“Great room- not so great location”

Upper Yorkville Suites
Ranked #43 of 75 New York City B&B and Inns
Helena, AL
“Great room- not so great location”
Reviewed 21 June 2011

We were very uneasy when we struggled through the subway with our luggage (website said it wasn't recommended with a lot of luggage--- I wouldn't recommend it with ANY luggage!) and get to UYS and find it locked up. I had tried calling several times and sent two emails with our arrival times (more than the website requested). There was no machine to leave our message. The phone just rang and rang. Someone called me back once while I was in the subway so it didn't pick up. When we got there, my husband and I both called repeatedly on the phone until someone finally answered and told my husband to get someone from the hardware store next door to let him in. He finally got David, one of the owners, to come and let us in.
He was nice and let us into our room and proceeded to show us around while we tried to catch our breath from climbing the steep stairs with our luggage. We were very pleased with our room. It was clean and everything was working well. It was loud, as the bedroom portion of the room is situated over 3rd Ave and McDonald's. However, we enjoyed the room, free internet, and television. Our last day of stay, the internet stopped working properly, and we weren't sure of who to ask to fix it so we just dealt with it.
The subway was very close (about a block and a half away) which was great. We hired a driver to take us to the airport. We weren't about to try to navigate the subway with our bags again.
Pros: great room, internet, television, kitchen
Cons: location a bit daunting (Spanish Harlem) for a newcomer to New York, lots of stairs

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Leigh710

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Australia
Reviewed 8 June 2010

We were very happy staying in the Upper Yorkville Apartments for 2 months. They are nicely set out with wooden floors. I loved having cleaners daily and there were several laundries in the nearby streets. There is a supermarket very close by and it is about 10 blocks from an organic supermarket. There is no smoking so there were no nasty lingering smells. We were there in winter and while there was snow outside we were warm inside. You do need to be able to handle stairs as there is no lift. We stayed in the one bedroom which has a sofa bed in the lounge room. They can handle up to 5 people. Many of the bedrooms are facing Third Avenue which can be noisy (it is New York); earplugs easily fix that if you want silence. It was easy to get to all the tourist areas as the subway system is fantastic and a station is very close by. We would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank AustraliaJEL
Coolangatta, Australia
Reviewed 29 March 2010

After doing alot of research and being warned off vacation rentals, we chose here, and it was a nice surprise to be greeted on our arrival by David, whose is one of the co-owners. It seems most of the units bedrooms face onto 3rd av., except the York suite, so it can be noisy at times at night, especially as we had come from the quietness of the ski fields.
Everthing else about the unit was fine, we stayed in the Broadway on the 2nd floor, and it was a pleasure to get back to the unit after a day of the city bussle. As we were there for 5 nights we got the weekly metro pass, as we used the handy subway everyday, and it takes only 20 minutes or so to get downtown. This was our first visit to NY, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and left a bit worn out.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank paulgl2
Regina
Reviewed 20 January 2010

I stayed at Upper Yorkville in November of last year. Been to the city many, many times before, but never stayed in this area before. El Barrio (the neighbourhood) is fantastic - amazing food, about 4 blocks to Central Park.....spectacular setting. Upper Yorkville Suites was by the far the best accomodations I've ever had the pleasure of staying in whilst in NYC...I was in the Lexington suite, which was enormous and very spacious, with every amenity you could think of. It is a bit of a hike up the stairs to the 3rd floor, but they were kind enough to help me up....a friend flew down from Toronto to join me on the weekend, and she was just as impressed. Very trendy studio - so perfectly appointed! Subway just around the corner! Downtown in 15-20 mins via subway. Best place to enjoy the locals - if you're not a touristy Times Square traveller - go to Upper Yorkville Suites!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank rothcarrie
Chester
Reviewed 9 January 2010

We stayed in the Lexington suite for 5 days over Christmas and were really pleased with our apartment. The pictures on the website were accurate and in fact we were pleasantly surprised that it was bigger than we expected. We were greeted by the housekeeper who helped us with our bags and showed us around. We had a full kitchen with fridge/over/hobs/etc and a good sized bathroom

We had a great lounge area, with very comfy couch and LCD tv. The bedroom area was big enough and comfortable. However, the bedroom area was streetside and a bit noisy at certain times in the morning. The central heating is also loud when it comes on - the pipes rattle a little. The building is next to a McDonalds which meant relatively loud deliveries/collections early in the morning. Having said that, we were prepared for a noisy stay - it is New York! Also, if you are making the most of your time in New York you will be so tired by the end of the day you will sleep soundly anyway! The subway station is 2 minutes walk away and we had no problems whatsoever with the area in general.

The room was cleaned to a perfect standard everyday and we were well stocked with cereals, biscottis, tea and coffee.

Overall we were delighted with our stay. We are a couple in our late twenties so it was perfect for us as we spent most of the time out and about. This was the perfect base to come home to.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChesterBeth77
Milan
Reviewed 11 December 2009

We booked one of their serviced apartments almost by chance but we do not regret. We stayed in the Lexington Suite for a week and had a great time. Clean and user-friendly, this flat has all you need to cook and some breakfast food included in the price. You get daily cleaning service and the pieces of furniture are new (there is also a flatscreen tv-set).
Perfect for 2, you can sleep up to 4 persons thanks to the sofa-bed.
The agency is run by two very friendly and efficient brothers (David and Bob) who also manage the neighbouring hardware shop and can help you finding restaurants and services you may need in the neighbourhood (including a laundry and a taylor). Do not be impressed by the fact that the area might not be so posh as the rest of the Upper East Side: it is anyway quite safe and you can walk around with no problems.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Dublin
Reviewed 13 August 2009

.Had my reservation cancelled twice! They have a policy which makes you pay the full amount prior to arrival. I spoke to the owner on the phone and explained my student credit card would not be able to take the full amount. Therefore my reservation was cancelled.

I booked it again and explained to someone else I was paying cash and had made travel arrangements guaranteeing I would be there. One week past, no word of cancellation. I spent a day on the train travelling and tried and tried to contact the owner for a period of 5 hours prior to arrival but couldn’t reach him.

When I arrived I didn’t know if I had a booking! I then found out it was cancelled. JOE (owner) sent me an EMAIL (no phone call) while on the train. It was pure luck the apartment was still available.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple