“Fun and relaxed”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: East Village
Cross street: Avenue A
Description: Rated as one of the NYC's Best Wine Bars by ZAGAT SURVEY, In Vino offers a cozy cave-like atmosphere, knowledgeable service, and well over one hundred unique and unusual wines culled from all over Italy. We are also known for our authentic, rustic Italian fare. Our meatballs and lasagna are among the best in the city, and our porcini ravioli in a truffle cream sauce can’t be beat. Check out our seasonal specials and our list of artisanal cheeses. Sundays also bring in a crowd for our select list of half-price bottles, and Mondays bring in cheeselovers for our $1 per slice night!
Reviewed 18 April 2014

A small Italian in Alphabet City. Great wine list and very good Southern Italian food. The staff as mentioned in some reviews wear whatever they are wearing but don't let that mislead you on their knowledge of the menu or the wine list.

The atmosphere regarding service is very European, they take their time so you can enjoy the wine and food. However casual they may seem the staff knows the menu and the wine list very well.

I had the Ravioli Porcini and the veal shank. I recommend both. Don't be afraid to ask for suggestions regarding the wines, we tried 3 different bottles and all were awesome.

The seating is close together but this is not a formal white linen place. Enjoy the ambiance and chill out with good food and great wine.

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Great food (I had the fried baratta and the porcini ravioli which was heavenly), great atmosphere and good wine. Service was fine but not worth the 20% they added to the bill. And they should not be serving prosecco in wine glasses!

Definitely worth a visit for the food alone

Reviewed 15 February 2014

I wanted to share with you my experience dinning at your restaurant “In Vino.”

A month ago my wife and I wanted to book a reservation to a place where the food was great and the atmosphere was romantic. Yelp had rated you all very high with 4 and a half stars and had great comments. When we placed the reservation online we were happy with the menu posted not knowing that there was a Pre-Fix menu (There was nothing on the website nor on the reservation website regarding the menu for that night. On the 6th I had gotten a voice mail from a Makayla asking if we were still interested in the reservation, just to “Make sure we wanted to confirm.” I called back and was unable to get into contact with her and spoke to a gentlemen who told me it was a Pre-Fix menu that would cost $150. I explained that it would be ok but before I could ask what was on the menu he hung up saying “Ok ill make sure you’re on the list”. I honestly didn't think anything of it or question it because I knew that it would have been too late to make reservations for another place with only 8 days until Valentine ’s Day.

We arrived 15 minutes early and was welcomed nicely to our table. As we sat down we realized that this type of setting was not what we expected. The tables were small with barely any room to put plates on, the music was way too loud that my wife and I had to scream across the small foot and a half table just to talk, and the tables were so close together that we had no room. It wasn't a good start to the night.

The waiter came over in Jeans that were hanging lower than his buttocks and gave us the menu. This was the first time we were able to see what would be available to dine on that night. We chose: The meatballs & mozzarella ball for the Appetizer, Ravioli and Shrimp for the starter Entrée, and I didn't know what to do for the main Entrée when I DO NOT eat steak or fish(Which would have been great if you told us before we booked the reservation)

The only food we enjoyed were the Meatballs and the Raviolis. The Mozzarella ball was watery as if it sat out all day. The Shrimp was too spicy that it made my wife and I both sick to our stomachs with the pasta being over cooked, and the fish, which I didn't touch at all, was hard to cut and chew as though it was cooked hours ago and reheated(As told by my wife). Also the Broccoli Rob was under cooked and was so hard to eat that I was choking on it.

After paying the $193 bill we left hungry and went to a nearby pizzeria and ordered a whole pizza. I have never in my life been so disappointed with a meal before that I had to go and buy a $15 pizza because the food was so bad in your restaurant that I didn't want to eat it.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

My friends and I went to the restaurant on a Sunday night. We ordered a few bottles of wine, appetizers to share and an entrée each and the food came out bland and was not cooked properly. When my friend ordered her steak medium rare and it came out tough and brown in the centre, she naturally tried it and sent it back. The owner had the audacity to come out and lecture her in front of the entire restaurant making a scene. He condescendingly asked if she really wanted to send it back. Then the servers huddled around the bar staring and gossiping about our table. Our server did not even come back to fill up our water glasses but had the nerve to add a 20% gratuity for our table of 5. (Note: the policy on the website states it is applied for groups of 6 or more)
What made the overall experience so terrible was the completely disrespectful attitude of the owner. He even pulled out his phone to show us what the definition of ‘medium rare’ is. Really? When New York restaurants are a dime a dozen, you would think this little hole in the wall would treat its customers with respect. Instead this restaurant owner and its servers lectured us at our table, charged us for the full price of the uneaten, overcooked steak, added a 20% gratuity arbitrarily and spoiled a perfect fun night. Avoid this place unless you want a scolding with your bland, overcooked and overpriced food. Left with such a bad taste in my mouth just like their food!

1  Thank Jasmine W
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Went to dinner with friends who are regulars at In Vino and very NYC savvy.

My friend suggested the lasagna, and though I normally not the type to ask for suggestions, this time, was a hit!
It's a small restaurant that is well decorated in "old italian dome style ceilings", paintings etc.
The wine was delicious, though unfortunately I don't have that registered at the moment.

Now, I am hungry for Lasagna from In Vino and I'm not in NYC at the moment..... :-(