“Good value for money”

Ranked #317 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Jonkoping, Sweden
“Good value for money”
Reviewed 26 August 2011

The location is great (right next to 96th street subway where 1,2 and 3 trains always stop). The rooms are nice but the bed has a plasticlike layer. Not very nice, specially not if it is hot since it easily gets wet and sticky. The elevator is also slow and not very nice. Other than that everything is good apart from the fact that they charge you for WiFi, Great value for New York all in all. Would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StefanLsweden
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 2 September 2011
Thank you for such a kind review and we look forward to your next stay with us. The plastic is a precaution that some hotels use which I think should be mandatory. We are doing everything in our power to make sure that the Bedbug epidemic that has hit many hotels does not hit us. These coverings are part of our plan to combat this as they are special for this problem. However, you don't actually sleep on the covering as there are bed sheets that go over them. I hope this answered your question and we look forward to seeing you soon

Director of Reservations and Revenue

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Hotel Newton is located in the Upper West Side, within a few yards of West 96th Subway station. The area is great, with many small independent food shops to purchase snacks, and two doors away from the Manhattan Diner where I had breakfast every morning.

I thought that the hotel was excellent value. The room was a good size, the bed was comfortable and it was very quiet. Each room is equipped with an iron and ironing board, hairdryer, fridge and microwave, even the small single room that I was staying in. It was spotlessly clean with no sign of the bed bugs that plague some other hotels.

The staff were generally helpful. The daytime Reception staff were good but the evening staff were not so knowledgeable or helpful and, in fact, completely misdirected me on one occasion. However the housekeeping staff were excellent, particularly on my first day when I had a problem with the hairdryer and it was sorted out immediately.

I was a lone female traveller and felt completely safe in the area. On one occasion I travelled home on the subway after midnight and didn't feel uneasy at all.

I would highly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank linshears2016
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 19 August 2011
I thank you for your kind words and we look forward to your stay. I wholeheartedly apologize if you were misguided by our staff in any way. Any hotel needs a knowleadgeable staff especially in New York and our staff is normally great at all NY attractions and if not, should research before sending you. I look forward to your next stay with us and please contact me personally to reserve.

Brasilia, DF
Reviewed 9 August 2011

I was there for four days in late July 2011 and think it would be nice to keep the hotel guests' luggage for a short period.
On the contrary, had to use a fee based system to keep it for two hours, while having lunch in the vicinity, after check-out.
Another negative aspect was the refusal of a maid to help my wife to open the door of a toilet for public use at the hotel.
Carlos - Brazil

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Carlos S
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 19 August 2011
Thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay. We, as many hotels have a luggage lockers that are locked for the safety of our guests that are fee based. Our doorman can also store your luggage in a room downstairs for a short period if needed for future reference. Regarding housekeeping there are signs for a restroom on every floor but these are only for guests that are staying in the rooms with shared bath, hence the refusal. We only have one public restroom and that is one the second floor. I hope this explains all and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 4 August 2011

The hotel location is very good, next to the subway. Also the hotel is very clean. Few things I was not happy about and the hotel management might consider to improve... 5 USD per day for Internet access is very expensive, considering the fact that in most places in the US it is free. The worst thing is that they restrict access to one device only!!!!! One night I was able to convince the guy in the front desk to provide me with additional code to my iPad. The next day, another staff member asked for additional 5 USD so I gave up. The elevator is extremely slow and not air-conditioned. The airco in our room was very very noisy so we had to switch it off at night. Last but not least.. Eduardo, the bell-staff was so helpful and
nice!!! very nice person.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank n699fjw
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 19 August 2011
Thank you for your comments regarding our property as we take all into serious consideration and use them to improve ourselves. I completely understand your comments about internet and we are working to changing this system. Unfortunately, most New York Hotels still charge for Wifi but I am hoping that it will be a thing of the past very soon. We are also working on putting in a new elevator and hope to have news soon. Lastly, we know that Eduardo is a gem as you can read from all reviews! he will appreciate your comments.

Toronto
Reviewed 3 August 2011

The front desk clerk did very little to make my stay enjoyable. No smile, no 'Hello!', no 'How are you?', just a straight 'Yes?' sounding like 'What do you want?'. His attitude was a good sign of my overall experience in that hotel.

