“Decent hotel- Reviews are accurate but don't ask for a cab!”
Review of Hotel Newton

Hotel Newton
Ranked #318 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 6 July 2010

I would have to agree with the many reviews on this site. The hotel location is great, right next to the subway and in a good neighborhood. Hotel is very clean. There is only one elevator that is really old and slow and hot, not awful but not great- take the stairs if you can. The room was very small but delivered on what was promised- double bed, flat screen tv, microwave, fridge, dresser, desk and private bath- not much room to walk around. The bed was ridiculously firm. Service was fine, we didn't have much interaction with the staff other than checking in and out. The diner next door is typical but service is lacking- eat somewhere else.
My only issue was on our last day, we called the front desk to get a cab. I was told the ride would be $65 to go to the airport (JFK) even though the ride to the hotel was only $45 plus tolls and tip (tolls were $5.50). The cab the hotel called was a private cab not a NYC yellow cab so the price was higher- I had to ask, the information was not shared with me. We were unsuccessful hailing a cab on our own outside so we just went with it. I asked again about the price and the front desk assured me the cost was $65 flat. We get into the cab and pull away to find out the cab was actually $70 plus tolls and tip. I told the driver what the front desk told me and he got upset stating "This is why I hate picking up from this hotel because they don't tell the truth." He proceeded to tell us this wasn't the first time this had happened and that the hotel actually charges him $10 to pick up people from the hotel (we saw him go in to pay the desk so I don't think this was a lie).
We could've jumped out and hailed a yellow cab but the price of two cabs would've been about the same, so we just dealt with being ripped off. Then I asked to be sure the cab took credit then he informed me it would be an additional 10% fee to use a card. Ugh! The driver was nice enough to pull over at an ATM so I could get cash and avoid the fee. I just wish the hotel was more up front with us. I'm sure the hotel would blame the driver but I really felt like the driver was legit. Anyway- give yourself extra time and walk 5 blocks to hail a yellow NYC cab- save yourself the cash and stress.
I recommend this hotel if you can't really afford anything else. We picked it for the price and the fact we didn't have to share a bathroom. I wouldn't stay there again if I could afford something else (with a private bathroom).

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2010

hello,

let me begin by apologizing for any misunderstanding at the Desk. The private car is $65 but only after you couldn't find a taxi did we call that private car as there is no way to call yellow taxis in New York. They can only be flagged down. If the staff would have known that you were paying in credit card, they would have immediately informed you of the 10% as all private car companies charge this at this point. I am happy that all other factors were seemingly positive and we will be sure to train our staff a bit better in this aspect of Transportation.

Reviewed 2 July 2010

We can't deny that this hotel presented value for money in New York. The location is pretty good - just seconds to the subway and it's only minutes ride to Times Square. It's nice that its away from the hustle and bustle too and has lots of restaurants in the local area to choose from. Although there did tend to be a lot of noise generally speaking.

The microwave and fridge in the room are great too - providing some more affordable options for eating.

The staff were friendly and accommodating with any questions we had.

Definitely a no frills option.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AussieTravellers75

Thank you for your Review! We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 30 June 2010

Stayded at the Newton for 6 nights on June 2010. The location is excellent with lots of restaurants and cafes near by and the subway, really, at the door. With express train (1 or 2) it takes 5 minutes to get to Times Square.

Rooms are nice, not luxurious, but then again, you are not paying luxury prices either :) But the room was very, very clean, had a microwave and fridge so you could keep your drinks cold :)

All in all very nice hotel and would recommed it to everybody.

The only thing I didn't like was the preauthorization, take make a hold to your credit card for the whole amount at the check-in and lift that when you check-out and then make the actual charge. No problem, if we would have known that before, but this came as a suprise. It didn't really cause any real trouble, but it is sort of annoying.

