“Perfectly located”
Review of Hotel Newton

Hotel Newton
Ranked #318 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 10 May 2012

My daughter and I stayed for 8 nights when visiting one of my other daughters who lives on the upper east side. We booked a double superior queen.The hotel was clean, beds comfortable and bathroom adequate. Plenty of hot water for a bath. Bath towels on the small size. Patience is necessary when waiting for the lift as it's very slow and small, especially in the mornings as the staff use it when cleaning the rooms. TV, microwave, coffee machine, fridge, iron and board all provided. Windows opened which is a bonus in a hotel which is often too warm. Plenty places for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The metro is a 1 minute walk, as is the crosstown bus which goes through Central Park to the East Side. Front of house staff were helpful. No free wifi. Luggage room requires 5 dollars in order to leave your case in the locker. Would stay again.

Room Tip: If you are in and out of the hotel a lot, choose a room on the lower floors as you won't get fru...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2012

I thank you for your recent review and I am happy that all seemed well. We will look into all of your usefull tips in an effort to better your next stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again.

PS We will be looking at the towel comment right away!

Reviewed 1 May 2012

My wife and I stayed here for eight nights last month and loved it. Our room was a Superior Queen. The few complaints I see on this website seem to stem mostly from reserving through hotel-booking sites, which often promise room types the Newton doesn't even have! We booked through the hotel itself, which has a number of packages, and were very pleased. Got our room for less than $200 a night -- not bad for Manhattan, especially for this level of quality. The Newton is right on top of a subway station for the 1, 2 and 3 lines, which put us in Times Square in only 20 minutes -- 5 minutes on an Express train. The room was spotless with no bedbugs, while the big bathroom had good water pressure in the shower. Staff were knowledgeable, helpful and friendly.

The many amenities in the immediate neighborhood including a 24-hour drug store, a performance space, a live blues and jazz club and a couple of good delis. Loved the Lumberjack Breakfast at the Manhattan Diner two doors down (their sausage was the best I've had in years; some sort of spice in it). Central Park and the Hudson River both a short walk away. Beautiful architecture on the buildings in this safe neighborhood.

I can honestly say we'll stay here on future trips to New York and not look elsewhere.

The only complaint -- and this is very minor -- is that the wife felt the bed was a little too soft, but I thought it was fine.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank SiamSamBangkok
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2012

Thank you for your recent review and we look forward to your return to us. I am pleased that all was a success and yes, when you go directly through any hotel website, there is no room for discrepancy as you are booking the exact room type. Great tip for our prospective guests

Reviewed 1 May 2012

The room was a nice size and the beds were large and comfortable. Everything was spotlessly clean. There was a microwave, refrigerator and ironing facilities, and our room was en suite. Reception was very helpful and friendly, especially when we needed to move room at the end of our stay (we went from 3 guests to 2 and we had booked a smaller room for the 2 of us on the last night). Aircon was efficient. Excellent transport links - less than a minute to the subway and only two stops on the express 2&3 to Times Square. Plus there are nearby buses which go across-town. It was just a couple of blocks from Central Park.

On the downside, there was no safe which was surprising for a hotel of this calibre. Also the room was quite noisy as we were west-facing (looking onto the road) and the windows weren't great.

(As an aside, don't bother eating at the nearby Manhattan Diner which is affiliated to the hotel: we were seated right at the back next to the crazy person when there were plenty of available seats near the front with the sane people. The service was poor, the waitress was generally sullen and she wouldn't give me the right password for the allegedly free wifi. Very disappointing. However, DO bother with the little smoothie bar right next to the hotel - yum).

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Heather_Lon
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2012

I thank you for your recent comments and we look forward to your return to us. On your next stay, please come down with your valuables as there is a complimentary safe deposit box in the lobby of the hotel next to the luggage storage room. I am sorry if this was not communicated to you. I will definitely pass on your comments to the restaurant next door. Unfortunately, it is not our restaurant but does provide us with room service and we expect the customer service to be exactly the caliber that you would recieve while staying with us.

Emilio Morales Jr

Reviewed 25 April 2012

When I booked the room there was no indication I would be given a TINY room with a very small single bed. Old carpets ..smelly and the smallest bed I have sly on since college. When I tried to leave before checking into the room they refused to give me a refund and had major attitude saying well it never actually said a queen sized bed.

Room Tip: Don't get saddled with 307 which is a TINY TINY room ..can touch all four walls...single bed
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank Jake S
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2012

Thank you for your recent comments and I am sorry if the room was not up to your expections. However , I would like to point out that the actual room is clearly pictured on our website and this is the only place that we sell this petite single. It runs approximately $40 to $50 below our next room rate and all of the singles are brand new rooms with new carpeting and new furniture. We have not logged any complaints given to our front desk in the month that you arrived to us regarding this room and would never anything other than what the room comes with and is. We have never had any complaints of smelly carpeting and so are a bit surprised by the comments. I would suggest you trying our Superior brand of rooms which is much larger in the future and wish you well in your future travels

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Nice hotel with small rooms that have everything we needed (including a microwave and refrig).
Make sure you ask for a room with a private bathroom. If you want a quiet room, please specify that too. The staff was so helpful, we really felt at home.

Room Tip: ask for a private bath and quiet room
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank A T
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I've stayed many times. It is in a convenient location especially if you wish to avoid the bustle of Midtown - yet only 2 stops on the express subway which is almost outside. but a good reason for staying is the staff. Always helpful and charming. And whilst the prices are not the cheapest in the area - they are the best value. Clean rooms with fridges and microwaves, comfortable beds, tv ensuite if you wish with some sharing a full bathroom with one other room. The area has some great restaurants and you feel like you are staying in NYC as a local. Central Park is just three blocks away - take your trainers and go jogging with the locals!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank tootingdel
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

I definitely thank you for your review sir! I truly believe that what sets us apart from all other hotels is our down to earth staff. We encourage them to be natural with guests and not cookie cutter. That may work for some hotels but we want our guests to have the feeling of home and we hope you do when you visit us. We will see you soon

Reviewed 30 March 2012

Honestly, I was scared to stay in the Hotel Newton after reading TripAdvisor reviews. But it's nice! The front desk staff was always friendly and helpful. The entire hotel is spic-and-span clean. And my room was huge, with two full beds, an oversized bathroom and a huge extra area -- plus a wet bar. I'd like a safe in the room (they're adding that) and a fitness room with at least a treadmill, but you get what you pay for, right? This place was dirt cheap compared to comporably NYC hotels and all the basics were done well.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank RudyLynn

Thank you for your review and I am pleased that we pleasantly surprised you!!!! Hopefully this means you will return to us!!