“Kind of scary”
Review of Hotel Newton

Hotel Newton
Ranked #318 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 5 August 2010

This hotel is exactly what it is billed to be - a two star hotel. I don't stay in two star hotels, but the great reviews here led me to try it, plus the close proximity to Columbia. Not quite sure why there are all these great reviews. For a little more $$, one can stay in a much nicer hotel in a safer area. I stayed for one night for a quick visit to Columbia with my teenage sons and would not return. We had two rooms, one was billed as a suite. Really tiny. The hotel is very old, the decor is really old, the rooms are small and dark. The air conditioner (which is attached to the window and old) made so much noise it was difficult to sleep. The view out of the windows is into a dark alley and an ugly buidling next door. I will say that the rooms are clean and the staff was nice. The bathrooms have been updated. However, I felt uncomfortable and unsafe during my stay. It has a very "seedy" feel to it. I saw one of the staff very thoroughly check out my as yet undeveloped 13 year old daughter. If you have young girls in your party beware, Yuk.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Colleen T
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2010

hello Sir,

Thank you for your recent comments regarding our property. I am sorry that your stay with us was not a better one as we strive to make every guests stay comfortable and inviting. I will however say that our entire property was renovated and refurbished within the last two years and every single room is brand new. The Deluxe Jr. Suite that you stayed in is a huge room compared to New York Standards. All of our rooms can be seen on our website in their actuality. I really wish that we would have known that your A/C was making noise as we hold a sufficient amount of brand new A/C's in our storage area and could have changed this at any given time. I have checked our log books and there was not a complaint regarding the room size or an A/c in the two weeks preceding this review.
I would like to address your comment regarding our staff as this is extremely troubling for me. It is a situation in which we have no experience as it has never happened. I don't quite know if you could really 100% be sure that my staff member was looking at your daughter, especially given her young age. Our staff is a bit older as a whole and this sounds a bit peculiar but I apologize if even the feeling or look made you uncomfortable. Again, Management would have liked to know this as there were no comments made to us regarding this. I understand this as being a very serious matter and I would have liked to address it personally during your stay. I am available during normal business hours to speak and I again apologize if our staff, IN ANY WAY, gave you or your family a wrong impression.

Reviewed 3 August 2010

The Newton is excellent value for money. The standard rooms are a bit old fashioned in their decoration and they aren't too big but there's enough space for suitcases and putting items away. They were cleaned thoroughly every day and they all have AC which comes in handy during NY's hottest summer ever. The bathrooms are really nice and spacey though I'd adivse to bring your own hairdryer, the one they have barely does anything.

Location-wise it is situated right by a subway station where three different lines stop and a block away from another subway station right by Central Park where another 3 lines make a halt. The express trains make sure you can get to Times Square in just 5 minutes, so it's easy to head downtown. Plus, since it's not located in or near the very city center, it means you actually get a good night's sleep. We had no problems with noise of any kind.

There are two computers in the lobby that can be used to go online (1$ for 5 minutes or 5$ for 20) and the staff at reception is friendly. Right across the street is a Starbucks and a European Bakery café where you can eat anything you might want for breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2010

I would thank you for your nice comments regarding your recent stay and I look forward to your next stay with us. I especially thank you for complimenting our staff and their customer service skills as we feel this is truly what sets our hotel apart from the hundreds of others in New York City.

Reviewed 27 July 2010

We were part of a family block of rooms, as we attended a wedding. The location was convenient for wedding activities and for sightseeing via the subway. The rooms were clean and were in reasonably good condition. We were directly on Broadway, but the window a/c units muffled most of the street noise.

The lobby, where we often gathered w/ family members, was both small and rather spartan. Our main complaint was w/ the elevators. There is only 1 tiny elevator serving the entire hotel, and it was routinely out of commission during our first 3-4 days there. We got plenty of exercise climbing up and down 6 flights of stairs. Had our kids been little, or had someone in our family had difficulties climbing stairs, it would've been a problem rather than an incovenience. I have no idea what people who were checking in or out at the time did.

I understand that there's a paucity of hotels on the Upper W Side, so Newton may be as good of an option as any in that area. I'm reluctant to give it a straight up/down, however. Since I never received a reply to an e-mail I sent to the hotel on Friday outlining our concerns, I guess I'll choose "thumbs down."

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family

hello,

I apologize for the issues you had during your recent stay and I am aware of the exact weekend you were here and we indeed had an elevator problem compounded by the fact that the elevator company could not get the part needed to fix the elevator entirely until Monday morning so the elevator had scattered shut downs during the time you were here. I also apologize for you not recieving a reply because as you can tell, I normally answer all reviews and comments, bad or good.. I have never recieved an email from you and I believe it could have went to a spam/junk folder. I am happy that it seemed that the room was a nice fit for you as you stayed in one of our Deluxe Queen rooms and I would hope that you give the Hotel Newton a second chance in the future. Please have a great day.

Reviewed 27 July 2010

For the past few years I had been staying at their partner hotel 20 blocks south on Broadway. Everything was fine. The decor was very attractive, the room was very comfortable with good storage space; you don't have to live out of your suitcase. The room had a good size refrig, micro and ironing board and iron.
I thing that it would be nice if they upgraded the towels. The washcloths were like sand paper

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 July 2010

I would not recommend this hotel. My family booked three rooms separately to meet up in New York and asked for twin rooms. Despite booking and paying up front two months before and asking for the rooms to be near each other, our requests were ignored. When we asked at the desk on arrival, we were told dismissively that as we booked through Expedia our requests would not be met. We ended up in double rooms, with my grown son and daughter having to share a bed, and each room as far apart as possible on the 2nd, 5th and 9th floors. The double rooms are tiny with no room to swing a mouse let alone a cat! The desk staff clearly did not care and acted as if this was a normal situation. It probably was as each morning we heard people at the desk asking to switch rooms.