2  Thank PKa
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2010

I am very happy that you and your family had a great stay with us and we look forward to stay number 2! I totally agree on the annoyance of the credit card hold and we, like all hotels deal with it on a daily basis. If you pay with a debit card, our staff is trained to explain this right at the beginning and if this was not done, I personally apologize. We now charge Debit cards right at the beginning so the guest does not have to see that second temporary hold.

Reviewed 29 June 2010

Travelled to the hotel Newton on the 08th June 10 for 1 week to treat my mum.
On entering the hotel the staff at reception was very welcoming, the check in was very quick.
Rooms are of a good size for New York, the room was comfortable which includes a microwave (did not use) a great size fridge and air conditioning with was a must in June. Maid service was every day and could not fault it.
The area we found to be very safe, with plenty of places to eat around the hotel and a few bars in the area.
There was a street vendors cart on the corner in the morning which sold pastries and coffee, all fresh and great value with friendly service.
The hotel is about 30 yards to the 96 street subway (on your door step) it runs trains 1,2,3 the red line which you can access all the city and transfer to other lines. Takes about 15 minutes to Times Square. If stopping for a week get a 7-day unlimited pass priced at 27 dollars. (can be used on the buses as well)
The Newton hotel is only 3 blocks away from Central Park and in the other direction the Hudson river is only a few blocks away, which is a great for a walk by the river.

The only problem we had was the room keys would not open the door on day 3, but with a visit to reception this was sorted out in less than a minute, after that no problem with the keys.

Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel for a great stay in New York and hope to be stopping in this hotel when I visit the states later this year. The staff we found polite and helpful.

3  Thank seacat123
Reviewed 24 June 2010

We were really impressed with the hotel - the room was PERFECT for us - 4 "girls" (Mum, one teenager and two 22 year olds) - roomy and clean.
The guys on the reception were really friendly and helpful.
The diner right next door was perfect for breakfast.
The location was brilliant because it was only 2 stops on the express subway into Times Square (about 10 minutes)and the subway was right opposite the hotel.
Also the hotel was a 5 minutes walk away from Central park.
Loved it!

1  Thank FamilyHemsted
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2010

Thank you for your kind words and we can't wait for your next visit. We can't stress enough to our guests how accessible the Hotel Newton is to all major attractions! I always say that the best benefits are the fact of the location while not being in Times Square, you are 5 minutes away and on the upper west, you enjoy great local restaurants.

Reviewed 22 June 2010

I stayed at the Hotel Newton with my mother, aunt, and cousin for a week in June. We had a room with two queens and a private bathroom and it turned out to be a great stay for many reasons. Our rooms were always really clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel's location is pretty close to perfect - the subway is outside the lobby and you're minutes away from Times Square by train. Central Park is a few short blocks away, and there are dozens of restaurants to choose from. We ate Broadway Bagel a few blocks up the street (around 101st Street) several mornings which was really reasonable for breakfast. Lots of banks and pharmacies in the area too. I don't really know what else a NYC vacationer could ask for in a mid-priced hotel - based on my experience, the Hotel Newton is a fabulous place to stay, especially considering the little time you do spend in your room while in the city!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2010

Thank you for your review of our little gem on the Upper West. I thank you for pointing out how great our location is as many prospective guests don't quite realize how accessible we are to so much. The Subway is right across the street and makes it so easy to travel around the city. Thank you for pinpointing this. We look forward to your return to us.

Emilio Morales

Reviewed 21 June 2010

The Newton is a great deal for the price. The location is good--in a safe neighborhood with many restaurants, shops, etc., and right next to the 96th St. 1, 2, 3 subway lines. The real standout is the staff who are all friendly--from the front desk to housekeeping to maintenance. This is not the Waldorf Astoria, but for the price it is a clean, nice-sized room in a good area.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business

Thank you for such kind words. Again, the best part is the stand out staff! We spend most of our training time paying attention to customer service. The staff is here to plan your trip while you are here but to also be personable and make you comfortable. This genuinely makes a hotel a home away from home and that's our goal. Thank you againl.