“Hotel Newton--Friendly, Spotless, Efficient and a Great Value in the City!”
Review of Hotel Newton

Hotel Newton
Ranked #325 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I have been staying at the Hotel Newton with a high school group for several years and have found the staff (especially Emilio Morales--the reservations director) to be accommodating and professional and the rooms and buildings to be spotless and comfortable. The hotel is located less than a block from the 96th St. subway station, which is served by the 1, 2, and 3 lines. It is so easy to hop on a train and head down to Times Square or uptown! As other reviewers have mentioned, the Express and Local trains stop at the 96th St. station--very convenient when they are running only Express trains late at night! The station was renovated a few years ago, an added bonus. There is a diner and a frozen-yogurt shop right next to the hotel, as well as a Starbucks across the street and a Duane Read pharmacy next door--all of your needs taken care of right there! A major plus of the hotel is how quiet it is--because it is away from the hustle and bustle of Times Square, it has much more of a neighborhood feel. I always sleep well there (the comfortable beds help too)! I would recommend this hotel for group travel (they were so organized in dealing with our group of 21 student journalists attending the Columbia Scholastic Press Association convention), personal or business travel. I'm definitely going to stay at the Hotel Newton when I get a chance to return to New York for pleasure!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Beth H
Write a ReviewReviews (1,596)

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed at Hotel Newton just last week for 3 days. The price & the location is excellent, however there were some technical problems, I think partially because it is an old building. The wi-fi was not working properly and the TV did not had signals either (but they were working on fixing it while we were there). The beds were not comfortable, but acceptable, however the room and the bathroom were really very clean, though a bit outdated. The parking garage -Hertz- is just around the corner and the daily rate ( $25) is very reasonable for Manhattan. And you need to turn the window unit A/C on to keep the street noise out and to be able to sleep. Otherwise it is very noisy and almost impossible to fall asleep.
Bottom line: if I could afford more than $150/night, I would not stay there again. If I can't, this hotel might be one of the best options.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Yeshiko
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Thank you for your recent comments. I am very sorry of the wifi and cable problem. The entire block went through an upgrade and all residential buildings and hotels were effected by this. We were extremely proactive to make sure it was a quick fix. Other hotels are still without cable today but we had all fixed within 48 hours to ensure that our guests were minimally affected. I wish I could help with street noise as we have double paned windows in every room but we are in New York City and do our best for every guest. If you decide to give the Hotel Newton a second try, please contact us and reference this review. We wish you well in your future travels.
ps. if any of our future guests are noise sensitive, please let us know as there is only one room type in our entire property that faces the front of Broadway.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

We picked this hotel on an Expedia deal, as it was good price and had good reviews. It is really conveniently near a subway on a good line where the express and local trains both always stop. I was glad that the hotel was so quiet and our room was too, so slept well in the city that never sleeps! I usually hear more sirens when at home...
The rooms are small but have everything you need, very clean. You're in New york so you won't be in the room all the time anyway!
One cool aspect was that while the hotel has no restaurant, the diner next door is warm welcoming and good value. Coffee maker in room (please provide teabags for English folks too! - but we bought our own and used coffee maker to make hot water!)
Can leave luggage and use the safe for free; plus use computer to print boarding passes for free. An improvement would be to make the wi-fi free for all guests. Thanks for a good stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MandyJ262
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Thank you for your review of our property. I am so happy all was a success and your stay with us enjoyable. We look forward to your next stay! Regarding wifi, we are working on it! We hope at some point, wifi charges will be a thing of the past!

Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Customer service throughout the United States is dead, everyone and everything is rude, disgracefully rude, with one exception- hotel newton.

This hotel is the quintessential example of perfect customer service. On arrival we were greeted, welcomed and then thanked for booking hotel newton. The two hotel clerks, Charlie and Karie were extremely and utterly professional. We arrived three hours prior to check in time however these two lovely hotel clerks, did all they could to accommodate us.

After check in, I went downstairs to speak to to the two hotel clerks on possible valentines-day spots. Not only were they extremely responsive but they again did everything in their power fulfil our requests. They provided me with at least four separate restaurants with full menu options and a short statement on each of their own views on the restaurants.

Upon deciding they again went the extra mile and booked the restaurant for us. A complete pleasure to have this done for me.

On that same day, I highlighted to the general manager that my phone was left at my previous hotel in Canada. On calling the hotel in Canada, they refused to send it for me and explained that it was now my job to have the phone picked up by an express courier and then shipped to me. On hearing this, the general manager of hotel newton, went out of his way, and spoke directly to the manager of our previous Canadian hotel.

The general manager (Emilio)kindly passed me the phone and to my complete shock, the hotel in Canada had agreed to send the phone at no extra cost.

I have in no way whatsoever a negative thing to say about this hotel. Many other clerks such as Landry and obviously the general manager, Emilio treated us exceptionally well. They were full of ideas on what areas were best to visit and more than helpful when we asked about getting around and to and from the airport.

I will, with not a single hesitation, when returning to New York, be returning to Hotel Newton. I have never felt so welcomed by a single hotel.

The staff, Charlie, Kari, Landry and Emilio are nothing but complete assets to this beautiful hotel.

I highly recommend this hotel if you are someone who seeks great customer service, in a well located area and great and affordable rates.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank lucachizz
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Thank you so much for your great review and we are so happy that we were able to help you recover your phone!!! Both of you were a joy to have at the hotel and we can't wait to get the wedding invitations which we know will happen!! lol

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I cannot say that it was a fancy hotel of the kind of hotels i love.. This was a bit old (the elevator ) small lobby, narrow corridor , but the bathroom was new and the room was clean ,view not so much :( ,, but excellent location so it was good in general

Room Tip: As a family we took the junior suite ,, i thanked god so much after learning of the shared bathroom
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank pariscarver
Reviewed 13 February 2014

First time in this hotel; tried it after reading TA reviews. If your looking for the Marriott style hotel .. look until you find one. If you are comfortable with an older, well maintained and managed property at a reasonable cost,in a great neighborhood across from the NYC Transit, The Newton is a good bet. Staff were responsive, amenities adequate, room and bathroom clean, and consistent with NYC old hotel standards (small). A good value for my needs.

Room Tip: double bedded rooms are a bit larger
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank bellavueboy
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We loved this hotel, we were a party for 10 and we were all looked after and had everything we needed. Comfortable, quiet rooms to escape to hustle and bustle of outside. Great value to say we were staying over new years too. Metro right across the road, taxi's flying past if you need one too. Perfect location!
If i were you, i would skip getting breakfast at the hotel. There's a diner next door named 'The Manhatten Diner'. We had a different breakfast every morning and they were delicious. Started our day nicely.
I could have a few little negative comment such as warm room at times and no wi-fi but it really doesn't matter about little things like that, we were in a good hotel in New York City! What more do you want?!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends