“Great Location!!”

Broadway at Times Square Hotel
Ranked #190 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 30 September 2011

The hotel is in a great spot, a 1 minute walk to Times Square. The breakfast was ok, not great, not bad. The room was tiny but that's to be expected, like one of the other posters on here said , it's not that clean if you look close, well they were right, so I just didn't look close, but let's just say it was obvious that the bed skirt and spread was not washed in a bit. I would stay there again because of the great location, wifi also worked great!

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank shilee3

Reviewed 25 September 2011

My husband and I were on our first trip to NYC and chose the Comfort Inn. It's got a great location, about a block from all the action of Times Square, but without the noise. Our room was very small, but at least it was clean and very quiet. The air conditioning worked very well in our room. We had no problems sleeping due to the noise or being too hot. If you want a hotel with a view, however, this is not it! There was a brick wall to look at outside! It didn't matter to us, though, because we weren't in the room very much. The staff was very friendly and helpful and always greeted us with smile whenever we walked in the hotel and when we got out of the elevator, etc. The breakfast was good - eggs, sausage, bagels, cereal, yogurt, juice, coffee, etc. It was a good way to start the day. It was also very close to some really good pubs and restaurants. We never had to walk far to get something to eat. We went to two Broadway plays and walked there both nights. Maybe 6 blocks at the most. We had a great trip to New York City and would visit again and stay at the Comfort Inn.

2  Thank MargyE
Reviewed 22 September 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 3 days and I have no complaints. Considering how expensive hotels are in this area, this one proved to be a great bargain.
It is located only a short walk away from Times Square yet on a quiet street. Acts as a great base to explore midtown Manhattan on foot and close enough to subways to take you to other parts of the island easily.
The room was small but clean and nicely decorated, with a good sized closet, dresser and a desk. Not much a view but we didn’t come to NYC to stay in the room anyway. The front desk staff were very nice and the complimentary breakfast gave us all that we needed to get our day started (bread, eggs, fruit, yogurt, cereal, pastries). Yes the breakfast room is small but we never had an issue finding a table.
My only complaint is that the elevator is dreadfully slow. We ended up using the stairs a lot as it wasn’t worth wasting time waiting for the elevator to arrive.

Room Tip: Higher level rooms won't have a view of a brick wall.
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Friendly woman at front desk at checkout, decent free breakfast buffet, okay-sized bedroom, very nice flatscreen TV, good hot shower, good quality mattress. That's the good stuff.
As I always do in NYC, I checked for signs of bedbugs under the mattress, and there was a large amount of human hair on the boxspring along the headboard, like it hasn't seen a vaccum in a long time.
The worst: Noisy noisy noisy noisy in-window air conditioner that unavoidably blows straight onto the bed. The fan knob had no effect, and It was full blast all the time.
Overall it was a recipe for a sleepness night, but I managed to position a chair and a stack of pillows to block the freezing jet of air, and used earplugs to block the sound.
It was a hot night, and the windows are unopenable.
I didn't complain, and just managed to get by as a single business traveler.
However, if I was traveling with my wife or son, it would have been absolutely unacceptable.

Room Tip: If you get a high floor, and you're on the west side, you still won't see the street, but yo...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank AmeriEuroMan
applecorehotelsstaff, Operations Associate at Broadway at Times Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2011

Dear AmeriEuroMan,
Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed our amenities and found our staff friendly. We are very surprised that you found hair on the boxspring. We will definitely investigate the matter further. We are also sorry you found the air conditioner troublesome. Like most Manhattan hotels, our space in the rooms is limited, so do not have too many options when it comes to arranging furniture.
We hope you will give us another chance to host you.
Liz from Apple Core Hotels

Reviewed 18 September 2011

In selecting a budget-level hotel for a quick overnight visit on a weekend that seemed to command high hotel rates, I chose between staying near the train station and staying near the Broadway show we would see. I picked the latter. I knew it would not be as fun as staying in some neighborhoods, but we were looking for speed and value this time around.

While this Comfort Inn is just a block off of Times Square, etc. and all that madness - the Naked Cowboy seems to never age - I had one of the best sleeps I've ever had after returning at midnight from said show. We were on the fourth floor with a "no view" window facing two brick walls and it was absolutely silent (and dark because of the walls). I guess room choice really does make a difference. Room is NYC small but I've stayed in smaller here, actually - there was space in this one for a chair and a desk. The bed was comfortable, HBO on the TV though we didn't watch it much, a clean and workable bathroom with hair dryer, tissues, shampoo, soap, We did use the safe to store our valuables. It's in a very large closet with light, which would be nice for stowing suitcases if you were staying for several days.

