“Overall good, with one piece of advice” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Newton

Hotel Newton
Ranked #302 of 467 Hotels in New York City
California
“Overall good, with one piece of advice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Good: Wonderful location right next to the 96th street subway. I love the convenience of the subway and having the 1-2-3 train right outside your door is great for getting around Manhattan. I also love the upper west side, so the Hotel Newton is an affordable option for staying there.

The rooms are typical NYC small, yet they are clean and well kept. They do have air conditioning, but you might have to ask for it. I believe the window units are removed for winter and reinstalled when it warms up. Our first night was really warm and they installed a unit in the second night.

The not so good: We booked our Queen Suite months in advance on the hotel's web site. Having an entertaining area was very important to us, as we were visiting our son. We arrived mid afternoon and they, without mention, placed us in a tiny standard room. The staff said the hotel was over-booked, so we had to endure two nights in a very tiny room that had no air conditioning and was located right next to some very loud machinery. Hot and loud does not make for restful nights.

We were finally moved to a double room on the ninth floor, overlooking Broadway, with air conditioning. While it wasn't the Queen Suite we reserved, it was a nice, comfortable room.

Advice: Make sure you get what you paid for. I'm not sure if over-booking is their common practice, so I would call just prior to arrival to confirm you are coming.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Goldtress
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you for your review of our property and I am happy that all worked out in the end. We are not a property that overbooks however every hotel has instances with reservations mishaps. I agree that it is a great idea to confirm your reservation before coming in. Let me personally apologize for the mishap and it seems like you were upgrade to our Deluxe Queen after the 2 days. However, that does not make up for the 2 days that you stayed in a room that you did not reserve. Please contact me the next time you are travelling to the city and I will make sure that your reservations are handled correctly. I thank you for your patience with the matter and also for pointing out the positive aspects of the stay.

Director of Reservations and Revenue

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
palm desert ca
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

I know this review won't do much good, After all, there are several Trip Advisor stickers next to the narrow front entrance, but I will plunge ahead for whatever it's worth. I've never paid so much for a room, and it was crummy, but I wanted to be near Columbia.
Here's the list: the room was tiny; there was not one inch of drawer space; the mattresses creaked; the air conditioner was needed on 60-70 degree days, and it was noisy; the fan went on with the bathroom light; the room key lost its magenetism

Room Tip: Ask for a dresser and your own toilet
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank morteight
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
I thank you for reviewing our property and let me correct a statement. Our customer reviews mean the world to us! We use Trip Advisor in an effort to perfect the guest experience. We understand that Trip Advisor can be subjective however we trust that our prospective guests have the same understanding. We have a room category, the Standard Single which runs below all room types as it is a very small room. We have the actual picture of the room on our website and on any website that sells this room so that there is no confusion. We don't put pictures of showrooms on our website as it gives a false impression of what our guests will receive. If our guest ever had an issue with the bed creaking, we would hope that you would let our front desk know right away as we can rectify the situation immediately and if we cannot, we will move you. Your experience in our property should be a comfortable one and creaky beds would not be comfortable. The light and fan switch is the same for the restroom and I don't quite know what we could do about that but I don't see it as an issue. Regarding room keys, all magnetic keys sometimes lose magnetism because of metal detectors in stores etc. We always tell our guests if they find themselves on the floor with the key not working, please use a house phone on every floor and we will send someone to get you. I hope this was useful and hope you give the Hotel Newton a second chance. In the future, please try our Superior or Deluxe brand of room as they are much larger. I wish you well in your future travels

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights last week.

I found it very nice for the price we paid ( around half the price of the hotels in Mid town).

The double room on the 8th floor was small but perfectly formed. It had a microwave and a fridge.
Considering the proximity to a major up town link like Broadway our room was really quiet.

Just a small caveat... when booking your room make sure you require your facilities en-suite as some rooms have to share a bathroom.

The hotel is quite close to Central Park , around a 5-7 minutes walk.

The tour bus stop (GRAY LINE) is outside the hotel and is fantastic value for money, there is also subway station (96th St.) just outside the hotel which will whisk you to Mid or Down town quite quickly. So it is very convenient for everything.
As far as eating is concerned there are loads of places within a short walk, I found the Manhattan Grille just two doors away on the left ,or the Corner Cafe (Good breakfasts here) a 50 yard walk to the right ( it is a pity the this one serves its meals on Polystyrene plates with plastic knives and forks) but they were both very adequate.