On a trip to the USA which saw us staying in many excellent good value hotels, the Newton was by far the worst and least value for money. Do not book this Hotel through an agency as you will be given the least priority in allocation of rooms and will not get what you think you have booked.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

hello,
Let me begin by apologizing for your recent stay and the issues surrounding them. I would like to clarify some points so that other guests in your situation understand the process when booking through third party sites. Sites normally buy bulks of rooms but not necessarily specific types of rooms and also special requests are sometimes not relayed to the hotel itself and I would believe that this would be the reason why the bookings were a bit mixed up. We always suggest that a guest booking on a third party site calls the hotel to put in any special bedding requests and location request. When a guest books directly with a hotel, they book a specific room type so that there are never any issues as they know exactly what they are recieving upon check in. When you arrive to a hotel, it is sometimes hard to meet all expectations if the hotel is sold out and this would be the only reason that your requests were not met. I sincerely hope you give the Hotel Newton a second chance and if you do, please contact me personally on your next visit

Reviewed 22 July 2010

We stayed in the Newton for 10 nights (once we found it; the cab driver drove straight past due to the scaffold outside blocking the signs) and were thoroughly delighted with it.

Check in was a breeze thanks to the friendly, efficient staff who always had a cheery greeting when we left or entered the place.

The room (7th floor) was more than big enough for the two of us, and was spotlessly clean every day. The aircon was slightly louder than we are used to, but as we stayed during a heatwave it served its purpose well, and kept the room nice and cool.
Good sized bathroom, with plenty of hot water and good pressure (handy when we were returning to shower and change two or three times a day thanks to the heatwave)
The Microwave and fridge hardly got used, but came in handy when they were.

Somewhat disappointingly, the Key West Diner next door had just closed for renovations (if you look at other reviews, this place gets brilliant reviews and comes recommended by the Newton), but the hotels location meant there were several alternatives nearby, including the City Diner (Key West's sister establishment) a few blocks south, however, if you leave the hotel, turn left and go one block there is a great food cart that does the best egg and bacon rolls, along with other things, for $3 - a great way to start the day.

The lift has been mentioned numerous times in other reviews and, perhaps, rightly so. It was quite slow to get to your floor, didn't hold a lot of people, and was out of order one morning; granted it was fixed quickly, but we had a several storey hike down the stairs.
There's probably not a lot the hotel can do to upgrade the lift, so while it was a slight downside to the stay, it's not something anyone should look at when considering a stay here.

Internet access is available for a fee ($4.95 per day if memory serves) which, when a lot of hotels now offer this for free, smacked a little of 'penny pinching', but once connected the wireless was one of the more stable connections we've had in a hotel.

The location was a double-edged sword for me, as there was a subway station half a block away (1,2 and 3 lines) and a couple of bus stops nearby but returning to the hotel (after shopping, or for the aforementioned shower/change pitstop) took longer than what we would have liked, or if we had stayed more midtown. This can't be considered a criticism however, as it reflects more on what we wanted to see and do, which seemed to be more in the south of the island/in Brooklyn, so we maybe should have considered location more carefully.
If you're looking for a hotel outside of the usual 'touristy' areas, then you'll be hard pressed to find a better place.

We would consider staying there again, if for nothing else for the promise the chap behind the counter gave when we handed over a couple of Metro cards that had a few days left to run on them, should any member of staff be able to make use of them; he said he'd do a little dance for us the next time we stayed - something we will be holding him to :)

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank npfiii

I thank you for your glowing comments on your recent stay with us and I will guarantee that Landry will do that dance for you if you return to us!! We are definitely working on our elevator situation as it is a bit slow. we are in the planning process of a new elevator but are still awaiting permits from NYC. We did completely renovate our elevator and motor recently. We are also working on the wifi issue as most hotels in New York still charge but believe me, I share in your frustration. We look forward to your stay.

Reviewed 21 July 2010

The Newton Hotel fully deserves the reputation for being top value in NYC. After a lot of research, we chose the Newton for 2 stays in June 2010. I wont go into all of the advantages as they are many, and well documented in other reviews.

We had a junior suite on the 8th floor for a week, and one on the 4th floor next to Broadway for 3 days. Both were a good size and very confortable, but had slightly different characteristics. The 8th floor room was better designed, but the A/C was very loud. We couldnt turn it off as it was hot and humid in NY at the time. However, it did had an advantage. The room was not very soundproof, so it drowned out the noise of the hallway and other guests.

The 4th floor room was not laid out as well, but the A/C was a lot quieter and the location at the end of the hall was also a lot quieter.

I was aware of the lift situation before I booked. I used it as a character building excercise and tried to think of the money I saved staying here, but I have to admit that after 1 week of putting up with it, I was a bit fed up. The lift is slow and is busy often enough to require tolerance. However, it is not enough to stop me from staying again.

Overall, despite some minor little things (and the lift,) the Newtown has so much going for it (especially location and price), that I would happily come back again. Would recommend a junior suite at the end of the hall on a lower floor.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Member From Shellharbour Australia
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2010

I thank you for your candid comments and I am happy that overall your stay was a successful one. We are working on putting in a new elevator into our property. As our building is a preserved building, we have to have many permits from the city to begin construction and we are almost there. Until that point, we have a dedicated elevator service that is at our property within minutes of a problem. We look forward to your next stay with us.