“Completely passe and borderline racist”
Review of The Mercer Hotel

The Mercer Hotel
Ranked #346 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 7 June 2013

This used to be my 2nd favorite hotel in New York, next to the Bryant Park Hotel. Yes, there are more dramatic and beautiful hotels, but coming to the Mercer made me feel like I was coming home. Nothing beats the Bryant Park Hotel in that respect, but the Mercer used to come close.

It's been a year or so, but most of the staff still knows me and welcomed me with open arms. I had two colleagues with me, one of them who was African. I needed to go to the bathroom and when I returned, I was asked "are you and colleagues staying at the hotel?" I responded "no", but I reminded them that I worked for Bacardi and that we always stay here when possible. I have already sent out an email to my colleagues, but also to my fellow alumni at Harvard and Rice Universities.

There are way more hip hotels in NYC than the Mercer and more importantly, those that don't discriminate!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank Tom S
MercerHotelNYC, Guest Relations Manager at The Mercer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Dear Customer,

It upsets us to hear that you felt this way. It is our policy here at the Mercer to ask all vistors whether they are guest of the hotel or not, due to limited space in the lobby. We value our guests and their personalized experience.

We do hope to welcome you back to the Mercer in the near future and that you enjoy your future stay with us.

Cordially yours,

There are newer reviews for The Mercer Hotel

Reviewed 20 May 2013

Whenever I go to New York I stay at the Mercer. Although Soho has changed a lot in the last decade this hotel is still the sophisticated, serene and unassuming place I fell in love with many years ago. The rooms and suites are beautiful and light and offer great views of Soho. Food and service are also very good. Until next time!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
MercerHotelNYC, General Manager at The Mercer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your great comment about the Mercer.
It's our pleasure and commitment to make our guests happy and feeling at home..
Looking forward to welcoming you during your nest stay with us.
Best regards

Reviewed 17 May 2013

I had visited Mercer before but hadn't stayed there. It had the kind of buzz that excited me. Pretty people move in and out of the hotel. The lobby / hangout area / restaurant works very well as the fulcrum of the hotel. The rooms were on the smaller side but then again it is New York. Overall we enjoyed our stay at the Mercer and we would again. Our only gripe would have been the service. For the price you pay you expect a little more. If you are looking for a property in the heart of Soho that is happening, the Mercer is it.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Buddakhan

Dear "Buddakhan"

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts after your stay with us. We appreciate your suggestions and will ensure to exceed your expectation of service during your future stay with us.
Hopefully it will not be too long before we are able to welcome you back to the Mercer.
Best personal regards

Reviewed 8 May 2013

My wife and I enjoyed a four days stay at The Mercer in April. The Studio room was spacious and very comfortable - the bathroom in particular, with very high quality towels/bathrobes and amenities. Also the bed and the textiles in the bedclothes were experienced as being particularly comfortable and of high quality. The only negative experience in the room was the climate control which did not work properly. Result: had to open the window - traffic noise.
The service and attentiveness at the Front Desk as well as the concierge/bellboys was excellent.
The service in the Lobby bar and the restaurant Kitchen was however occasionally very disappointing and the breakfast service experienced as slow - but the quality of the food when finally served was very good. One could get an impression of inadequate organizing and over staffing - this is definitely an area for improvements!
But, in total, a fine Manhattan experience in April!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Olav Egil S
MercerHotelNYC, General Manager at The Mercer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your comments. We are delighted to know that you found the hotel and staff to be accommodating. Your generous remarks will certainly be shared with the team. It is very rewarding for them to learn how much their efforts are appreciated.
Also your feedback regarding the service at the Lobby/Restaurant area is very important to us since we are constantly working on keeping a high level of service in this department as well.

Best personal regards,

Reviewed 7 May 2013

• The staff is amazing. I didn't order a pink grand piano to my room, but an early check-in and a late check-out was handled with no hassle and even smiles.
• The location kicks some serious behind. Very much in the middle of Soho. Very convenient. A busy street corner without being a crazy street corner.
• The design will not amaze you. It's not meant to. It has been described as "understated" and I agree (since I was brought up on Scandinavian design, I can't really go oooh and aaah over any so called minimalism). Want things to shine and glitter? Stay elsewhere.
• And about the Ulmer Scale: Some folks will try not to look at you when you enter the lobby, but why care where a Clooney or a Crowe stays? The "great place to see stars"-label is actually an insult to this hotel. It's a way too good a hotel for that.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your May stay with us. We are thrilled to know how much you enjoyed the Mercer and its staff. We will make sure to let them know about it, as it is always rewarding for them to learn how much their efforts are valued by our guests.
Looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
Best personal regards,

Reviewed 30 April 2013

This was our second stay at the Mercer. We spent three nights at the hotel.

We returned to the hotel because of its excellent location in the heart of SOHO and because of its comfortable, if fairly small rooms.

This time we stayed in a Mercer room. It was slightly larger than the Courtyard room we had last time, though with a view over the street, it was not as peaceful.

The room was furnished/decorated in a minimalist style, there was plenty of room for storage of clothes and suitcases (better than the Courtyard room in this respect) and the bed was large and comfortable. The ensuite was a shower room only, no bath, but the shower was large and powerful. Plenty of nice toiletries were provided. The walls between rooms seemed quite thin- we could easily hear the TV in the next room - and this, coupled with the odd bit of road noise at night could trouble light sleepers but was not a big issue for us.

We had breakfast in the lounge lobby and once again found the selection to be good. The service was prompt and the dishes tasty.

All in all, a good hotel in a good location. Quite pricey for the size and style of the room but we would probably stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

I would like to personally thank you for posting your comments. I am delighted to know that you found the hotel and staff to be accommodating. Indeed our Mercer rooms, 300 SqFt are larger than the courtyard rooms and the bathroom are also quite spacious.
Your generous remarks regarding the quality of the food will be forwarded to the chef and the kitchen staff. It is always rewarding for them to learn how much their efforts are being appreciated by our valued customers.

Best regards,

Reviewed 21 April 2013

A nice hotel for the superb location in Soho with an exclusive feel (lack of signage and photography restrictions to cater for the rich and famous). Expensive for the actual facilities though, so I won't be returning.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kate S

Dear Guest,

Thanks you for taking the time to post your comment after your April stay with us. Every and each feedback is always very helpful for us to exceed our guests expectations. The privacy of our customer is very important to us and to all our valued guests.
If you ever happened to stay again with us I would be more than happy to personally meet with you.
In the meantime and with kind regards,
I remain