“Cockroach in the room and poor customer service.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Larchmont Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Larchmont Hotel
Ranked #319 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Cockroach in the room and poor customer service.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

Apologies for the long review, I just wanted to make sure I got all the facts covered.

First off, we have stayed at the Larchmont a few times previously and never have had any problems whatsoever. Given its location and the cost you can't really find anywhere better to stay if you are working within a budget and don't want to stay anywhere near times square.

That being said, our most recent trip has left us with a slightly bitter taste in my mouth.

The story goes like this:

I was woken up by my wife just after midnight with her panicking about something making a rustling noise in the room (She is petrified of rats). I turn over, turn the light on and obviously can't hear anything. She points to a bag on the floor saying it was coming from near there. The room is silent. I tell her she is being silly, must have been having a dream and to go back to sleep. We sit there talking for a few more minutes and then we hear this rustling noise again. Now she is really freaked out.

I get up and head towards where the bag is on the floor, at this point my wife has pretty much stopped breathing at the thought that there is a mouse or a rat in the room. Just as I get over to the bag a cockroach scuttles from behind the bag under the bed. First thing I do is tell her it's a bug, not a mouse so she can calm down a bit. The next hour I'm chasing this bug all around the room trying to catch it. I eventually get it trapped under a cup and try and get back to sleep.

Morning comes and mr roach is still under the cup, wiggling about. I headed down to reception to have a quick chat. I'm informed by the person at the desk that the manager isn't in until Tuesday (this now being Sunday morning). At that point another lady appears and says we can swap rooms but we will need to pack our stuff up and leave the hotel for a few hours whilst they clean a room so its available for us and they also spray our existing room for bugs. Ok I said. At this point no one had said sorry or apologised at all. It felt like we were inconveniencing them. Returned to the hotel a few hours later and handed keys to a new room and also our bags which we were expected to take up to our new room by ourselves. Still no sorry or apologies.

Fast forward to Tuesday when we are checking out and I get informed by the desk that they don't actually have a manager and the hotel is ran by a corporation.

I had another chat with the housekeeping supervisor regarding our issues with the room and she said that they changed the room for us and this was all they could do. I explained that at no point did anyone say sorry or apologise. We then spoke about how they get these 'water bugs' in rooms occasionally. I said it was the first time we had seen one of them ever in NY and that my friends have said they do get them in their apartments once every 3-4 months. What got me when I initially reported it was that no one seemed surprised at all. It might be normal for NY but it's not normal for where we live.

I asked about a potential refund for that nights stay because

a: we didn't get much sleep at all.
b: we had to leave the hotel in the morning for a few hours.

We were staying for 7 days so I felt a refund for that one night would be ok.

They said they would speak to the corporation and see what they said but it was very unlikely to happen as they had accommodated us by changing our room.

A couple of hours after check out I received an email saying we wouldn't be getting a refund.

I guess I just wanted people out there to know our experience of staying at the Larchmont. Maybe I expect too much and maybe these bugs are normal but for us we will probably never stay at the Larchmont again or recommend it to friends due to this experience.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank ncooper2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Riverside, Ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We're in our 40's and have never done the shared bath thing. We were on 1st floor right next to bathrooms. Our goal was 3 nights in NYC not by Central Park or Times Square. We had already done that in years past. And most importantly did not want to waste money on a room we weren't going to be in long.

Larchmont was perfect. Great area, easy subways. The place is old and small but clean. Comes with coffee and danish in basement. Shampoo, robe, and slippers to head down to bathroom. This gets a little used to doing but was fine. They have TV's and we were traveling with another couple who was on the fifth floor. Both TV's have very little reception. We didn't care because we were in our rooms to only sleep. Beds were comfortable. This is not fancy but if you want to save money that you can then spend in all the bars and restaurants, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: First floor room could not get cool, even with A/C. Was fine because the night temp 50, could be a...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank shmrq17
texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Great location on a quite block between 5th and 6th Ave. Subway three blocks away at Union Station. Student neighborhood with NYU close by. If you lived in a dorm with a shared bath then this hotel will work for you. Friendly staff, excellent rates for NYC. Will stay again.

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank lhorns06
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights, the hotel is easy to find, we arrived late afternoon so checked in straight away. The staff were not friendly but efficient enough.
Our room was on the ground floor, so no stairs for us to use, though there is a lift. The room was basic but nice enough, we were next to a small kitchen which didnt seemed to get used much but there was a large fridge incase you needed it. On the floor there were 2 toilets & showers, the showers were very small but ok, we didnt bump in to anyone when needing to use them.
Breakfast was average, we only went once, it's toast/pastries/juice/tea & coffee.
The location is great, so close to all the action in Greenwich Village and 6th Ave, so easy to walk everywhere. There is a great restaurant down the road called 'French Roast' amazing food & a great atmosphere.
All in all a good budget hotel in a perfect location.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ellie188
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

I really liked the Larchmont, especially for a budget hotel. The staff weren't particularly friendly.. But the room itself was very comfortable. Lucky for us the shared bathroom was right outside our room which made it easy & the room was equipped with a TV and good aircon. There was a desk, double bed, wardrobe & sink so it made for a nice stay.

Located down a quiet street away from the hussle & bussle of New York but only a 10min walk from all of the main stuff. I'd definitely recommend this hotel for anyone on a budget

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gemma559
Durham, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

I have reviewed Larchmont before. We stayed again in late May, 2013, this time in a central room with 2 outside windows, 5th floor, east side of the building (I have forgotten the room number). This room was next to the shower room, but we never heard it as I had worried. In fact, the showers on this floor were both much more roomy than lower floors. We would still prefer either the front room or the room at the rear of the building, but this one was OK. The continental breakfast is a huge plus. We brought along a jar of peanut butter to fill out the meal. Another tourist from Australia had a jar of Vegemite. During our stay, we also met other tourists from Germany, Italy and Russia.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank travelerDurham_NC
england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

The Larchmont is extraordinarily good. It is budget level priced and certainly doesn't feel like it. The only downside to staying here is the shared bathroom//toilet. Otherwise it feels like you're staying in a hotel. It is a beautiful building and the staff are helpful and the rooms are good. It is in a great location for the Village, 5th Avenue and underground stations. We stayed in two North America hostels after this and there was no comparison which could be made in terms of value.

Room Tip: There is a lift- it doesn't matter
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family