“Melbourne17”

Ranked #311 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Melbourne, Australia
“Melbourne17”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The hotel is in a good location, being situated on Broadway and close to Central Park and Riverside Park. It is a little out of the main action. But this was a good thing. The subway is within 75 metres and is surprisingly easy and cheap to use. It will connect you to wherever you wish to go and it is entertaining in itself.

Many good eateries are within walking distance.

The hotel is clean and the room sizes are reasonable. The cost of the rooms appear reasonable when compared to other hotels.

On the negative side, the airconditioning system consists of the old box in the window type, that was used in Australia 20 years ago. If you are in New York in June, July or August, the airconditioning will disappoint you! According to Charles, on the reception desk, every room at the hotel has the same type of airconditioning. You can of course sleep with the window open provided that New York City traffic noise and smog doesn't both you. I also noticed that flywire screens where not fitted.

Free access to a computor was not available. This is unacceptable in this day and age.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melbournetraveller17

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Stayed six nights in a "superior queen" room. Room was nicely appointed and spacious especially for a New York City hotel. Location was right across from the 96th street subway station, just a few blocks from Hudson River Park, and four blocks from Central Park.

The staff was exceptionally nice and accomodating.

A few very minor concerns, the bed was very firm, the elevator was slow, and the hallways were not airconditioned.

Room Tip: This hotel provides many different levels of accomodations. The "superior queen" room inc...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank J81_12
, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Thank you for your kind words and we look forward to your next stay with us.
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We felt we were in the perfect location to enjoy New York during our recent stay at the Hotel Newton. The location was amazing--a family-oriented neighborhood with many interesting & affordable restaurants, close to Central Park, Riverside Park, and next to a subway station. This was a much better area for us than noisy Midtown. The staff was also very pleasant & the room was immaculate. The elevator is slow, but we usually took the stairs. The only drawback for us was that the window air-conditioning unit made a lot of noise. We could overlook that, and we would stay here again!

Room Tip: We had a "suite" with an extra sitting room, which was nice. The room also had a refrigera...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Thank you for your recent review and the best part about it was the comment on our staff. We work daily to ensure that our staff and their customer service skills shine so thank you for noticing and we look forward to your next stay with us!

Arundel, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I did not like this Hotel. We booked through Travel Republic, and I did not realise that we had booked the shared bathroom, it was not made clear in the booking process. Anyway, we stuck with it. Very tired on our arrival in NY. We were on the top floor and were given a key for the bathroom which was at the end of the corridor. Could have done with dressing gowns at least to be provided. The room was very tight, not so much small but that the furniture was too large so no room to manouvre. The bed was too soft for my bad back and I ended up sleeping on the floor. It was very warm in the room, impossible to open the window (quite cool outside at night), so we had to use the dreaded air-con, very noisy.

Once outside the Hotel all was fine. Lots of food shops, chemist, restaurants, taxis, and just steps to the metro.

No point in staying on a high floor as no views from the windows, just dirt and buildings.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
I thank you for your recent review of our property. I wanted to address the issue of the shared bath. There are only 4 companies that sell our shared bath and in each website which I have just finished checking again, it clearly states shared bath in bold letters. In addition, unless we are sold out of the other room types, you will always see clearly shared bath and private bath categories whereas the shared bath normally ranges $25 to $50 below the price of the regular room. I have personally just went on Travel Republic and the first category clearly states Standard-shared bath. Regarding the room, if the A/C was noisy in any way other than a regular window unit would be, we would immediately, regardless of the time of night, change the A/C. The mattresses are brand new in the room and I would agree that the rooms face buildings as every other hotel in the city would but there is no dirt right outside. I am very sorry if your stay with us was not a success for one reason or another but I would ask you to be honest regarding your stay as guests read these reviews which I know are your opinions but they should also be factual. I wish you well in your future travels

Reviewed 20 June 2012

I checked into this hotel today. My flight landed at 7:38am and I went straight to the hotel anyways, knowing that check in was at 3. Charles, at the front desk is absolutely the greatest employee EVER. He told me check out was at noon but if any room opened up he would have it cleaned right away for me. I put my luggage in the storage (was four bucks; no big deal if you consider the great price you are paying for the room) and went to the awesome falafel place nearby.

Charles had me a room by 9:30! He told everyone that was at the front desk that I was the girl waiting for the room just incase the house cleaner called and said the room was ready and he wasn't the one to answer the phone.

Dario the front door man saved me SO MUCH TIME AND MONEY. I had to go to 40th street. I asked him to hail me a cab and he suggested the subway which is literally RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET. He told me what to take, where to walk when I got off, best directions ever.

I love he and Charles and I want to send them birthday and Christmas presents every year.

I got the room where there is a shared bathroom, but honestly, it's not that bad at all. Just bring some flip flops or shower shoes if it makes you more comfortable. I was able to shower and use the restroom just fine.

