“I did stay here again.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Larchmont Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Larchmont Hotel
Ranked #307 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Seattle, WA, USA
“I did stay here again.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

Last year I wrote a review that said that I'd stay here again. I did so about a week ago. I'm glad I returned. The price for NYC seemed to be a good value. The desk staff were friendly and helpful. I was able to print my boarding pass using the MacBook in the lobby. Sometimes crisp, cellophane-wrapped apples were available in the lobby. For me a couple of pieces of toast and marmalade,, a small pastry, and a glass of orange juice was sufficient for me. Breakfast is available from 7:30 to 10 am. Check-n is 3 pm; check-out is Noon. One can leave baggage on a rack in the lobby. A doorman handles the baggage check. I stayed in two different rooms. The bed in the more economical room was spartan; I slept well, though. The second room was slightly wider; the bed was a bit better. The T.V.s offered about a dozen channels, most of which offered acceptable pictures. The air conditioning worked well and quietly. The ceiling fan was quiet, and appreciated. A bathrobe and slippers were appreciated for the short trip to the clean bathrooms and showers. The hotel is located in Greenwich village just west of 5th Avenue. Subway stops are 5-10 minutes from the hotel and offer two choices for trips to / from JFK for the price of a subway ticket ($2.25) and an AirTram ($5.00) ticket available at the airport subway stop. $7.25 and about 75 minutes seems reasonable for a Manhattan / JFK Transfer. At the risk of repetition, I'd stay here once again

Room Tip: I think Room One in each wing faces 11th. Rooms 4 and 5 (and several others, I think) face other ap...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Michael M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Mill Valley, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

This charming hotel is on a quiet tree-lined street in Greenwich Village and offers a great rate for its location. You share bathrooms with other guests on the same floor, but it wasn't an problem for me. The weak wifi signal in my room was more of an issue, but sometimes being off the grid is not such a bad thing for us :) The staff was pleasant and the room was clean. I'd stay there again for meetings in that part of town.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank FabriceFlorin
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

The value of this fantastic hotel is incredible. It's so clean and friendly with wi-fi in the rooms and a just a great atmosphere. The location couldn't be better and the street very pretty. I am used to staying in 5 star hotels for business and I get bored of how standard they are. I liked the rooms in the Larchmont and I didn't mind one bit having to share a bathroom - they were very clean and you get slippers and a bath robe so don't let it put you off. The room we had was a double and it was a decent size.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Helen F
Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

The Larchmont hotel is a great place to stay if you want to spend your time in the Greenwich Village and SoHo area. If you don't need Times Square all the time, then this is a great area of Manhattan full of bars and restaurants. You'll get a bit more of "alternative New York" in this area. Washington Square Park is a five minutes walk, and so is the nearest subway station.

The rooms are very small and basic but clean. The shared bathrooms are clean as well. For New York standards the rooms are cheap given the location and the price even includes a breakfast, albeit basic. The hotel is quiet, as it has some long term residents who live here as well, so you can relax after a day of sightseeing. Not suited therefore for people seeking to party.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank joeribt
Jerusalem, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

A simple, clean, choice. Do not expect too much from the rooms - they are rather small, but the are in good condition. The shared bathroom and shower were in perfect condition. The receptionist (Curtis) was kind and helpful, and their luggage store service (free for hotel guests) made my last day in the big apple very nice.
Excellent value.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank EyalWu
Indianapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

If you're on a budget, are traveling alone and you have business in New York, you can't do much better than this. But you should first know what you're getting - and not getting - for $100 per night. Yes, that's all I paid, in Manhattan, for a small, single room with a twin bed. I didn't need anything more than that. It's in a great location, a nice neighborhood and a quiet street. It's also very secure. Separate keys for front door, hall on your floor, and room. And it's clean, including the shared restrooms. So the basics are covered, with kind of a hostel - like atmosphere. No, I never liked sharing the restroom (though like many reviewers, I never actually saw any of the handful of people who were also on my floor). And in fairness, I did have my own sink in my room so SOME bathroom functions are not in a shared space. I agree that the place is old, dated and a little tired looking (see photos).

But most people who come to New York don't plan to spend much awake time in their room, anyway. I ended up doing so more than I planned because it was raining cats and dogs most of the time I was there, which limited the roaming I wanted to do. But I also agree that the restaurants in the same block are great. Loved the Chinese restaurant and Burger Heaven just up the street on 6th Ave.

I never tried the breakfast in the basement, but I want to say that the desk clerk was always friendly and very helpful. I had to catch an early morning flight at JFK, and was concerned about trying to get out there on time using the subway with luggage, etc. He put me in touch with a great ride service - Eastern. That is the ONLY way to go. They picked me up right on time and I literally made it door to door from the Larchmont to JFK in about a half hour - not kidding - for less than $70.

So this was everything it was advertised to be, and a little more here and there, well priced for what you get, and all that I needed. The only reason I might try a different place next time is to see if private baths are really that much more expensive! They probably are.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank JBIndianapolis
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

I stayed in a single room - the smaller size room. The room was decent. I didn't really like the shared bath but I knew about it when I made the reservation and they were clean. The AC worked well. The two things I didn't like - 1. Two of the 3 nights it was noisy because of people in the room next door, in the hall, or outside. I kept the AC running to drown out the noise even though I then ended up feeling too cold. 2. I like the room dark when I sleep. Unfortunately, because the door was not properly fitted or too old, etc., light from the hallway came in from around the door jamb and along the bottom. I ended up putting a blanket over the door to block the light. Also the windows didn't have curtains or drapes so light from the street lamps peered through the venetian blinds.
The location was great! Close to subway stops, restaurants, etc. Nice neighborhood. The room was so-so, but it was definitely not bad. Next time I might see if I can stay at a nicer place for a few dollars more. If I can't find something a bit more updated, with a private bath and curtains, I'd consider staying at the Larchmont again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo