“Studio Suite is the way to go!”
Review of W New York

W New York
Ranked #322 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 April 2014

After staying here in December and having a good experience, I opted to stay here again last week. The location of the hotel cannot be beat, and despite the negative reviews I enjoy my stays here. I find the doormen to be friendly and helpful, the quality of room service is high and the atmosphere in the rooms is relaxing and zen. There is something about the anonymity of this hotel that feels authentic and consistent with the Manhattan experience.

A big thank you to Albert for quickly solving a problem and living up to the W brand standard. Because of his efforts I will definitely be staying here again.

Room Tip: The studio suite was amazing, although I find the second and third tier of rooms to be comfortable a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

What a pleasure to read your review! It’s always wonderful to read when our guests enjoy their W experience—not to mention our loyal repeat guests! I will have already shared your kind words with Albert and the rest of my team, and do not hesitate to contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan to return. Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you again soon! – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Recently stayed at the W for a two night business trip. Arrived on Sunday night and was greeted at front desk by friendly staff. Went to room and was surprised by the cleanliness. It was much better than I expected for a NY hotel. Room was bright and well-laid out. Bathroom had nice amenities. The next morning the concierge pointed me in the right direction for my meeting and suggested coffee shops along the way. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank JackTravels1

Thank you for your kind words. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your experience and our wonderful Concierge service! I will certainly share your message with my team as a great reminder of what we do best. Please feel free to write me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan to return. Again, thank you for your feedback, and we hope to see you soon. – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 3 April 2014

First time staying in a W hotel, and was not disappointed! The hotel room/bathroom was clean, the staff were friendly and helpful free wifi for the whole duration of my holiday and the general quality of the hotel was high spec. It's in a great location, not too far from Times Square, but yet it is nice and quiet at night. Would definitely stay at the hotel again, and recommend to my friends and family.
Only reason I'm not giving it a 5 rating is because we literally only used the room as a base to sleep, so didn't get the chance to use any of their services/try their food. Overall a fantastic hotel.

Room Tip: request a room as high as possible.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your post. I am happy you enjoyed our convenient location, the styling of your guestroom, and our wonderful W talent! Please do not hesitate to e-mail me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan to return. Thank you again, and we hope to welcome you back soon. – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 2 April 2014

The hotel is kinda cool and the Bliss products are awesome! It has a great location but the room is small, which is quite commom in Manhattan. It can be a little pricy but if you get some promotional rate or if you are lucky enough to get it through a Hotwire booking, rates are ok. We had some problems during check in but the manager rewarded us with complimentary breakfast. The concierge staff was very helpful! I would definetely recommend this chain!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your feedback. It’s always wonderful to read about our guests enjoying our location and Bliss WC amenities. I am also happy that my team was able to turn your poor experience at check-in, and I will gladly share your message with them. Please feel free to contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com if you find yourself returning. Again, thank you for your kind words, and we hope to see you soon. – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Having stayed at the hotel a number of times due to the proximity to my work, I am very familiar with this W hotel. This past week, my stay was particularly disappointing, to the point where I cancelled the second week of my stay and chose a different hotel.

The following points may seem trivial individually, but in sum they make up for an indifferent experience:
- Laundry was only partially returned on the day it was meant to be
- TV always skipped back to the initial 'programme loading' page (for access to the pay TV programme), which meant it was not possible to simply watch television channels
- Treadmill stopped dead twice (without my touching any buttons), which in the middle of a run/workout is annoying
- The spa was not clean

In addition, some other inconveniences like breakfast being served at 7.00 (for a business hotel that is a little late) and the fact that the rooms and bathrooms can be tiny compared to other hotels in the neighbourhood at the same price, convinced me not to stay in this particular W again. Other Ws around the world can be spectacular - the W New York on Lexington is far from that, I am afraid.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Thank you for your review. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the maintenance challenges encountered and the overall disappointing experience. I can assure you that this is not typical of W, and I have shared your feedback with my management team so that we can look further into these issues and rectify them immediately. Please do not hesitate to contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com if you decide to return so that I may oversee your next experience. Thank you again, and I hope we can welcome you back. – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 30 March 2014

We spent one night at the W after getting a decent rate on Hotwire. The room was nice, clean. The Bliss Spa shampoo/conditioner/lotion/body wash and face wash was great. Bed was comfy, really no complaints. Very quick check-in. We had to show security our room key to access the elevators at night which I actually liked, glad to know there aren't random people going through the hotel. Excellent location. We really enjoyed our stay! Would definitely recommend!

Room Tip: Not a tip for a good room, but once you're in your room, knock the temperature down a few degree...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Thank you for your review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your W experience and our Bliss WC amenities. I have already shared your comments with the rest of the W team as a reminder of what we do best. Please feel free to write me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan to return. Again, thank you for your kind words and we hope to welcome you back soon. – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 30 March 2014

This place is not "hip" or "cool" by any stretch of the imagination like some W Hotels are. Possibly the worst Starwood property I've ever stayed at next to the Charlotte Sheraton.

1. Door man watched us struggle to get our luggage in.
2. LOUD construction in the lobby.
3. THE ROOM WAS TINY. TINY. As in my closet is bigger than this room tiny. There was literally ONE FOOT of space between the end of the bed and the wall.
4. Doll-sized 12 watt blow dryer.
5. There is no sign for the fitness center when you get off the elevator. The housekeeping staff spends much of their time directing people to this oddly-placed area of the building.
6. The first day I got to the fitness center there were people "trapped" inside because there is no sign that tells you how to get out using this weird red button. Also, nobody could hear them pounding and shouting because its way on the other side of the building.
7. The fitness center was fine, but by no means "State of the Art" as the hotel claims in its literature. Some Life Fitness cardio equipment and some Precor that has definitely seen its better days.
8. Difficult to get a cab in front of the hotel. Much better to use Uber.
9. Never again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank HomeGirl2

Thank you for your feedback. I cannot being to describe how disappointed I was to read your review. My sincere apologies for the poor experience. For future reference, W does offer a variety of room types and sizes and also higher wattage hair dryers upon requests, and I sincerely regret that you were not informed of this. I have already shared your comments with my management team, and please do not hesitate to write me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com if you find yourself returning to NYC. Thank you again, and I hope we can welcome you back. – Anna M., General Manager