“Terrible choice” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
paris
“Terrible choice”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Super, super, super small rooms (you can't move around the bed)
If you are planning to work, well it's going to be hard because there is no light in the room
Bathroom is tiny and not modern
Hotel is noisy
Yes it's well located but that's all
very expensive for the quality of what you get and the service

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank QueshuaParis
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback. My apologies for your disappointment in your W experience. I can assure you that this is not typical of our hotel, and I have shared this with my management team so that we can take a closer look and rectify your concerns immediately. Please feel free to contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com if you decide to return so that I may oversee your next experience with us. Thank you again, and I hope we can welcome you back. – Anna M., General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (719)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ithaca, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

The service at the W on Lexington Avenue was fantastic, but that's where the good praise ends.

The room I stayed in was very small even though I had upgraded to a king bed and a corner room. There seemed to be an unnecessary amount of mini-bar items placed on pressure pads. I was charged for an item simply because I had picked it up to look at it. I returned the item to its designated area after I had realized it was not complimentary, but since this was a few minutes later the item was added to my bill.

The bathroom was very small and felt cheap. There were several obvious areas of cost cutting, for example: shower curtains that were barely able to contain the shower water, vinyl siding that was peeling from the wall, and no ventilation ducts for in-air moisture from the shower.

The placement of the television in the room was uncomfortable. I woke up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, after being woken up by the noise from other guests, and promptly hit my head on the television as it is the way to the entrance to the bathroom.

There were several objects in the room that were completely unnecessary and could have been cut from the W's budget to either save them money or improve the room quality. There was a paperweight on the desk that contained an optical illusion. I can't imagine that having several thousand of these was actually necessary to the hotel and the money could have been spent on better linens or carpets.

I would not go back to this particular W hotel. I believe they need to do some rooms maintenance in order to keep up with their image as a brand. The service professionals at this hotel deserve a better working environment for the level of service that they provided.

Room Tip: Try to get rooms away from the elevators on the middle floors but not at the extremities of the buil...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I cannot begin to express how disappointed I was to read your review. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences experienced. Please feel free to contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com so that I may rectify your concerns immediately. Thank you again, and I look forward to hearing from you. – Anna M., General Manager

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Swarthmore, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Room was pleasant but very small. Almost no room between bed and radiator. Bath was clean but shower control was confusing. Staff was excellent. Lobby was pleasant but noisy. very quiet in room. Stayed in better New York hotels for the price

GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for sharing with TripAdvisor! It’s always a pleasure to read when our guests enjoy our signature WOW service! My apologies for the difficulty with your shower, and I will be sure to share this feedback with the rest of my team. Please do not hesitate to write me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan to return. Thank you again, and we hope to see you again soon. – Anna M., General Manager
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Great midtown location on the east side. Every staff member I came into contact with was helpful and friendly. Hotel is old and room was small, but it was clean and nicely decorated in a modern theme. My room did not face traffic, which means it had no view, but it was also absolutely quiet. Comfortable bed. Bathroom was clean and nicely done but it was small, not unexpected in an older NYC hotel. Beware of the in-room snacks and drinks: as it literally says in the small print on the back of the price list, "They are automated. If they are moved your account will be billed immediately." Don't pick them up to inspect, or they will bill your card. No warning beforehand, and in fact no indication that a transaction has taken place until you see the $100 reserve on your credit card. This is truly unscrupulous and by itself is enough to keep me from coming back.

2 Thank sole_city
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for your review. I am happy that you enjoyed our Whatever/Whenever service form our talent members. My apologies for the challenges with our munchies bar system. For future reference, we will be more than happy to adjust any charges that may have occurred in error, and I regret fi you were not informed of this. Please feel free to e-mail me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan to return. Again, thank you for your review, and we hope to welcome you back soon. – Anna M., General Manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night. Small but nice lobby. Upgraded to a studio suite on the 15th views, with decent views. Comfortable bed with large room. Love the bliss products. Combo shower and bathtub.

