“Clean and convenient”
Review of Hotel Newton

Hotel Newton
Ranked #317 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Spent 4 days here and found it a great starting point for exploring NY. The elevator wasn't working one of the days, but otherwise a hassle free experience. Room was on the small side but cleaning was great. Only thing I really missed was free wi-fi, which meant quite a few visits to Starbucks. :-)
Location is perfect with Central park close by and subway station just a few metres away. Next door diner was good for breakfast and there are many nice restaurants on nearby Amsterdam ave. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank HGR12
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2011

Thank you for your recent comments and we look forward to your next stay with us.
Believe me, we are working on the wifi rates.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Newton

Reviewed 15 September 2011

The hotel staff was great - I left a valuable set of notes, they found them, and scanned those pages I needed urgently and sent the rest by FED EX. While the rooms are a little warn, the hotel was very clean, the location near the subway was great, the rooms were quiet, the microwave and fridge were convenient, and it was close enough to riverside park and central park for jogging. If they upgraded the furniture and decor this would go from a really good to a really great choice.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank lawyerx2
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2011

I thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay with us! I am so happy that we were able to get those papers back to you! I will pass on your message regarding the furniture to the General Manager as we normally do a sweep of all rooms every 6 months and replace any furniture that is beginning to look worn with brand new pieces. We look forward to your future stay with us.

Reviewed 13 September 2011

Well, where to start? We booked a king room at the Newton Hotel on 96th Street. The room was really small, you couldn't rest your suitcases on the floor, we had to leave them standing up. There was no space for a closet.

The rooms are really dark, the walls are brownish and really old. An average dorm room has more space. Guess because it's NY they can charge you lots of money for internet, parking etc. The bathroom was the best thing about the room, it was clean and we had enough space in there.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BojanLo L
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2011

I thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay and I am sorry if your stay with us did not meet expectations. I worry about part of it because I feel you came expecting a King room but the Hotel Newton has never carried King rooms. We never advertise to carry them and hence I feel you may have booked through a third party that guaranteed you something that was impossible for us to deliver to you. Regarding the actual rooms, all rooms are brand new and the wall paper is brown not dirty. It is meant to go with the cherry oak and dark brown furniture and all rooms come with closets so I didn't quite understand that comment. We certainly wish you well in your travels and if you ever decide to try the Newton again, I would probably suggest a Deluxe room as it is much larger.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

What a neat little place-- on Labor Day weekend, a single room happened to pop open and I snagged it, and wasn't let down. The room was pretty spacious with a desk and the remodeling was really nice, although I am not a fan of hideous bedspreads, but the bathroom is indeed gorgeous. Nice front desk service, but paid wifi was a bummer (albeit cheap). Would definitely return.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank wandersmuch

We thank you for deciding on the Hotel Newton! I am happy that your stay is a good one even though you don't like our bedspreads! I have to admit, I'm not such a fan of them either! They are very warm however! We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

I stayed here last month with my teenaged son. It was an excellent, quiet retreat where we could rest up between bouts of experiencing this wonderful, overwhelming city. We went everywhere on the subway, and it was a huge plus to have it deliver us virtually to our front door. The rooms are not fancy but the beds were very comfortable, it was very clean, and it was quiet. What more do you really need? Front desk staff were polite but not exceptional.

Room Tip: rooms at the back of the hotel are extremely quiet
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank DrMiriam

Thank you for your comments and for pointing out our accessibility to Metro stations! We are definitely working on making our front desk exceptional.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

Very nice for 4 ladies traveling to the US Open tennis tournament. We had a deluxe junior suite and enjoyed having the 2nd sink in the kitchenette area. Very safe and quiet.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank willtravel2001
Reviewed 7 September 2011

This may have been the smallest hotel room I've ever stayed in, but it was as expected for a building of this vintage. The bathroom was nicely and recently renovated. The location was great for my purposes, (near Columbia University) with the subway station right outside the door. There are good restaurants nearby (the Manhattan Diner was great!) I would stay here again, and would recommend it to friends who are looking for a less expensive alternative to hotels further downtown.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo