“Broadway at Times Square Hotel”

Broadway at Times Square Hotel
Ranked #183 of 473 Hotels in New York City
A TripAdvisor Member
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Excellently placed in the heart of Manhattan, you are in a walking distance to most of the objectives in the area. Clean, comfortable, stuff is polite and curteous. Breakfast a bit less rich (no vegetables) and gym room minimal, but overall a good place to stay!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with fru.pl
Write a ReviewReviews (2,160)

Reviewed 11 January 2014

This hotel was by far the better of the two I stayed in during my 2.5 week stay in NYC. I chose this hotel because of its proximity to Times Square (oh, and complimentary breakfast) and I'm not kidding, it is crazily close!
It was great for us visiting Port Authority, Central Park, American Museum of Natural History, Rockefeller Centre/TOTR, Radio City Hall etc.

Our room was located on 5th floor and had a view of W 46th street below which was great so we could dress for the weather. Ours came with a queen bed, had a cooler fan (which I reckon could use with an upgrade - it was noisy and the grill/cover was falling off), coffee maker, a bathroom with the usual shampoo and soap and shower/bathtub combo. There was no mini fridge in our room.

The complimentary breakfast was also good, with offerings of donuts, pastries, oats, fruits, yogurt, eggs, tea/coffee etc. There is also a microwave here which was a bonus so we could heat up any leftover takeaway.
If you're after yummy Chinese food, give John's Shanghai across the road a go.

There are 2 computers in the lobby area as well where printing is complimentary. The gym room had a cold water machine which was great cos we filled our bottles each morning prior to our day out.

Housekeeping didn't clean our room a couple of times after we had removed the 'Do not disturb' sign and there was one particular housekeeper who wasn't very friendly.

There is a church next door and there were a few homeless people sleeping outside, but that did not affect my stay in any way.

Majority of the staff were friendly and helpful. I would definitely choose to stay here again and recommend this to my friends thinking of visiting NYC.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank WLH_Oz
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here 3 years ago. That time it was named Comfort Inn Times Square. The name has changed but many of the staff are still the same.

This time I stayed 7 nights from 27 th Dec to 3 rd January with three if my grown up children, in 2 rooms.

The hotel's location is right in the centre of Times Square. The Visitor's centre (where the Ball was displayed) is just round the corner so are many of the great theaters and shops.

It is within walking distance from Central Park, Rockefeller's centre 5 th Avenue, grand Central. Even Empire State and Macy's are not that far away.

We came for the count down but we didn't queue like many people since weather was freezing, but because of the location, we were still able to go out around 11.30 pm on New year eve and be part of the crowd for the New Year Count down and immersed ourselves in the spirits of joy,

The staff are friendly and helpful especially those whom I have met before on my previous stay.

The rooms are small but adequate and clean. The hotel provide a good breakfast with eggs, cereal, bread, yogurt, fruits, coffee tea and juices. Tea room is available to guests on a 24 hour basis where we could eat takeaway food and relax while watching CNN.

Overall, a very good hotel and right in Times Square.

I would not hesitate to stay here again on my next visit to New York.

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank HsuDR
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This hotel was great! Very clean, great location, and everyone that worked there was friendly and helpful. Our room was very nice and the bathroom was clean. The location is awesome, half a block from Times Square. The complimentary breakfast was a nice extra, especially in NYC where meals are so expensive. They stored our luggage when we arrived early in the morning on the first day. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank rjmso
Reviewed 3 January 2014

It has been two years since we stayed at the Broadway at Times Square Hotel. So between Christmas and New Year we were fortunate enough to get a king sized bed on the 9th Floor. Much of what I wrote about before still stands: Location, friendly service, parking facilities, cleanliness, home like features, fine breakfast. All there. Excellent. AND, AND they redecorated the place, made the public rooms on floor one larger, roomier. And the colors in our room 907 were great! The bathroom was redone. It was a fantastic surprise. They took a great little hotel and made it magnificent. And I kid you not one bit.

Room Tip: Never did have a bad room in this hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chuck1980_74
Reviewed 2 January 2014

This hotel kept oming up with the best price for my week stay in nyc, i was a bit concerned why it was the cheapest thought there must be something wrong with it. I didnt find many thing wrong and would highly recommend. I had a room at the back so wasnt bothered with outside noise but there is abit of noise from the corridor. The doors slam and there was someone in the room next to me that kept going in and out about 10 times in the mornings and afternoons slamming the doors which was really annoying. The rooms are good size and had everything i needed. The shower ran cold though after only a couple of minutes so have to be quick. Having a room at the back was great for the winter as window is a view of a wall, i didnt open the windows so dont know if this will be good in summer when you would want fresh air. There isnt a fridge so i kept my drinks on the window sill with the curtain closed it kept my water very cold.
I only had my room cleaned twice as travelling along and dont require services everyday, i put the private sign on the door and on two occassion housekeeping rang to see if i required cleaning, this both happened whilst having afternoon nap and on one occassion rang twice and then knocked on door which annoyed me as woke me up. Room was great size for one person bed kingsize but quite soft and pillows too soft for my personal liking.
I only had breakfast one one occasion which was good and also like you can have tea and coffee during the day as and when you want.
I kept myself to myself so didnt really ask reception for anything but they were polite when checking in and out. This is great for time square and metro links also great bar across the street. Lift very slow so you get fit walking upstairs.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This is our second night in a 5 night stay...If it wasn't for the location I don't think I would want to stay here again.

The location is amazing and really one of the only positives about this hotel.

The rooms are ridiculously hot!!!!! The windows aren't allowed to be opened so you are stuck with a loud air conditioner or sweating when it is minus 5 degrees outside.
The hallways smell like weed- funny because it is a non smoking building.
The cleaning staff only half finished their job- pillows left thrown on the side of the half made bed.
The shower only stays hot for one person- a bit hard when there is two of us.
The bathroom is unclean and has other peoples hair stuck to the walls (not sure if it was actually clean before we got here)
The check in staff were a bit short with us, but they did store our stuff for us when we arrived a few hours before we could check in.
The brochure says that vending machines are available- this is not true meaning you have to leave the hotel to get refreshments- no mini fridge either to keep stuff cool if you do want to stock up on beverages.

Not having an issue with outside noise at this point- we are a fair way to the back of the hotel and up 7 floors.

Elevator is slow- quicker to walk the 7 flights of stairs.

The rooms are quite tiny which makes it a lot harder with the general heat of the room.
All in all, you are paying for the location- which is fine, but the main point of your hotel room in NY is to shower and sleep- neither of which you can actually do comfortably here.

I am not normally one to complain, but I don't think that the reviews here give the best overview of the hotel but more the location.
location is definitely a 10.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
applecorehotelsstaff, Marketing & E-Commerce Associate at Broadway at Times Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear danni2402,
Thank you for your review. We’re sorry you did not enjoy your stay overall. The windows cannot be opened due to safety reasons, but we apologize for the heat in the room. Our staff goes out of the way to make sure that the rooms are thoroughly cleaned. We sincerely apologize if they overlooked anything. We’re surprised that you found the front desk staff to be anything less than friendly. They regularly receive praises on their friendliness and helpfulness. We will continue to work with our staff to make sure that all guests receive excellent customer service. Our rooms may seem small, but they are about average for hotel rooms in Manhattan.
The vast majority of our guests are very pleased with their stay, not only because of our location, but because of our excellent customer service and overall great value. New York City is expensive; few if any hotels at our price point provide free WIFI, domestic phone calls, and breakfast, all of which go to make us an excellent value proposition for NYC visitors.
We hope you will give us another chance in the future.
Liz from Apple Core Hotels