Great location. Pleasant and helpful staff. All good.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Brooklyntraveling
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you for your review! It’s always a pleasure to read about our guests enjoying their W experience and our Bliss WC amenities! I have already shared your comments with the rest of my team, and please feel free to contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan to return. Again, thank you for your kind words, and we hope to welcome you back soon. – Anna M., General Manager
London UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Ok, so I've decided to start with the negatives first on this hotel purely because I think they are few and the benefits far outweigh them although they are hugely important when making a decision on where to stay in NYC.

The rooms are teeny tiny, I've been to NYC many times and fully understand that most hotels have tiny rooms, but, when you are paying so much you expect the rooms to be a bit larger. We were in a spectacular room which is the third room up on their scale of rooms, it was comfortable for us but the bathroom was the size of a matchbox. Our friends were in a Wonderful room and that was another level small so I hate to think what the Cozy rooms are like. If you're staying here I advise a Spectacular and nothing lower.

My biggest problem here was the noise level, I stayed here for a week and got woken every single day by the traffic and sirens, I was on the 8th floor and honestly felt like I may have well have been sleeping on the pavement with how clearly I could here the traffic, serious sound proofing needs to be done!!

Ok, that's my moaning done, the positives are that it's as swish as you would expect it to be bearing in mind how much you are paying, lovely Bliss products in the bathroom and anything you could ever really need amenity wise. The thing that makes this hotel great though is most definitely the staff, I haven't experienced that level of genuine effort and helpfulness (and not just because they want a tip) in a very long time.

We were staying for my partners birthday and they honestly bent over backwards for us, almost everyday we'd come back to a gift of something or other be it a slide of cake, bottle of wine or chocolate covered strawberries, which was so very nice and felt like a real treat. Special mention to David Nichlos who made an extra special effort with us, every hotel should have one of him!!! Overall a pleasant stay...

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Mollymou
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback. My apologies for the noise level outside of your guestroom and any inconvenience this had caused. At the same time, it is great to read how we were able to WOW you for such a special occasion! I have already shared your comments with David and the rest of my team, and do not hesitate to contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan to return. Thank you again, and we hope to see you soon! – Anna M., General Manager
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

I was booked into this hotel by my company for 4 days. The hotel looked nice online and when I got there was pretty much up to par with what you see in the photos. My flight arrived very early in the morning and when I checked in, they were kind enough to actually give me my room at such an early time (8AM). I thought I would have to wander about the streets for a few hours. This was a nice bonus after landing from a red eye flight.

The check in staff were quite friendly and helpful. Since I now had my room, I went in, took a shower and grabbed short snooze. The room was small and awkwardly laid out. But, it was more than adequate in size. Also larger than most of the hotels I have stayed in NYC. The closet was on the other side of the bed with a narrow path around the bed. This made going to and from tight. There is also a large TV mounted on a pole which you must nudge past. There were probably hot water pipes in the corner of the room which created a little too much heat which I had countered with the air conditioner. The A/C worked well, but, a little loud. The bathroom was decent, although a little tight. You bang your elbows on the sink or shower glass when sitting on the toilet. Also, the shower is narrow so be careful not to bang your head too much. The complimentary soaps and creams were nice. I did notice a little bit of hairs in a few places, but, other than that, the room was clean. The bed was a Queen and very comfortable for my 4 days.

There is a fully stocked bar and snacks which are pricey, but, no coffee at all in the room. After a day out sight seeing, I came back to my room and ordered room service. It is fairly priced, but, the extras add up fast. 20% gratuity and on top of that a $5 service charge for room service easily adds another $20 onto a dinner for one. The food was very good and large in portion, so, although I was hungry, had a challenge to finish it all. Note the restaurant down by the lobby opens more or less for breakfast and drinks in the evening. No hope for lunch though.

Throughout the stay, the staff at the hotel were always very friendly and helpful. The location is very good and close to many things such as shopping and restaurants. I was quite satisfied with this stay and would recommend this to anyone staying in New York.

Room Tip: Inside view room was quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank BCSandman2
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you for your post. I am glad that you enjoyed your W experience, and my apologies for any disappointment in the size of your guestroom. I will share you message with the rest of our management team, and please feel free to write me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan a return trip. Again, thank you for your feedback, and we hope to welcome you back. – Anna M., General Manager