“Best Hotel on the Upper East side”
Review of The Mark

The Mark
Ranked #27 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“Best Hotel on the Upper East side”
Reviewed 20 June 2011

I just spent a weekend at the new Mark hotel. This is one of the best hotels that I have ever stayed at. From the moment I arrived the staff was extremly friendly and professional. The room was wonderful. The bathroom was beautiful and the shower had great water pressure. The bed was extremly comfortable. I also visiting the bar that is off the lobby. I highly recommend the pineapple mojitos! Overall it was a great experience. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 June 2011

My stay at The Mark was superb, I almost do not want to share my experience because I don't want to miss out on my next trip! I was staying by myself and was thoroughly looked after for my stay. I loved the 24 hour checkin, the rooms and service could not be faulted and I loved it. Thank you so very much for such a wonderful stay and for looking after me so well.

Room Tip: Answer the questionnaire!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 June 2011

I have stayed in New York several times. This trip was by far my favorite, and this hotel was the reason!
The location is perfect, one block to central park, museums, shopping and great eateries within walking distance.
I like to stay at well known hotels like the Plaza or the Waldorf, but save your money and stay here, it is so reasonably priced for the location and the accommodations.

As for the rooms and ambiance, don't laugh, but I swear there must be a VP of SHINE and POLISH! Everything is so shiny, clean, and well kept, lobby hallways, and rooms, but you never see anyone doing all that cleaning! The high tech room took some figuring out even after the bellman gave us a very thorough walk through..but once we did, there is thing nicer than lowering the shades or turning off the hall light...FROM your BED!

And service was excellent...I never saw anything like the previous post on the doormen or reception, every doorman was solicitous and had to run to Madison ave to get us cabs...and the reception, concierge and room service staff, maids, etc, I have only the highest praise for, hence why I am writing such a long, detailed post. This hotel is FABULOUS and I would have aid more for such service and accommodations. You will see us again!

• Stayed June 2011
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 April 2011

My husband I had an absolutely lovely stay at the Mark. Upon our arrival, we received an immediate upgrade to a 77 Street room -- spacious and well planned space. Rooms are super comfortable with lots of gadgetry. Loved the embedded TV in the bathroom mirror. Luxurious bathroom with comfy robes and towels, double sinks and good lighting. Bedsheets and towels were of the highest quality. Housekeeping was very discreet. Leaving our room at noon, we never saw a cleaning cart waiting for us to leave. I liked the decor, but didn't love it. Black and white striped floors were everywhere in the lobby and after a while my eyes tired of the pattern. Didn't eat in the hotel, but there are wonderful small cafes and places to eat close by. Enjoyed the Atlantic Grill on Third Ave. and 77th, just a couple of blocks east. Helpful concierge and a small but comfortable lobby left us feeling pampered throughout our stay. Great location and ambiance. Because of illness, I had to change my reservation within the 24 hour cancellation window. Management was extremely understanding and gracious in allowing us to make changes at the last minute.
Free wifi as well. Absolutely enjoyable!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank margo1116
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 April 2011

This is one of the most charming, beautiful, luxurious hotel I have ever stayed in NY. Every details were thought to make your stay absolutely astonishing. Interior style is the top of refinement signed by famous French decorator Jacque Grange, bathrooms are a total dream, the restaurant by famous Jean-Georges is one of the best and the bar is the 'place to be'. Service is perfect and everything you want they make it happen! In the neighborhood, just cross the street and you will be at the most high end clothes and accessories selection at Intermix, Juicy Couture or Gagosian Shop at the ground level of the famous gallery, all the best museums of the city are just around the corner. I highly recommend this fabulous hotel to anyone who wants to make his trip unforgettable

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Paris
Reviewed 20 April 2011

Beds are amazing, AV system is awesome, staff is dedicated to all kinds of details.
I loved the bathroom as well.
You should try the restaurant as well !

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Pasadena, California
Reviewed 16 April 2011

I checked into the hotel around 3. Reception person asked me when I expected to check out following day (odd -- already thinking about me leaving, rather than welcoming me). I had no idea how a casual response to that question -- "around noon" -- would later come back to me. Keep reading. Bellman escorted me to the room, carrying bag. Plopped in the corner of the room, quickly left (with tip I gave him). I discovered the luggage rack in the closet and set it up myself (Four Seasons bellman would have set it up for me). Room was on 6th floor. "Garden view" which was more of a view of the rooftop AC units. Lovely carpet in the room. Bedroom furnishings nice -- stylish -- but somewhat predictable. Bathroom -- loved it, except the uncomfortable toilet. Next day, left early. Doorman stood chatting to a colleague while I tried to open (it wasn't easy) the large, heavy doors. Cold and wet outside. No offer of a loaner umbrella (bellman still chatting with colleague). Came back to hotel to pack bags and leave around 1145. Card would not open door. Went to front desk. Abruptly told that the card doesn't work because "you told us you were checking out at noon". I flashed them my phone -- which showed not yet noon. They then renewed the card. Went back up to room. Literally, sitting on uncomfortable toilet when phone starts ringing at 1205. I suspected it was the front desk. Did not pick up. Phone rang again a minute later. I then gathered my belongings and checked out at 1210. No thank you. No, "it was a pleasure having you", no "was everything to your liking". None of that. Just -- "do you need a paper copy of your bill?" (I don't really, but might suggest an alternative way of asking "May we offer you a paper copy of your statement?" Bottom line - service not there. One exception -- the concierge was extremely helpful with a great recommendation for lunch (just around the corner -- small upscale italian gourmet deli/restaurant). After a great lunch, he helped me retrieve my luggage, etc.. He gets it.

Room Tip: Get a room above 7th floor.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank attn2dtail
ann_palmer, General Manager at The Mark, responded to this review, 22 April 2011
Thank you for your recent review of the Mark. We constantly strive to improve our service and product, and your comments are a valuable part of this process. I am pleased to tell you that we have reviewed your comments with the appropriate staff, and are taking steps to improve the areas of concern. Once again, thank you for your feedback, and we hope to welcome you back to The Mark.