and really gave me the perspective I desired and needed. I don't think that anyone who has never lived in the city can really ever understand the mass devastation but walking through the visitor center gives you a much better idea what those days were like. It is such a fitting tribute to the loved ones who perished so tragically. I can't recommend seeing this wonderful tribute enough but keep your eye out for the kleenex.

2  Thank prncskt
Reviewed 1 July 2009

Like the vast majority of people, I witnessed the tragic events of September 11, 2001 from a distance. Having followed the story as it unfolded in the days, months and years after the attacks, I watched the documentaries, read the books and viewed countless photos, in hopes of gaining a deeper understanding of what transpired. The one piece of the puzzle that was always missing though was the personal connection to those whose lives were lost or changed on that day. When I decided to visit New York City this year, I searched for a way to make my first visit to World Trade Center site a meaningful one. The Tribute WTC Visitor Center seemed the obvious choice.

On Monday, June 15, 2009 I was privileged to attend their walking tour of the World Trade Center site. The tour itself is a relatively short walk along Liberty Street, across the pedestrian bridge, through the World Financial Center and Winter Garden Shops whose windows overlook the Ground Zero site. The site itself is today a major construction zone where the foundations are mostly completed for the new towers and memorials that will rise there in the near future.

However, the most important part of the tour were the guides, all of whom are volunteers and have some connection to the events of 9/11. Our tour was guided by Paul, a retired FDNY Lieutenant and his wife Denise. Paul spoke of first hearing the news of the attacks and how, with encouragement from his wife Denise, he instinctively knew that he had to go to the site. He did what firefighters do, he went toward the danger to help the victims and his fallen brothers. He spoke of his arrival at the site and how he learned, from the two firefighter sons of the man, that a close friend he had served with had been lost in the collapse of the towers. He spoke of the efforts of those who worked tirelessly in the days after the tragedy in an attempt to find survivors and recover the remains of the victims. And, most poignantly, he spoke of the endless funerals he attended for his fallen brothers and the 46 friends he and Denise had lost on that day.

Denise gave an exceptionally strong presentation on the timeline of the events of 9/11 as they unfolded. Without a hint of politics or personal opinions, her words captured the outrage, anger and horror of what we witnessed from afar nearly eight years ago. To stand on the spot where debris from the buildings once lay, overlooking the site where the buildings once stood and hear one intimately connected to the events speak so passionately, was an experience I will never forget. The final stop, at the small, peaceful memorial in the American Express building, provided the perfect place to reflect on our experience and share a few moments with our guides.

I returned to the Visitor Center and viewed the films and artifacts on display, ending in the gallery where the posters made by the families and loved ones of the missing were on display. Standing there, looking at the pictures of the lost souls, reading the desperate pleas written on the posters, with stories told by Paul and Denise still fresh in my thoughts, I realized that I had finally discovered the missing piece of the puzzle. I now had the personal connection.

Had I visited the WTC site without the benefit of the Tribute WTC Visitor Center, the experience would have likely been far less meaningful. But seeing this hallowed ground through the eyes of Paul and Denise and viewing the exhibits in a place created by the September 11th Families’ Association provided a unique and deeply moving experience which I will never forget. I will never again see the events of September 11, 2001 in the same way.

5  Thank MikeyDVegas