The A/C unit was a window-mounted one and as a consequence was a bit noisy but it was so efficient you could turn it off after 30 minutes.
The staff were very attentive and helpfull and freely offered good advice when required.
Overall a very good experience in a city that can be so indifferent to you it borders on rudeness.
If I were ever to travel to NYC again I would not hesitate to book The Hotel Newton.

Room Tip: A room on a high floor at the back of the hotel if you like it quiet. Make sure you book an en-suite...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LondonEddy6
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you for your review and helpful and useful tips for our prospective guests. We look forward to your returning to us soon

Director of Revenue and Reservations
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Booked a queen room on the 5th floor, 508. The room was really nice with a walk in shower.
Room came with microwave, fridge, Tea and Coffee, all the usual stuff.
The vending and ice machines are located on the second floor, and the drinks are cheaper there than at the store next door.

The front of house staff were ok at best. I may have got them on an off day, but they didnt really offer any advice for getting around the city. I understand that its not there job to explain the subway system of NYC, but a little more than "the subway is across the road" would have been nice.
Booking a shuttle through them was a little annoying too, but the new guy got there in the end, even if the time was wrong. But we made our flight....just.

Overall I would still recommend Hotel Newton. The location was very good, the room was comfortable and the doorman was really cool and super friendly.

Room Tip: 508 has a walk in shower, great if you are a bigger guy like myself.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steve O
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you for your review of our property. I want to personally apologize if you felt that the staff was not hospitable and friendly. I would like to correct several statements you made as there are errors!
1)There should never be a "off day" with our staff. Our guests deserve our staff to be friendly and hospitable EVERY DAY without an off day! Rest assured we will be addressing this immediately.
2)It is definitely our job to help you with directions, planning your day and making sure that your stay is a success and rewarding to you and your family.
I don't want any guest to go away from the Hotel Newton and not feel like they were at home while here. We strive to have the best in customer service as I feel this is what sets us apart from every other hotel in New York offering the same amenities.
I do hope that you consider the Hotel Newton in the future and rest assured you will see a difference

Newark, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

The booking was done on line - lesson learnt about room description/location. "View on Broadway Street" ended up looking into a brick hall on next door building! Rates shown do not indicate the tax payable -ask before booking! Great location in respect of city travel. Dario the doorman was very friendly and helpful. Shower fitting needs maintenance as water sprayed all over the bathroom.

Room Tip: Make sure you get the room you ask for - view etc.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you for your review. If you reserve a Deluxe Queen room, you are guaranteed a view on Broadway. These are the only rooms that face Broadway and the only rooms advertised on our website as facing Broadway. I think you may have been upgraded to our Suite that faces the sides. Sometimes we will upgrade our Deluxe Queen guests the our suites as it is the next category up. In the future, if this happens and the Broadway view is important, please contact our front desk and we will upgrade another guest as I understand the need for direct sunlight for some guests. Regarding the reservations process, it sounds like you booked on booking.com. This is the only company that separates the room from taxes. It does cause confusion and hotels have brought it to their attention in the past. If you book with us, you will see the total and taxes combined so that there are no surprises. Many guests book on booking.com as they feel the prices seem lower but fail to see that the price doesn't include taxes and when you combine all, the hotel has the same price. This is the case with all hotels through booking.com, not just the Hotel Newton

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

The hotel was clean, friendly, and in an absolutely great location - especially if you're driving in from the west.

The only downside was that our room did not have a private bathroom. I didn't see that when we booked the hotel. But, it was not an issue - we didn't have to fight for the bathroom at all and it was very clean.

Also, the elevator can be a bit slow so I'd suggest requesting a lower floor (top floor is 9).

All in all, I would stay again - great bang for the buck.

Room Tip: Make sure your room has a private washroom, and choose a lower floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HassMan81
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you so much for your review. In the future, all rooms named Superior and Deluxe have private bath. Our only shared bath is called Standard shared bath. If any guest sees it named differently on websites, please contact the hotel and we will be sure to contact that website and rectify it.

Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

I was in NYC for a conference and one of the suggested Columbia conference hotels was Hotel Newton. I can recommend this property for anyone seeking a good Upper West Side hotel. The location is excellent and the 96th Street subway station (Trains 1,2 and 3) is a half-block away. Dario the doorman is very kind and helpful and the front desk staff made great recommendations for nearby restaurants. The Manhattan Dinner next door to the hotel is a nice place for breakfast and there are multiple other restaurants with various cuisines within short (four-block) walks. Will definitely return.
The room was small, but was clean and well-kept with a nice bathroom.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you so much for the review and I will be sure to pass on your comments about Dario! He will love to hear them! We look forward to seeing you again in the future.