“Gobsmacked that people are able to write very good and outstanding reviews here!! ”
Review of Hotel Newton

Hotel Newton
Ranked #311 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner thankfully only stayed in this hotel for 1 night. Even though the price was reasonable we never expected the experience we had.

Our room was not ready on check in but thankfully they were able to keep out luggage before we were sent away. On return when we asked for our luggage it was brought up to the lobby and left, we never even saw the staff member and it could as a result have even taken by anyone as we were busy checking in and the lobby was crowded.

Lift is very old and very slow.

Decor is incredibly out of date in hall ways and rooms. Everywhere but the lobby had a musty smell.

We learnt on arrival to our room that it was shared bath. Something we were unaware of at booking or check in. When we went to question this the member of staff looked panicked and told us there were no other rooms available. The bathroom was clean on arrival but after we had been out for the evening we returned to find that there was tissue on the floor, hairs, soap scum and wrappers in the bath. Half used bottles of toiletries and a used razor on the sides. Exhausted after travelling and being out we didn't have the energy to go down to the front desk and had no answer on the room phone.
The worst part of the bathroom is the lock is not secure. It is a safety lock you find on room doors to allow you to open them and look out through the small gap. I was not happy at all about the idea of showering in a room where someone could open the door and see in easily. As a result I did not shower here and my partner stood in the hall way when I used the toilet as if the door was opened the person would look right at you on the toilet.

Now the rooms. The room was very small and decor is very old fashioned. The bed was tiny and made a terrible creaking noise before you even sat down. The mattress was very uncomfortable. We could not do anything about this as we were already told the hotel was full.
Bedding included a fleece blanket under the cover, in July, a rather unhygienic item for a hotel and had to be fully stripped as the weather was very hot.

Aircon unit is in the window behind the blinds and curtains making it almost pointless at night. It was also incredibly loud meaning we had to increase the tv volume from 10 to 35 when using it.

Easy to hear noise from hallways and adjoining rooms.

Towels very worn and small.

Fridge in room so noisy I had to turn it off over night.

Worst nights sleep I have ever had in a hotel. Both me and my partner tossing and turning all night- causing huge amounts of noise due to the noisy mattress. I had to take night powered Panadol at 3am to help me to get a few hours of sleep.

The hotel lists high speed wifi as an amenity on it's websites and there are advertisement flyers in the room but you don't get told it costs money until you have to ring front desk for a code. It is only 5 dollars but this should be listed on the sites and in the room.

The lobby desk advertises they sell helicopter tour tickets but the staff could not give any information on this at all.

When leaving the hotel no one offered to help us get a taxi, help with luggage or even open the door when we had 3 suitcases and 3 bags between the 2 of us.

Positives: coffee machine in room, staff were pleasant, secure luggage room for use after check out at a cost. Lots of leaflets and discount cards in hotel lobby. Lobby is well decorated and more modern looking- clearly all the money went here.

I had a horrible stay in the Newton and would recommend it to no one. If we had booked more then one night we would most definitely have changed hotel.

Stayed July 2014
8 Thank Nev_88
MILO928, Owner at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you for your review of our property. After reading all, it seems to me that the biggest problem was the fact that you did not know you were getting a shared bath. However, we don't choose this for our guests, our guests choose the room type. We only have 10 rooms in the entire property with shared bath and all companies have the term standard shared bath in bold letters. You share with one other room so when you came back, there definitely was a chance that the person in the other room used the restroom however, if you felt uncomfortable, our staff at ANY TIME AT NIGHT, can go and clean up the restroom for you. The mattresses in the rooms are brand new mattresses and we do include a fleece in case our guests get chilly at night. This is something you can take right off if needed. The air con is in the window and of course would have to be behind curtains however this is the reason we also carry blinds. You can lift the blinds the point of the aircon therefore keeping out light but not covering the AC. Our Wifi is listed as a charge on every site along with the fact of whether the hotel room you are choosing has bathroom or not. We do not try to deceive guests in any way and that is why every site we have shows the real room size and actual rooms, not show rooms. Our staff has been selling tour tickets for 20 years and would never be at a loss to inform you about helicopter tours. In all honesty and respect, I feel that these comments are really out of the realm of reality for us and I have checked all log books and found no complaints of these issues in the last 3 months. I would totally understand some issues but if I had these issues at a hotel, I would be sure to voice my opinion immediately. I wish you well in your future travels and am sorry that the Hotel Newton was not able to satisfy your needs in a hotel.

