“Nothing to recommend it except price, possibly”
Review of Hotel Newton

Hotel Newton
Ranked #318 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Insipid decor, and staff who have taken indifference to new heights. Location doesn't have much to offer either. There's nothing to recommend this place at all. Best used by stopover tourists on a budget.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BradPittsdouble
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you for your review and I am saddened and shocked by your comments. Our staff is normally lauded on Trip Advisor and I would ask for you to please call us as I would like to discuss your stay with you in an effort to rectify any issues that occurred. I thank you in advance

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I booked this hotel based on the positive ratings and tripadvisor's endorsement. I was flying into New York from the west coast. My flight was unfortunately delayed, so I arrived at the hotel after 1 am. As I checked in, the hotel employee told me that unfortunately they did not have any queen beds although that was what I had booked. Had I known in advance, I could have gone somewhere else, but they didn't have the decency to let me know in advance. At that time of night, of course, I was stuck. The front desk guy also asked me for my AARP card (I'm 34 years old and look about 25).

Once I got up to the room, I noticed that not only was there a twin bed, but there was hardly more than one foot of space on either side of the bed. The room was tiny!

There were multiple other issues:
1) There was no hot water in the sink or the shower
2) There was a mini-fridge that made a lot of noise
3) There was only one free plug--I could plug in my computer or my phone, but not both unless I wanted to unplug something else, like the light, the heater, or the alarm clock.
4) There was nowhere in the bathroom to place toiletries. There was only a very narrow (~4 inch wide) shelf at the bottom of the mirror.

In addition to all this, I still had to pay for internet access. I paid over $200 to stay in this room for less than 7 hours (I had to leave in the morning to go to an interview). In the morning, I asked the front desk if it would be hard to get a taxi. The woman there told me that it might be change of shift and it was raining, so it might take me a while to get one. But, she said, I should just go out there and be patient. I then asked her if there was someone who could help me get a taxi, she said yes. Why was that not offered in the first place?

I would not recommend this place to anyone I know.

The next night I stayed at the Westin and paid $20 more for a huge room with a view and all the expected amenities.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank travel_safely_80
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you for your review and let me begin by apologizing if the stay was not as expected. I wanted to comment as there are some issues within the email that were a bit confusing and I wouldn't want future guests to have the same questions. Unfortunately we cannot tell when you stayed but we know around may. I have researched the entire month and we had no complaints of hot water. We have a 4 boiler system that stores hot water so even in full capacity, we don't have these issues. I am not saying that that you are fabricating but if we don't know there is an issue, we can't help you. That is what a 24 hour front desk is there for. Our mini fridges are pretty standard but there is a regular noise from them and we would have been happy to go upstairs and unplug it if it caused you any inconvenience. I agree that the standard single is a small room and we advertise it as such. I am a bit confused as you mentioned that you paid over $200 as the Deluxe Queen with two Queen beds was never near the rate of $200 however the Standard single was at $200. Our Deluxe Queen in the months of April and May hovered around $275 to $300 as these are high occupancy times. The average rate in New York for these months was $337 for a regular room so as you can see, we normally have one of the better rates in the city. I will mention your idea of more space in the bathrooms as I believe it is a great idea if it can be achieved. I agree that New York prices can be high at some times and that is why we strive to be a reliable hotel under the New York average of rooms. Regarding the taxi, our front desk is always available to help with taxis to the airport and I don't believe we would send our guests out in the rain and tell them to be patient and wait when we have a doorman available for this. I am sorry if there was a misunderstanding there and I would welcome speaking with you about the issues in the room but I feel that we, as a hotel need to comment on issues that could have been rectified as many prospective guests read these reviews.

Emilio Morales
Director of Revenue and Reservations

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Across the subway- can take the express and regular
Beside the hotel is Brooklyn Dinner
Walking distance from TJmaxx, Walgreens, BBQ shop and all food haven
Starbucks is everywhere
Tried the shared bath but did not cause inconvenience for me and friend
Shared bath is always clean and with utilities
Room is not to tight, with ref, coffee maker, iron and small dresser
Towels, pillows and bed are not a worry though hotel is old
Lift is not as bad as earlier reviews
Lots of map in front desk and they are willing to assist for directions

Housekeeping are not fluent in English
No wifi

Will be back

Room Tip: Get far from lift
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank iwanttotravelforfree
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you for your comments and for pointing out what a great accessible area we are in! We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Spent 2 nights in this hotel during recent NYC visit. It is mere steps away from the 96th Street subway station and provided a direct route to every place I required. The hotel is old, but everything was clean and comfortable. I have only 2 complaints; 1) there was only one available electrical outlet for charging phones, etc - and that was in the bathroom and only worked when the light was turned on. 2) Wifi was not free. Both complaints were bothersome but manageable. I would definitely stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: I chose a single room with a single bed because I knew I would only be in the room for sleeping, sho...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Barbara R
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you for your review and I am pleased that all seemed to go well minus a few improvements we can possibly make. We will immediately look into the outlet situation in the bathroom as I don't believe that it should matter if the light is on or off and I thank you for bringing us these useful suggestions. We look forward to your next stay with us

Reviewed 28 April 2014

The hotel is in a perfect location because it is away from the craziness of the city but next to a subway station that gets you to Times Square in just a few minutes! Diner next store and the cafe down the block offer good food at a reasonable price. Rooms are basic but are fairly large - I found it perfect considering we didn't spend much time in our room since there is always something to do in the city!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Danika C
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

I love these hotel. The location is great very nice location with restorants, pharmacy and subway station very close. Just one train to times squere. Room old but very clean, and very nice service. We arrived early and they have storage room for logage until chech-in hour. I would stay there again!!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Kalert
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I visited Hotel Newton in January 2014. I was in NYC with my husband as part of our honeymoon and couldn't have asked for more.
The rooms are comfortable and of a good size. They contain a coffee machine, fridge and microwave, plus an en-suite bathroom if you select certain rooms. Also, if you're like me and like to sleep with the window open, you'll be pleased to know you can open the windows easily, breathe some air and listen to the sound of NYC.
There is a great, affordable diner next door (the Manhattan Diner) which does delicious food. There's also a Starbucks directly opposite the hotel, and a McDonalds less than a minute walk, if you're looking for fast food. The Thai restaurant (Longgrain) further along the block is also great.
There are vending machines throughout the hotel if you need a water or soda ($1) at any time of day or night, which I found convenient and used regularly.
The hotel is a 30 second walk from the subway station, which is convenient for getting around. I also found it to be walking distance to all the major sights (Central Park, Times Square, Empire State Building, etc.) however check the exact distances before you set off as you may personally prefer to take the subway.
The staff were polite and friendly at all times. Check-in was easy, as was booking our transfer to the airport.
As for price, it was one of the best quality hotels we could find in this price range. It had everything we wanted/needed, so there was really no reason to pay more.
I'm planning to visit NYC again later this year and will definitely be staying here again. I look forward to seeing you soon, Hotel Newton!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Kate R
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Thank you for your review! We are so happy that you chose the Hotel Newton to celebrate such a special occasion and hope to be your home away from home the next time you visit the city!