“Very Satisfying Experience”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
“Very Satisfying Experience”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We booked our stay through Hotwire.com. Not knowing what to expect upon our arrival, we were pleasantly surprised. Our Cozy room was updated to a Spectator room at no additional charge. All personnel were extremely helpful and courteous. Our room was clean and comfortable. The hot apple cider and tarts on Thanksgiving Day were nice surprises. The location was perfect for our needs. The Bliss spa products were a treat. The only negative comments that I would make is that the shower curtain was too short and there was a puddle of water to wipe up on our bathroom floor after every shower. The heating system was a little noisy, but not terrible. Overall, a great place to stay with an affordable price and exceptional hospitality. We would stay at the W again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your warm welcome and our signature WOW service. I will certainly share your message with the entire W team as a remind of what we do best. Please feel free to write me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan to return. Again, thank you for you kind words, and we hope to welcome you back. – Anna M., General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (760)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This was my second or third time staying at this hotel, and I have entertained friends in the bar and lounge downstairs many times. I travel quite a bit have generally been confident in the Starwood products. Based on comparison, however, the hotel fell incredibly short of expectations.

I stayed at the hotel for 1 night on Nov. 17 in room 1243. Actually, I came very close to cancelling my reservation and checking-in to the Waldorf, Hyatt or Intercontinental based on poor service and incompetence even before being issued my room key. I arrived at what seemed to be a slow time for check-in curbside and at the front desk. I had a fair amount of heavy luggage, which my driver assisted in setting the lot in front of the hotel. There were 2 bellhops who I made eye contact, neither of whom attempted to assist while it was visibly clear they weren't occupied with any task at that moment; and, at a SPG cat. 6 hotel, one would think the bellhops would act more like a well-oiled machine in opening car doors for guests and assisting with luggage. That is part of the job description, correct? At this point, I had narrowly managed to fly out of the Midwest on the day dozens of tornadoes struck, I was tired, and I had an early flight the next morning and was going to be in-transit to Australia for 30+hrs.

When I had made this reservation for a Wonderful Room, the confirmation made an offer that is usually made at W Hotels (in my experience): "We invite you to enhance your experience at rates from an additional $10 per night. Please click "Upgrade your experience now" on the right to request your upgrade." I was extended the option of upgrading to a Spectacular King (+$10) or a Fantastic Suite ($75). I submitted the form immediately for the suite. In previous times, the request would either before confirmed or declined, based on availability, by e-mail and before arrival. I never received any notification. What's more, the person who was processing my check-in never made mention of the potential op-up; I had to ask.

As a SPG GP, there is always an allocated line for Golds and Platinums, but not at this property. Further, the person checking me in didn't note my gold status or ask which welcome amenity I would prefer. During the 15 minutes it took him to check me in, and shortly after I asked about the upgrade that was not available, I asked the agent if I would be upgraded to an enhanced room as per my gold benefits, which he had also forgotten, but saw an upgrade available in a Spectacular Corner Room. Thinking things would be fine from this point on, no...

I shuffle my luggage to room 1243 and notice the hallway littered with a large number of room service trays that I had to navigate the bags around...and again, THIS IS 'SUPPOSED TO BE' A CATEGORY 6 HOTEL.

The rooms have a visually-stimulating feature here and there, but the furnishing is really quite bare and the layout is poorly conceived. For instance, it's really underwhelming to see a 37" flatscreen pretty much raised to eye level thanks to stilts instead of it having been wall-mounted. The bathrooms have hospital lighting and 1940s tile, which is not consistent with the W Hotel's brand image. And, while I have no problem spending money on travel, I don't know of any 5* hotel that has a mandatory $6 delivery fee and an additional 21% fee added to all room service orders -- especially with the price of the items of the room service menu; enough of a profit has to be made as is.

Additionally, thinking/hoping the front desk agent had given me free wifi re: perks I usually receive, I was neither asked nor extended that benefit. That led to a conversation with the manager, who had provided the wifi and stated she was going to credit my SPG account with double bonus points, which has yet to happen. I also receive Delta Crossover rewards, which she stated , when combined with my GP status, was supposed to benefit me as a SPG Platinum (NOT the case).

In sum, either employees aren't doing their jobs (bellhops, room service tray collection, etc.), those who do their jobs don't know what they are doing, hotel amenities as advertised are below standard (again, this is a CATEGORY 6 HOTEL!), and items/services are incredibly overpriced by market comparison.