I had booked a room with two twin beds. The front desk staff charged me for both nights upon arrival. I came a little early and the room was not ready. When I asked to confirm that the room had two beds, I was told it had a queen size bed instead. I insisted on getting the room type I had on my confirmation. The front desk clerk offered to add a roll-away bed instead! When I said 'I would want the room I had reserved', he reluctantly moved me to the appropriate room type.

The cleaning staff was noisy and had corridor conversations as early as 7 AM in the morning.

At check out, I had the same front desk staff and the same attitude. Again, no greetings. I had to ask for a detailed receipt, apparently a stretch from the usual service.

I am a reasonably accommodating customer. It takes me a lot to express dissatisfaction. In that case, I found the service level below average - at least below what I typically experience in three stars hotels.

Fortunately, a getaway in New York city is not made to spend too much time in the hotel. I found the location was good as it was right by the subway line that stops at Penn Station. The rate was decent at $ 150 per night. If service is not among your top criteria, this is a satisfactory choice.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Frunky
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 4 August 2011
I thank you for your recent comments and I want to begin by fully apologizing if there was any mistake on our part. If you booked the room with two twin beds, it is our job to give you that room and if that room is unavailable, you should immediately be upgraded. This is if you booked directly with the property and not through another channel like a Expedia/Hotel.com which cannot guarantee specific room types unless booking the Deluxe brands. I did want to only mention that we would never have housekeeping staff working on any floor at 7 am in the morning as our staff doesn't arrive until 8 and aren't allowed upstairs until 8:45am. I really hope that you give us another chance as our front desk staff has never been labeled unfriendly, on the contrary, our friendliness and accomodating nature is what really sets us apart from other properties. We look forward to you giving us that fighting chance and if you decide to, please contact me personally.

Reviewed 3 August 2011

I checked what was available and it said it was a double bed.
I checked it out on the hotel web site. The web site said amenities included a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker.
When I got to the hotel with my print out that said a double bed and went to the room, it was the size of a closet with a single bed, bed side table and a tv on the wall.
It was 11 feet wide with no refrigerator ,etc.
The bed was situated with my head 4 feet from the air conditioner. I got
4 hours sleep because it was so noisy and the air was blowing only head.
It was clean and I did feel safe for a positive comment.
I would not have stayed there if the available room had been accurately
represented.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank bandywine
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 4 August 2011
I thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize if you did not recieve exactly what was reserved. It sounds like you recieved our Standard single room with one twin bed. If you booked on our website and booked for the Superior Double, you should have recieved it. However all of our rooms have the TV's on the wall as it is the sylish way to accomodate in this day and age. We also carry microwaves and refrigerators in all of our rooms including the Standard single rooms. I would ask you to call me personally on your next visit to the city as I would like to be given the chance to make up for the mistakes that we clearly made along with a upgraded room. If not, I again apologize for the confusion and wish you well in your future travels.

Wisconsin
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I stayed at the Newton for 5 days in April 2011. I read reviews on trip advisor (the only one I use) and it fit my needs. It is on the upper east side and the subway was out the front door and not even a half a block away. Very nice subway station and it took me everywhere I needed to go. No restaurant in hotel but plenty close by; McDonalds, Starbucks and a few deli's. The lobby was spacious and had two computer stations (pay as you surf) and a fast elevator. The room was clean, especially nice bathroom and very comfortable for one person.
The hotel staff were somewhat arrogant and standoff-ish, but efficient. The doorman was the nicest person on staff. So willing to help. Needed to walk up steps to get into the main lobby and he was always at the ready. Area was safe to walk about in the evening. They did not have an airport service to offer, but I usually book the hotel shuttle round trip and no problems there. I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank bjrWisconsin
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 4 August 2011
I thank you for your comments and am so happy that you enjoyed your time with us. I have seen all your positives regarding our property but I wholeheartedly want to apologize if there was any instance of arrogance on the part of the staff. We take this very seriously here at the Hotel Newton. Our customer service is paramount to our success and I guarantee you that with this comment and the one above that also mentioned our staff that we will immediately look into the situation and make sure that there are changes made if necessary.
I thank you for the comments regarding our doorman as we agree that he is one of the jewels of this property.