“The people who are praising this hotel have very different viewpoint and standards!”
Review of Larchmont Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Larchmont Hotel
Ranked #363 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 29 October 2011

When reading the glowing reviews I wondered if this was the same place, or if the hotel had done a quick-fast full renovation since we were there. No, looking at the photos, it seems to be same place. Sure, they didn't show the skankier rooms, like where we stayed, or the big glass barrier from behind which business is done. Or allude to the "regulars" who have been known to come and go from here. The hotel is on one of the loveliest streets in the West Village. The outside is quaint and old-school and gives the feeling of a serene but well-apointed smaller hotel. We asked to see a few rooms before we signed in. One had a window that faced an ally, but nothing in the way of even meager security on that window. One looked out at the back, also on first floor, also with minimal security. Single bed, with nubby white bedspread, broken dresser that surely was taken in from off the street, a large plastic garbage can, and something like a faux oil painting in a frame. Tiny room. Looked like where a pauper would live. Price: much higher than it should be. And yet... the kids and the 'dollar-conscious' keep coming here. I think they're being fooled. there's much better that you can get for the same price.

Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank NoneNamedYet

Reviewed 25 October 2011

The Larchmont is perfect for the traveller who is using their money efficiently whilst seeking accommodation in an excellent location which is also safe & clean. We stayed for 14 nights and found the location very close to accessing the subway, food/nightlife and all varieties of stores in the general vicinity. The bedding was fine, fairly warm at night but we were able to keep the window open without outside noise keeping us awake. The staff are friendly and there's 24hr internet access if you don't have your own device.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Time2SeeItAll
Reviewed 18 October 2011

A gorgeous little hotel for the traveller on a budget. We stayed here for two nights at the end of our US trip. It compared very favourably with the other hotel we stayed at at the start of our trip. Clean, cute little rooms. Lovely atmosphere and character. Clean, shared bathrooms. Free wifi in rooms. On a lovely street in Greenwich village, close to the subway and some lovely little restaurants. Nice European style exterior and staff were friendly.

For this price in NY ($130ish a night), this was fantastic. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 12 October 2011

When my wife and I decided to make a trip to New York we wanted to experience it like someone who lived there. We were touring the PA, MD area in a rental car and drove into the island via the Holland Tunnel (This is something we recommend everyone do once because it offers a completely different feeling than taking a cab/train). We easily found the hotel but of course being in Greenwich Village none was to be found. I unloaded the car at the door and then found a garage about 3 blocks away. $90 + a good tip for a good spot got me 3 days there.

Room
Check in was smooth although the desk staff could have been nicer. We stayed in a rear third floor room. The room was small but comfy with a queen bed, sink, table and dresser. There was no room to stretch our legs but we were not on the island to stay in our hotel. AC and heat worked just fine. The hotel is "European" style meaning the bathrooms are shared. This was our first stay at a place like this so we were a little apprehensive. It turns out that the restrooms were always vacant (only a few rooms per floor), impeccably clean (it always looked like we were the first ones to use them when we did), and spacious. The hotel provides a robe and slippers which was a nice touch.

Breakfast
A light continental breakfast was served in the am in the hotel basement which included typical pastries, bagels, coffee, tea and juice. It was a nice touch.

Other than check in we found the doorman/bellhop to be exceptional. He was knowledgeable about the area and was more than happy to steer us away from touristy attractions when we asked. Maps were provided and the hotel also had internet and printing ability (we had forgotten to print show tickets and they printed them for us). The lobby is small but comfortable, with a couple of chairs.

Security
In addition to the doorman, each floor was only accessible by the people staying on that floor. The hallways were always quiet.

Location
The location was one of the main draws for us. Step outside the front door and you instantly know you are in GV. The Washington park was only a few blocks away and the closest subway was literally around the corner. We found ourselves strolling around the area in the evenings and always felt safe.

Overall it was a 5 star stay. the mediocre service on check-in was the only thing that I thought should be improved on.

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear of the hotel have a view of a shared courtyard and less street noise.
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jonharis
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Our room had complimentary toiletries, small flat screen tv and bathrobe and slippers.

Our bathroom was in the hallway, but we had a sink and a hairdryer in the room.

The staff was friendly. Place is very clean and conveniently located.

Breakfast is euro style. Pastries and bread.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 6 October 2011

Last year I wrote a review that said that I'd stay here again. I did so about a week ago. I'm glad I returned. The price for NYC seemed to be a good value. The desk staff were friendly and helpful. I was able to print my boarding pass using the MacBook in the lobby. Sometimes crisp, cellophane-wrapped apples were available in the lobby. For me a couple of pieces of toast and marmalade,, a small pastry, and a glass of orange juice was sufficient for me. Breakfast is available from 7:30 to 10 am. Check-n is 3 pm; check-out is Noon. One can leave baggage on a rack in the lobby. A doorman handles the baggage check. I stayed in two different rooms. The bed in the more economical room was spartan; I slept well, though. The second room was slightly wider; the bed was a bit better. The T.V.s offered about a dozen channels, most of which offered acceptable pictures. The air conditioning worked well and quietly. The ceiling fan was quiet, and appreciated. A bathrobe and slippers were appreciated for the short trip to the clean bathrooms and showers. The hotel is located in Greenwich village just west of 5th Avenue. Subway stops are 5-10 minutes from the hotel and offer two choices for trips to / from JFK for the price of a subway ticket ($2.25) and an AirTram ($5.00) ticket available at the airport subway stop. $7.25 and about 75 minutes seems reasonable for a Manhattan / JFK Transfer. At the risk of repetition, I'd stay here once again

Room Tip: I think Room One in each wing faces 11th. Rooms 4 and 5 (and several others, I think) face other ap...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Michael M
Reviewed 30 September 2011

This charming hotel is on a quiet tree-lined street in Greenwich Village and offers a great rate for its location. You share bathrooms with other guests on the same floor, but it wasn't an problem for me. The weak wifi signal in my room was more of an issue, but sometimes being off the grid is not such a bad thing for us :) The staff was pleasant and the room was clean. I'd stay there again for meetings in that part of town.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business