For the people who complain about the elevator, it's not as bad as they make it out to be. It's a hotel. It has elevators. You wait for an elevator at a hospital; just because it is a hotel and you feel people should cater to you does not mean the machinery follows suit.

I come to NYC a lot for business and I will for sure be staying again-even if I have to share a bathroom.

• Stayed June 2012
The Caribbean
Reviewed 20 June 2012

I searched long and hard for a reasonably priced hotel in NY for 4 nights in June. This one had come up a few times because of the price, and then I finally booked when I met someone who had stayed recently and they said it was "ok".

And it was ok on several points, which are:-

1. Location - nice neighbourhood, very safe, close to Subway, lots of restaurants around. Quiet. I was not disturbed any night. I was on the 8th floor.

2. Cleanliness of room - Housekeeping did a good job and they replenished amenities daily.

3. Upkeep of room - the bathroom seemed to have been renovated recently. THe rest of the room was fine. I had a single room which I knew was going to be small and this was NOT a problem for me because I only spent a couple of hours in it per day. The mattress was very comfortable. No aches and pains.

4. Dario the doorman - friendly and very helpful. Also could answer my many questions. An asset to the hotel.

5. Coffee machine.....on request. - coffee and creamer/sugar packs replenished daily, and plentiful.

6. Refrigerator and microwave in room.

7. Luggage rack and cupboard with hangars - as minor as that might seem, with a small room, having somewhere to put your suitcases meant I didnt have to trip while walking around the room.

The minor points which could be improved, and would have made me given it a 5 rating are:-

1. Check in procedure - As a trainer in customer service, this is one area where just a few added procedures in the process would have made a huge difference.

- At first I was given a lower floor room. My reservation request had been for a quiet room, so I asked if this was going to be quiet. The receptionist then changed it to the 8th floor. That said to me that they had not looked at the request before and assigned a room prior to my arrival. That's easy to do and would have shown that I wasnt just another random reservation. When I went to the room, Housekeeping was still cleaning it.

- When giving me my key, the Receptionist said out my room number, instead of pointing to it on the keycard holder on which it was written. There were other people around. As a single female traveller, you want to ensure there is no compromise on security issues.

- The Receptionist did not enquire whether this was my first time in NY and whether I needed a map or any information. I did, and they had maps available. I had to ask for it. I agree with previous reviews which said the Receptionists were less informed than they should be. They also did not anticipate what info or services you might need, because there was not much interaction during the check in process. THere was only one other guest waiting at the time I checked in.

- There is no folder in the room with basic information such as about the internet, about getting back to the airport etc. So it is even more important for the employees to be forthcoming with information.

2. No free internet. Can't understand how in this age of technology, a hotel doesn't offer free wifi. It's not that expensive to provide and not having it might have made them lose bookings. As other reviewers said, the yogurt place next door has wifi and I imagine the Starbucks across the road too.

3. No safes in the room. There is one in the lobby and you get your individual box, but it is less convenient.

4. Elevator is slow and it's just one. So if you are in a hurry, you may not be pleased so give yourself some extra time. The housekeeping employees also use the same elevator, with their carts and it is not a large elevator. The HK employees are very friendly, though some may not understand English too well. Fortunately I speak Spanish.

The minor points would not deter me from staying here again. The second time around I would know I had to prod for information and ask for things.

Although 96th street might sound far from the centre of the city, the #2 express train is two stops to Times Square so it's quite quick.

It would depend on what you are going to New York for. If you wanted to go to lots of shows, then somewhere between 40th and 50th street might be more ideal. But I suspect there would be noise all night long. I wanted to come back to somewhere quiet so the Hotel Newton suited me fine.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank LorraineMc
, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
I thank you for your recent comments and let me begin by completely agreeing with you regarding your room number. You have a very valid point regarding not mentioning the room number aloud and we will take this into consideration and look at changing our policy in this way. We are looking at the wifi situation in all of New York. I agree that most hotels outside of New York have free wifi but the New York Hotels haven't followed suit as of yet and I believe when the larger ones begin to do this, it will become uniform. We do have a Hotel Newton binder in every room with room service menu's, airport information and phone numbers and much more. I have to say that your review was one of my favorite in the 12 years I have been here. It gave us positives while also giving us clear cut things that we could change and reasons why. I sincerely thank you for your review and we look forward to your next stay with us.

San Roque, Spain
Reviewed 19 June 2012

We have stayed at this hotel on two occasions for a total of twelve nights and have found it to be great value for the price. The rooms are spotlessly clean, we have stayed in a junior suite on both times and have found the room to be spacious and comfortable.
The hotel is well located on the Upper West side with plenty of restaurants and interesting shops within easy walking distance. Its a nice stroll to Central Park to the east or Riverside Park to the west and the hotel is very handy for the subway.
The staff have always been helpful and very friendly towards us - the only downside which is often mentioned is that the lift is slow but the building has lots of character and we will definately return here on our next visit to New York

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple