“Poor compared to other W Hotels”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of W New York

W New York
Ranked #313 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Geneva, Switzerland
“Poor compared to other W Hotels”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Having stayed at the hotel a number of times due to the proximity to my work, I am very familiar with this W hotel. This past week, my stay was particularly disappointing, to the point where I cancelled the second week of my stay and chose a different hotel.

The following points may seem trivial individually, but in sum they make up for an indifferent experience:
- Laundry was only partially returned on the day it was meant to be
- TV always skipped back to the initial 'programme loading' page (for access to the pay TV programme), which meant it was not possible to simply watch television channels
- Treadmill stopped dead twice (without my touching any buttons), which in the middle of a run/workout is annoying
- The spa was not clean

In addition, some other inconveniences like breakfast being served at 7.00 (for a business hotel that is a little late) and the fact that the rooms and bathrooms can be tiny compared to other hotels in the neighbourhood at the same price, convinced me not to stay in this particular W again. Other Ws around the world can be spectacular - the W New York on Lexington is far from that, I am afraid.

GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for your review. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the maintenance challenges encountered and the overall disappointing experience. I can assure you that this is not typical of W, and I have shared your feedback with my management team so that we can look further into these issues and rectify them immediately. Please do not hesitate to contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com if you decide to return so that I may oversee your next experience. Thank you again, and I hope we can welcome you back. – Anna M., General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (728)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lake Grove, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

We spent one night at the W after getting a decent rate on Hotwire. The room was nice, clean. The Bliss Spa shampoo/conditioner/lotion/body wash and face wash was great. Bed was comfy, really no complaints. Very quick check-in. We had to show security our room key to access the elevators at night which I actually liked, glad to know there aren't random people going through the hotel. Excellent location. We really enjoyed our stay! Would definitely recommend!

Room Tip: Not a tip for a good room, but once you're in your room, knock the temperature down a few degree...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for your review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your W experience and our Bliss WC amenities. I have already shared your comments with the rest of the W team as a reminder of what we do best. Please feel free to write me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan to return. Again, thank you for your kind words and we hope to welcome you back soon. – Anna M., General Manager
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

This place is not "hip" or "cool" by any stretch of the imagination like some W Hotels are. Possibly the worst Starwood property I've ever stayed at next to the Charlotte Sheraton.

1. Door man watched us struggle to get our luggage in.
2. LOUD construction in the lobby.
3. THE ROOM WAS TINY. TINY. As in my closet is bigger than this room tiny. There was literally ONE FOOT of space between the end of the bed and the wall.
4. Doll-sized 12 watt blow dryer.
5. There is no sign for the fitness center when you get off the elevator. The housekeeping staff spends much of their time directing people to this oddly-placed area of the building.
6. The first day I got to the fitness center there were people "trapped" inside because there is no sign that tells you how to get out using this weird red button. Also, nobody could hear them pounding and shouting because its way on the other side of the building.
7. The fitness center was fine, but by no means "State of the Art" as the hotel claims in its literature. Some Life Fitness cardio equipment and some Precor that has definitely seen its better days.
8. Difficult to get a cab in front of the hotel. Much better to use Uber.
9. Never again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank HomeGirl2
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I cannot being to describe how disappointed I was to read your review. My sincere apologies for the poor experience. For future reference, W does offer a variety of room types and sizes and also higher wattage hair dryers upon requests, and I sincerely regret that you were not informed of this. I have already shared your comments with my management team, and please do not hesitate to write me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com if you find yourself returning to NYC. Thank you again, and I hope we can welcome you back. – Anna M., General Manager

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

Dear Ms. MacDiarmid,

Recently, I was on vacation with my girlfriend Julie to celebrate her birthday in Manhattan. After, spending a wonderful sunday  night at the W Hotel located on Lexington Avenue, we decided we wanted to stay another night (her birthday night); however, room rates naturally increased due to the fact it was monday.

I wanted to express my gratitude to three members of this Lexington Avenue W Hotel in Manhattan - Teddy, Erin, and Nils who all helped to maintain an affordable rate so that I could celebrate the actual night of my girlfriend's birthday at a price we could afford.

We both absolutely love your hotel, and I plan to use your W Hotel in both New York and Montreal on future trips

• Stayed March 2014
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for your post, and for choosing W New York to celebrate such a special occasion. I am happy you enjoyed your experience, and I have already shared your wonderful comments with Teddy, Erin, Nils, and the rest of the W team. Do not hesitate to contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan to return. Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back. – Anna M., General Manager
Oak Park, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

NYC has many hotels, don't waste your time or money here. Scuff marks on all pieces of furniture, filthy rug and the bathroom - good lord - hairs everywhere and most disgustingly, smears of some dried unknown substance on the walls near the toilet. I arrived too late to have the energy to change rooms. Had I come earlier, I would have changed hotels entirely. This hotel has had so many terrible reviews and a long long time to correct these problems. And yet, just ugh. I am glad I only had to stay a few hours and then had the pleasure of checking out.

1 Thank trine t
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the cleanliness and condition of your guestroom. I can assure you that this is not typical of our hotel, and I know that both my team has been in contact with you since, and we have addressed your concerns appropriately. Again, thank you for your feedback, and I hope we can welcome you back. – Anna M., General Manager
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

The hotel is rather expensive, however the rooms are super small. Only my carry-on bag was able to fit the room, no other space was left there. The view from the room was on the parking lot and the neighbor windows, which is kinda normal for NY, however, comparing to super small room was not nice. At the time of departure they started the reconstruction of the reception are-lots of dust and noise and didn't give any discounts for the non-comfortable state. And that is in the New Year's Day, when the prices are twice more then average hotel. In addition, when booking, the SOMEHOW charged my card twice. It took me about 4 days of negotiations to get my money back. Superbad impression of W brand.

• Stayed January 2014
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for your review. Please accept my sincere apologies for the billing error made and the inconvenience it had caused. For future reference—W does offer a variety of room types and sizes to cater to the needs of all of our guests, and I sincerely regret if you were not informed of this. Please do not hesitate to reach me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com if you decide to return. Thank you again, and I hope we can welcome you back to enjoy our newly renovated Living Room. – Anna M., General Manager
Concord, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

We recently stayed at this W while my husband was traveling for work. The location is fantastic. You can easily walk to iconic NYC locations like Central Park, Radio City Music Hall, Broadway, and Rockefeller Center. We also found plenty of great restaurants within a 1 to 2 block radius.

The hotel itself is very modern and chic. The staff was all very friendly and accommodating. The rooms are pretty small (which is to be expected in Manhattan). When we checked in, we asked about a bigger room. We upgraded to a king-size bed and slightly bigger room for an extra $30/night. Because we were traveling with our young daughter, it was totally worth the added cost to us. Another thing I like about the W: They give out Bliss products. If you don't know, Bliss is a spa in NYC that makes great body lotions, soaps, etc. The Bliss Spa is connected to this hotel location.

Room Tip: Ask about the availability and cost of upgrading to a bigger room. Depending on your situation, you...
Green Features: The hotel could be more environmentally friendly by offering a recycling bin for guests in the room. There were plenty of water bottles and other beverage containers that we could have recycled given the opportunity.
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
What a pleasure to read your review! It’s always wonderful to see when our guests enjoy our convenient location and Bliss WC amenities. I will certainly share your kind words with the rest of my team, and please contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan to return. Again, thank you for your feedback, and we hope to see you soon! – Anna M., General Manager