I will NEVER stay at a W Hotel again; and, if I can help it, I will prevent anyone I care about from staying at a W. And it's a shame, too. The concept for the W brand does resonate. However, over the years, the quality has diminished and the amenities, decor, ambiance has not been maintained or kept consistent to what passersby may see when peering into the lobby of a W.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Trekkingtheglobe_10
Thank you for your review. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your recent W New York experience. We cannot even begin to explain how disappointed we were to read your review detailing the dissatisfaction you experienced. Please feel free to contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com. Thank you again for bringing this to our attention and allowing us the opportunity to remedy your concerns. – Anna M., General Manager

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 2 December 2013

After reading some reviews on this site, I became worried about the type of room I reserved for a Thanksgiving trip in which my sister and I were fulfilling a bucket list item for my mom by attending the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I reached out to GM Anna McDiarmid after seeing her posts here. She and another fabulous employee, Kate Barry, were so helpful and responsive to my concerns! We were placed in a great room, fitting the three of us perfectly. Even when I was concerned about our late arrival at the hotel due to flight delays, W New York continued to be kind and reassuring.

Our check in was very smooth. Their " whenever wherever" policy of customer service proved to be very true. Anything we needed or were missing for the room, was brought to us with the simple touch of the button on the phone. Simple touches like hot apple cider in the lobby to warm guests up on a cold day were great. The lobby is definitely a popular hangout place for locals and travelers alike. Very nice modern atmosphere. Location of this hotel is ideal for walking to popular places like Central Park, Rockefeller Center, Park Avenue shops, St. Patrick's Cathedral, and much more.

Room Tip: It's NYC-don't expect large rooms. If you require a large room, make that clear upon making...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your wonderful feedback. It’s always a pleasure to see when our guests love our Whatever/Whenever service promise. I have already shared your message with Kate and the entire W New York team as a great reminder of what we do best. Please feel free to e-mail me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you are planning to return. Again, thank you and we can’t wait to welcome you back! – Anna M., General Manager
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

There's nothing wrong with this place, per se. We had a great deal (especially for New York), the location was excellent, service was good (we even got offered late check-out with no prompting at no extra charge), and the room was large by Manhattan standards. It's just that the place lacks pizazz of other W hotels we've stayed in. Everything is functional, clean and nice, but it's not particularly luxurious, contemporary or chic.

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for your post. Please accept my sincere apologies for any disappointment in your W experience. I can assure you that this is not typical of W, and please contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com if you find yourself returning to NYC. Again, thank you for your feedback, and we hope we can welcome you back. – Anna M., General Manager
Atlanta
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We recently stayed in a "fantastic" room, but honestly, it was SO not fantastic. The room (I believe is 2 steps up from the basic room) was so small. I mean ridiculously small. I get that I'm in NYC and most rooms are small (the Hudson has the smallest I think), but considering I paid for an upgraded room, it did not live up to my expectations. The bathroom door for instance couldn't be opened when someone was in front of the sink. Also the bed, which at every other W property has been wonderful, was rock hard. I felt like I was sleeping on the floor. IMO, I would check out W Union Sq, or just try your luck at a cool NYC boutique hotel.

Room Tip: At least a mega room or a suite
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. My sincere apologies for any disappointment in the size of your guestroom. I certainly appreciate your concern, and I will be more than happy to oversee a future stay with us. Please feel free to e-mail me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan a return trip. Thank you again, and I hope to hear from you soon. – Anna M., General Manager
Haymarket, Virginia
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I stayed at this place 11/29/13-12/1/13 with my wife and two kids. It was booked through Priceline. That means I got smallest room with not Queen size looking bed. (I'm not so sure if this is a queen size bed.) Anyway, room is what I expected in NYC. Typical size... nothing special. However, the location was pretty good. I walked to most of places.

The laday at frontdesk was very nice. Her name is Carmen. Even though I booked through Priceline, she was trying to upgrade my room. She offered me to switch my room to King size bed the next day. I didn't take it because it was just two nights anyway.

Overall, it was nice stay. the room was small, but the service was good.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback. My sincere apologies for any disappointment in the size of your guestroom. For future reference, our website offers a variety of rooms types and sizes to cater to many needs, and I sincerely regret that you were not informed of this. Please do not hesitate to write me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when planning to return. Again, thank you and we hope to welcome you back soon. – Anna M., General Manager
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Cool and interesting hotel. The lobby was always buzzing with activity because there's a bar on ground floor. Great vibe, especially in the evening. Excellent location also. Very small room and not too "special" in terms of service

Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your post. It’s always great to see that our guests enjoy our convenient location in the heart of Midtown East, and my apologies for any disappointment in your W experience. I will certainly share your feedback with the rest of my team, and feel free to e-mail me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan a return trip. Thank you again, and we hope to see you soon. – Anna M., General Manager