Director of Reservations and Revenue

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

This place is awesome with friendly staff. Room was a bit small but all you need for NYC and being out all day. Came with a good sized fridge and microwave too! Our room and bathroom was kept immaculate by our housekeeper - a real professional who took pride in her work. We even left her a tip! The hotel is conveniently located steps away from a subway station so no problem to get anywhere in the city. When we do come back this is the place we will stay. Many thanks to all the staff for an awesome first visit to NYC!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Debbie L
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thanks so much for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Family trip for first timers to NY. Positives, next to subway station and great Diner for breakfasts. Negatives, hotel v tired, rooms v small, terrible noisy aircon, no views, carpets etc tatty.
Thought as on Broadway would be central, however Broadway is longest road ever, and only point of hotel is to return to sleep.
Hence cannot pop back for change to go out again, as too far away from everywhere want to go.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Bananalaser
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you for your review of our property. We are located in the Central Park area so I understand your views. I think the best asset we have is that we are across from the Metro and only 2 stops to times Square, 5 minutes. Many guests want to be within striking distance from the attractions but not have to deal with the constant noise and busy atmosphere of the attractions. We are the hotel for you! We boast some of the best local, not tourist trap restaurants in the city.
If any of our guests ever have an issue with the aircon, Please let us know as we can fix or change this within minutes. We wish you well in your travels and if you ever want, we have many hotels within the Empire Hotel Group that are located in the Times Square area.

denver
Reviewed 11 July 2014

A very good value! I was raised on the Upper West Side which is where this hotel is located so I have that built in attachment but the location, the neighborhood, the convenience and access and the cleanliness, friendliness and quality of the rooms make this an easy hotel for me to recommend.

Room Tip: Away from Broadway.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Peter C
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you for your review! we look forward to your return to us.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Location is perfect - across the metro stop 96th street, lines 1, 2, and 3. There are a lot of restaurants and grocery stores around. Our room (superior double, #311) was located on the opposite side of the Broadway Ave, so it was quite. The room was clean, with a private bathroom, and in a very good condition. There is a big fridge, microwave, coffee maker as well as complimentary coffee. It's air conditioned. There is a storage if you need to leave your luggage ($4 - small and $5 - big). Central Park is a walking distance from this hotel The only complain is that the bed was not comfortable and it squeaks whenever you move. We also saw two big bugs in the bathroom. No free Wifi.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Megi68
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you for your review of our property and I am happy that all seemed well. If any guest ever has an issue with the bed creaking or comfortability, please let us know as we will look right into
it. I will personally apologize if you saw any bug at all as this is quite rare with us however, it is the change of spring to summer and sometimes with the open windows we do occasionally see one. We are extremely proactive with this and if we see one, we immediately take the room out of order for fumigation. I look forward to your return to us in the future.

Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 4 July 2014

One Subway stop to our hotel and convenient location to Central Park and other attractions made this a good bet for our recent family stay. Room was large, quiet (no discernible street noise) if a bit sparsely furnished. Our room did include a bathroom and I believe was billed as a "junior suite", though the decor does not live up to that billing. Mini fridge is a convenient addition to reduce restaurant trip expenses. A/C worked well but was noisy. Bed very comfortable. Staff was pretty hands off, but that's New York for you. Watch out for the additional room charge to use the wi-fi; an unnecessary inconvenience in my opinion.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kris P
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for your review and I see one issue that stands out and that is the hands off staff. This should not be chalked up New York style. We strive to stand out in customer service and I apologize if we did not. Please rest assured we will be mentioning this to our staff. It seems like you were with us during one of our storms in January and our staff were surely inundated with snow issues however each guest deserves attention and if one of our guests feel that our staff was not welcoming, we have failed. I surely hope you decide to come back to us in the future and give the Hotel Newton that second chance

Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed here in January this year, forgot to write a review on the place. I arrived during the January snowfall and it took me around four hours to get to the hotel from Newark Airport (I got the bus and got trapped in the snow on 5th Ave) but if i'd checked out the directions before i'd left home I could have probably made the trip in around a quarter of that time as it's very easy to get to from Newark Airport using the train and the subway, which I did on the return home. Subway station is less than a minute's walk from the hotel. Can't fault the hotel at all, has everything you need plus an excellent location for getting around New York. The rooms are nice and clean and extremely good value for money for the price I paid, around £50 per night in January I think, and that was for a double room with a private bathroom. Nice place, friendly staff and nice neighborhood - would recommend for future visits.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank GarryC66
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you so much for the review! We hope to see you soon again! tip to all prospective travelers, January and February are the best bang for the buck months to come visit us!

Emilio Morales