“I really liked it” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #305 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Sweden
“I really liked it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

The staff very friendly and could answer some of the questions I had about the city, I liked my room, it felt newly renovated and was clean, a bit small but considering the price nice rooms in a good neighborhood. I can really recommend it!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2012

It was more than ten years ago that we last stayed at the Hotel Newton. It was nice to see that the bathroom was renovated. Although the furniture is not great quality, the room was very clean, extremely quiet and had all that was needed. The room was very small, but in NYC most of our time is spent out of the room. The front desk staff was helpful and pleasant. Hotel prices in NYC are high and this is good value for a convenient location. The elevator is a bit slow, but if you don't mind walking, take the stairs. With a small room, one hears the a/c if you are not accustomed to using a/c. It was nice to be able to open both the bathroom and bedroom window. There is a charge for the internet, but we were able to pick up another signal nearby.

Room Tip: Get a room with a renovated bathroom at the back of the building.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

What an amazing hotel. This is a limited amenities hotel, but you forget all about that the moment you step into the hotel. From the door man (who was always there to greet and hold the door), to front desk staff and cleaning staff - everybody was very nice and service minded.
The room was newly renovated and VERY clean. We stayed in a Deluxe Queen room and it was HUGE for a New York hotel room. It was facing the street but we did not hear the noise.
The hotel is surrounded by coffee shops and restaurants as well as a fitness center across the street and just outside the hotel you have the nearest Subway Station. Taking Line 2 or 3 it took us 5 minutes to get to Times Square.
Walk a few blocks east of the hotel and you are in Central Park. We walked through the park to 5th Avenue, a perfect start to the day.
Before we came we were a bit worried that the hotel was located so far north, but the area it is located in is a nice quiet area with everything you need and with the alternative of walking through Central Park or a 5 minute ride on the Subway to get to Midtown it became the perfect location.
The only bad thing I can think of saying about our stay was that we had to leave too soon, staying only 3 nights. We will definitely be back.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

Great hotel. Smaller than I expected but very clean and extremely friendly and helpful staff.

Only had one problem. We asked the front desk to make a reservation at LIPS for us for Saturday. The front desk confirmed the reservation but when we got to lips there was no reservations. We called the hotel and they said the reservation was for Wednesday. So just double check your reservations. It was pretty embarrassing considering we traveled the whole way there. They made room for us but still just an FYI to confirm. :)

• Stayed September 2012
Suffolk VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

This has always been a well located, comfortable, value hotel, but that reputation has apparently caused a price spike -- paid $957.21 including tax for three nights (Sept. 27-29, 2012) and that was the lowest available advance booking rate for a room with bath. You can pay a lot more in New York, but, still, I think this level takes it out of the especially-good-value category.

Room Tip: The single elevator sometimes is slow, so you might want a lower floor room you could walk up the st...
1 Thank GenieSuffolkVA
Allentown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

This is in a great location next to the 96th subway for zipping up and down the west side of Manhattan. There was no meaningful view and the A/C was too loud but the price was right and the people friendly. They allow restaurants to deliver right to the room - not a plus for me, but for me night it was fine. My superior double queen suite was quite large with a little sitting room and two tvs. It was clean and the staff friendly.

Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Corbygirl261
Amherst, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

The hotel is a great location. Close to transportation, restaurants, shopping. The staff is friendly and always willing to help. The room was OK. On the first night we kept hearing some strange noises. I turn the lights on and see a mouse in the room running accross the dresser. We were given another room immediately but I was always looking for the unwanted visitor. I would have moved to another hotel but my husband and daughter convinced me to stay. Don't think we will staying here again.

t

Room Tip: Didn't get a good room.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank magenta7770
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
I thank you for your review of our property. I am so sorry about the events during your last stay. However i am pleased that the front desk was able to move you immediately. I know that an explanation does not make a difference but suffice to say, we owe you one! I am not sure if you were given as I haven't spoke to you but we have a building under construction next to us and they are ripping floors apart. In anticipation of this, before it began, we commissioned our fumigation company to come in and make sure that we would have no issues. They have done an excellent job with keeping the situation under tight control however, we have seen an instance or two and we have taken care of the situations immediately. I would ask you to consider our property again and contact me directly as I would like to offer you a preferred rate and breakfast on me! If not, we wish you well in your future travels.

Emilio Morales Jr.