The staff was kept busy as there were a number of senior citizens staying who seemed to need extensive help with directions, and foreign tourists. I do greatly appreciate we were able to get a room when we checked in early. Breakfast consisted of waffles, bagels, cereal, fried egg patties, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, raw fruit, coffee and juice - plenty of choice for me though I guess it would get old every day. Cramped and crowded in the breakfast room so we ate in our room. And yes, the elevator is verrrrrrrrry slow.

Overall, this is a fine budget hotel, but keep the word budget in mind. If you want something a little nicer or in a more interesting neighborhood, scan the sales in advance.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank daisygirl59
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Although this hotel is ok I would recommend staying somewhere else. We stayed a week earlier at the Distrikt Hotel (which is not far away from this one and only a little bit more expensive but much better). The location of the Comfort Inn is right on Times Square which made staying here a very noisy, crowded experience. Although Times Square is good to visit once, you don’t really want to be staying here when you are confronted with hundreds of tourists trying to cram into a very small area. Our room was on the street side which meant being woken constantly by the goings on down below.

The rooms are small (expected for New York) but are pretty basic and could use a refresh with the furnishings looking pretty tired.

The staff were always very friendly and helpful which made the stay here that much better. They were able to assist us in a number of ways and were only too happy to do so.
We had breakfast included in our rate however we only ate here once over the four nights we were there. It was very basic continental style fare however, the dining room only fits about 4 people in it at any one time which meant that the first morning we were there, guests were standing around or spilling out into the reception area eating their breakfast.

This isn’t a bad hotel; I just think there are much better options to choose from in New York for the price.

2  Thank Bewhirly
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Staying anywhere in Manhattan is not cheap however when one wishes to combine value for money with convenience, the Comfort Inn Times Square is an excellent option to consider.

The location is just 2 minutes from Times Square and is yet on a quiet street. It is an excellent base from which to explore NYC, and it found it particularly convenient in the evenings when returning from a show, as Theater Row is within easy walking distance and thus no need for a taxi. The police presence in the city (partly I imagine due to the 9/11 anniversary) was also especially noticeable, and I felt completely safe at all times.

The hotel itself is pretty much as described on its website, there is a standard continental breakfast from 6:30 am to 10:00 am. On offer are breads, rolls, waffles, fruits, cereal, yoghurt, egg, tea, coffee, juices etc. I found it perfectly adequate to start the day. The breakfast room itself is small - I counted just seven (7) tables, however at least for the first hour of service, there was plenty of room available.

The room was bigger than I imagined and everything worked! Most importantly, there is an in-room safe and at least for a solo traveler, plenty of storage space. There was also a very useful NYC guidebook in the room (not to be removed) and in addition, the hotel themselves also provided a very useful guide to their amenities and polices as well as a lot of other general information about NYC - attractions, theaters, transportation etc.

Not that you would be inclined to spend much time indoors, but there is a large Plasma-Screen T.V with something like 35 T.V Channels included, 2 in Spanish and the remainder in English - covering all the big networks - News, Movies, Sport etc. There is also a pay-per-view option. The rooms also have an FM Radio beside the bed which includes an iPod dock, and a reading light which I always like.

There is no 'room with a view' as others have commented, and the room pretty much looked out onto a shaft/brick wall, however again and as for most people, I did not find this an issue considering the minimal amount of time you will spend in your room.

The en-suite facilities were also fine, perfect water pressure from the shower nozzle and temperate control excellent. Housekeeping of a very high standard with facecloths, towels, and complimentary toiletries (shampoo and shower gel/moisturizer) replenished daily. On two occasions though, I returned to the room at around 1pm to take a break between points in my itinerary and at that point of the day, the room was not yet serviced. However, this is not a issue I would regard as in any way significant. The shower tray was also very small, and really only had enough space on which to put the free toiletries provided - which then kept falling off. I would have appreciated a bigger tray or a rack.

I found that I did not have cause to interact a lot with staff as I really did not have any problems here - however from the front desk staff to the bellman, I found them all to be courteous, pleasant, and professional. In addition to the breakfast room on the ground floor, there is also a fitness center and business center, both of which are accessed using your key card. There is a printer in the business center and access was never a problem. The business center has 2 PC terminals and comfortable chairs. The lobby itself is very small and perhaps useful only when one is awaiting a taxi. Ivonne at reception called a taxi for me on departure and made several follow-up phones to ensure it was on its way and that I would be on time for international check-in.

I would just have two minor issues - one with the in-room Air Conditioning as I found you could either have it switched on at full velocity or not at all - there seemed to be no 'medium' option. Secondly, the elevator must be the slowest I have ever encountered and so often frequently decided to take the stairs, again this is not a significant problem but it may slow some people with lots of luggage.

Overall, I was very impressed with the value, service, and location on offer here and would heartily recommend it as an ideal and convenient base for a stay in Manhattan.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lower floors may be best due to the very slow elevator.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo