“Good value for money”

Ranked #307 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Good value for money”
Reviewed 15 May 2012

We stayed here for nine days in April 2012 and enjoyed it. The Newton provides good value for money, it's clean and the staff were generally very helpful. The only minor drawback is that there's only one lift, which is slow at times. There's a subway station right outside and plenty of places to eat nearby. We'd be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AlanW2011
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
I thank you for your review and look forward to your return to us soon.

Director of Reservations and Revenue

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 14 May 2012

This was our third stay at the Newton, which is our hotel of choice in NYC. Here are my pros/cons/advise:

Pros: Immaculate hotel – they have a great housekeeping staff. This is as clean a hotel as I have ever been in. Friendly front desk (I will single out Charles and Jan). Wonderfully comfortable bed (they are firm). Location, Location, Location. The 96th Street subway has express trains downtown (2 and 3), which are real timesavers. If you don’t like the subway, the M104 or M5 bus will get you just about anywhere you want to go. The M96 crosstown bus makes getting to/from the eastside a breeze. The upper westside is very safe and has a great neighborhood feel.

Cons: Our window unit air conditioner was old and loud. Since it is a window unit, there is no closing the blackout drape. Consequently, our room was flooded with daylight by 6:30am.

Advise: Do NOT buy a ticket from the front desk for a ride to the airport on the Airlink shuttle. I was told by the front desk that the Newton was the last stop before going to the airport. It was the first stop and we spent an hour bouncing around Manhattan in an Econoline van going to 4 or 5 other hotels. I’m sure they get a commission selling tickets for this, but to lie about how the service operates left an unpleasant taste in my mouth after a wonderful stay. The Manhattan diner next door is good, but you can save a few bucks at breakfast by going to the very good Corner Café at the SE corner of 94th/Broadway. Gotham Wines & Liquors is right across the street and has a nice selection at fair prices.

The Newton is not a 5-star hotel and does not pretend to be. You will get a clean, comfortable room in an excellent location. The staff makes every effort to please. If you are courteous and pleasant to the staff, they will go out of their way to help. You get a lot of “bang for your buck” at the Hotel Newton.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank rlbintegrity
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
I thank you for your recent comments and let me begin by apologizing if it seems that our staff was deceptive in any way. We normally never say whether it is a last stop unless we are specifically told by the company when booking. there is a chance that we were the last stop and after booking, the company added other stops but we never guarantee yes or no and if it seems as we did, again, I offer my sincere apologies. It looks like all else seemed well and we surely look forward to your return to us.

Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed 10 May 2012

My daughter and I stayed for 8 nights when visiting one of my other daughters who lives on the upper east side. We booked a double superior queen.The hotel was clean, beds comfortable and bathroom adequate. Plenty of hot water for a bath. Bath towels on the small size. Patience is necessary when waiting for the lift as it's very slow and small, especially in the mornings as the staff use it when cleaning the rooms. TV, microwave, coffee machine, fridge, iron and board all provided. Windows opened which is a bonus in a hotel which is often too warm. Plenty places for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The metro is a 1 minute walk, as is the crosstown bus which goes through Central Park to the East Side. Front of house staff were helpful. No free wifi. Luggage room requires 5 dollars in order to leave your case in the locker. Would stay again.

Room Tip: If you are in and out of the hotel a lot, choose a room on the lower floors as you won't get fru...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
I thank you for your recent review and I am happy that all seemed well. We will look into all of your usefull tips in an effort to better your next stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again.

PS We will be looking at the towel comment right away!

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 1 May 2012

My wife and I stayed here for eight nights last month and loved it. Our room was a Superior Queen. The few complaints I see on this website seem to stem mostly from reserving through hotel-booking sites, which often promise room types the Newton doesn't even have! We booked through the hotel itself, which has a number of packages, and were very pleased. Got our room for less than $200 a night -- not bad for Manhattan, especially for this level of quality. The Newton is right on top of a subway station for the 1, 2 and 3 lines, which put us in Times Square in only 20 minutes -- 5 minutes on an Express train. The room was spotless with no bedbugs, while the big bathroom had good water pressure in the shower. Staff were knowledgeable, helpful and friendly.

The many amenities in the immediate neighborhood including a 24-hour drug store, a performance space, a live blues and jazz club and a couple of good delis. Loved the Lumberjack Breakfast at the Manhattan Diner two doors down (their sausage was the best I've had in years; some sort of spice in it). Central Park and the Hudson River both a short walk away. Beautiful architecture on the buildings in this safe neighborhood.

I can honestly say we'll stay here on future trips to New York and not look elsewhere.

The only complaint -- and this is very minor -- is that the wife felt the bed was a little too soft, but I thought it was fine.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank SiamSamBangkok
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Thank you for your recent review and we look forward to your return to us. I am pleased that all was a success and yes, when you go directly through any hotel website, there is no room for discrepancy as you are booking the exact room type. Great tip for our prospective guests

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2012

The room was a nice size and the beds were large and comfortable. Everything was spotlessly clean. There was a microwave, refrigerator and ironing facilities, and our room was en suite. Reception was very helpful and friendly, especially when we needed to move room at the end of our stay (we went from 3 guests to 2 and we had booked a smaller room for the 2 of us on the last night). Aircon was efficient. Excellent transport links - less than a minute to the subway and only two stops on the express 2&3 to Times Square. Plus there are nearby buses which go across-town. It was just a couple of blocks from Central Park.

On the downside, there was no safe which was surprising for a hotel of this calibre. Also the room was quite noisy as we were west-facing (looking onto the road) and the windows weren't great.

(As an aside, don't bother eating at the nearby Manhattan Diner which is affiliated to the hotel: we were seated right at the back next to the crazy person when there were plenty of available seats near the front with the sane people. The service was poor, the waitress was generally sullen and she wouldn't give me the right password for the allegedly free wifi. Very disappointing. However, DO bother with the little smoothie bar right next to the hotel - yum).

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Heather_Lon
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
I thank you for your recent comments and we look forward to your return to us. On your next stay, please come down with your valuables as there is a complimentary safe deposit box in the lobby of the hotel next to the luggage storage room. I am sorry if this was not communicated to you. I will definitely pass on your comments to the restaurant next door. Unfortunately, it is not our restaurant but does provide us with room service and we expect the customer service to be exactly the caliber that you would recieve while staying with us.

Emilio Morales Jr
Nyc
Reviewed 25 April 2012

When I booked the room there was no indication I would be given a TINY room with a very small single bed. Old carpets ..smelly and the smallest bed I have sly on since college. When I tried to leave before checking into the room they refused to give me a refund and had major attitude saying well it never actually said a queen sized bed.

Room Tip: Don't get saddled with 307 which is a TINY TINY room ..can touch all four walls...single bed
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank Jake S
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Thank you for your recent comments and I am sorry if the room was not up to your expections. However , I would like to point out that the actual room is clearly pictured on our website and this is the only place that we sell this petite single. It runs approximately $40 to $50 below our next room rate and all of the singles are brand new rooms with new carpeting and new furniture. We have not logged any complaints given to our front desk in the month that you arrived to us regarding this room and would never anything other than what the room comes with and is. We have never had any complaints of smelly carpeting and so are a bit surprised by the comments. I would suggest you trying our Superior brand of rooms which is much larger in the future and wish you well in your future travels

Jerusalem
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Nice hotel with small rooms that have everything we needed (including a microwave and refrig).
Make sure you ask for a room with a private bathroom. If you want a quiet room, please specify that too. The staff was so helpful, we really felt at home.

Room Tip: ask for a private bath and quiet room
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family