“Unfriendly staff at the front desk - location okay”
Review of Hotel Newton

Hotel Newton
Ranked #317 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 3 August 2011

The front desk clerk did very little to make my stay enjoyable. No smile, no 'Hello!', no 'How are you?', just a straight 'Yes?' sounding like 'What do you want?'. His attitude was a good sign of my overall experience in that hotel.

I had booked a room with two twin beds. The front desk staff charged me for both nights upon arrival. I came a little early and the room was not ready. When I asked to confirm that the room had two beds, I was told it had a queen size bed instead. I insisted on getting the room type I had on my confirmation. The front desk clerk offered to add a roll-away bed instead! When I said 'I would want the room I had reserved', he reluctantly moved me to the appropriate room type.

The cleaning staff was noisy and had corridor conversations as early as 7 AM in the morning.

At check out, I had the same front desk staff and the same attitude. Again, no greetings. I had to ask for a detailed receipt, apparently a stretch from the usual service.

I am a reasonably accommodating customer. It takes me a lot to express dissatisfaction. In that case, I found the service level below average - at least below what I typically experience in three stars hotels.

Fortunately, a getaway in New York city is not made to spend too much time in the hotel. I found the location was good as it was right by the subway line that stops at Penn Station. The rate was decent at $ 150 per night. If service is not among your top criteria, this is a satisfactory choice.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Frunky
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2011

I thank you for your recent comments and I want to begin by fully apologizing if there was any mistake on our part. If you booked the room with two twin beds, it is our job to give you that room and if that room is unavailable, you should immediately be upgraded. This is if you booked directly with the property and not through another channel like a Expedia/Hotel.com which cannot guarantee specific room types unless booking the Deluxe brands. I did want to only mention that we would never have housekeeping staff working on any floor at 7 am in the morning as our staff doesn't arrive until 8 and aren't allowed upstairs until 8:45am. I really hope that you give us another chance as our front desk staff has never been labeled unfriendly, on the contrary, our friendliness and accomodating nature is what really sets us apart from other properties. We look forward to you giving us that fighting chance and if you decide to, please contact me personally.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Newton

Reviewed 3 August 2011

I checked what was available and it said it was a double bed.
I checked it out on the hotel web site. The web site said amenities included a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker.
When I got to the hotel with my print out that said a double bed and went to the room, it was the size of a closet with a single bed, bed side table and a tv on the wall.
It was 11 feet wide with no refrigerator ,etc.
The bed was situated with my head 4 feet from the air conditioner. I got
4 hours sleep because it was so noisy and the air was blowing only head.
It was clean and I did feel safe for a positive comment.
I would not have stayed there if the available room had been accurately
represented.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank bandywine

I thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize if you did not recieve exactly what was reserved. It sounds like you recieved our Standard single room with one twin bed. If you booked on our website and booked for the Superior Double, you should have recieved it. However all of our rooms have the TV's on the wall as it is the sylish way to accomodate in this day and age. We also carry microwaves and refrigerators in all of our rooms including the Standard single rooms. I would ask you to call me personally on your next visit to the city as I would like to be given the chance to make up for the mistakes that we clearly made along with a upgraded room. If not, I again apologize for the confusion and wish you well in your future travels.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

I stayed at the Newton for 5 days in April 2011. I read reviews on trip advisor (the only one I use) and it fit my needs. It is on the upper east side and the subway was out the front door and not even a half a block away. Very nice subway station and it took me everywhere I needed to go. No restaurant in hotel but plenty close by; McDonalds, Starbucks and a few deli's. The lobby was spacious and had two computer stations (pay as you surf) and a fast elevator. The room was clean, especially nice bathroom and very comfortable for one person.
The hotel staff were somewhat arrogant and standoff-ish, but efficient. The doorman was the nicest person on staff. So willing to help. Needed to walk up steps to get into the main lobby and he was always at the ready. Area was safe to walk about in the evening. They did not have an airport service to offer, but I usually book the hotel shuttle round trip and no problems there. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank bjrWisconsin

I thank you for your comments and am so happy that you enjoyed your time with us. I have seen all your positives regarding our property but I wholeheartedly want to apologize if there was any instance of arrogance on the part of the staff. We take this very seriously here at the Hotel Newton. Our customer service is paramount to our success and I guarantee you that with this comment and the one above that also mentioned our staff that we will immediately look into the situation and make sure that there are changes made if necessary.
I thank you for the comments regarding our doorman as we agree that he is one of the jewels of this property.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

We currently live in California but my husband is a native New Yorker. We usually take a trip to NYC about once a year and have stayed in different hotels everytime. I had heard about the Hotel Newton a few years ago but never ended staying there. This trip we were taking some especially budget-minded family members for a little reunion of sorts. I remembered the Hotel Newton, checked it out some more, and decided this sounded like a good location and a good deal as well.

My husband and I reserved a Superior Queen as did his older sister and her partner. The younger sister and her husband and two teenaged daughters went with the Deluxe Double. When we arrived those of us who had reserved the Superior Queen rooms were upgraded (at no extra cost) to Deluxe Queen rooms. We were on the 8th floor but I can't remember the room number.

The Deluxe Queen rooms were very roomy by NYC standard with plenty of room. We had a nice flat screen television and a good sized closet. Rooms were very clean. The bathroom was a bit small and the only thing I found weird is that there was a window in the shower itself that wasn't privacy glass. As our room faced the street with other buildings across the street I felt a little uncomfortable as the window would show everything from about the waist up. Maybe it was one way glass?

Our family members traveling with teenagers ended up on another floor and their room was considerable smaller than ours, especially with two teenaged girls and all their stuff. They had a problem with their air conditioner not working but when they complained it was promptly replaced with a brand new one.

Yes, the elevator is slow and there is only one but as we were never in a hurry that wasn't a big deal.

Front desk staff was great!

Location is good in a nice family neighborhood. When walking on a back residential street we even came upon a little girl and her dad with a lemonade stand. We also spotted actor Matt Dillon one night! Depending on which subway lines you are taking the station is either very close or a bit of a walk. There was a deli (can't remember the name) a couple of doors south of the hotel that served great breakfast items at really good prices. We got our breakfast there everyday.

I would highly recommend the Hotel Newton to anyone looking to stay at a comfortable, clean, reasonably priced hotel in NYC.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for in room size.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Kim H
Reviewed 27 July 2011

A clean, small hotel in a great location - an easy walk to Central Park, with both a subway and tour bus stop within a block or two. The front desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful from everything to recommending restaurants (Carmines is great) to finding some duct tape to fix a suitcase torn by the airline. We were upgraded to a Jr. Suite, which was an unexpected bonus. Would definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We stayed here for 5 nights. Superb location for hopping on the subway, spotless rooms, friendly and helpful staff.
Thank you all for making our stay in New York so pleasant - will definitely recommend and stay again.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 2 July 2011

I stayed at Room 912 which was exceptionally comfortable and clean. I had a nice shared bathroom, not a dust to be seen, just spotless. There was some noise outside the hotel which could be heard in the room but overall the noise was minimal.

A very great location in the Upper West Side, few blocks to Central Park, Starbucks, Bank of America ATM, Gourmet Café, charming boutique, nail spa and Subway access - it has it all.

Thank you to Jan, Eduardo, Andrew, Charles and to all the staff for the best stay I have ever had away from home. Their dedication is second to none and they exceeded my expectations. I look forward to my next NY holiday and I'll definitely stay at Hotel Newton. xx

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2011

Thank you for your kind words and I will be sure to pass on your regards to Eduardo, Jan, Charles and Andres as they love to see their names on reviews

Director or Reservations and Revenue