“Just average”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Beverly Hills, MI
“Just average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed at the W because my niece is an SPG; her sister and mom joined us, so we were 4 in a mega room. I have to preface this by saying we'd just spent several nights at a Starwood in Brooklyn, and this was SO not that. The room cost at least double what I would have spent had I been in Manhattan by myself. Pros: great location, exactly where we wanted to be, close to subway and shopping and sights. Room was clean and well-furnished. Nice Bliss bath products. Cons: no coffee maker - I find out now that we could have asked for one and it would have been complimentary; the reason I didn't ask is I assumed there would be a fee, as there was for everything else. (We joked that maybe we'd have to pay for using the shampoo.) Cup of coffee in the lobby in the morning was $4 - ouch. No free water for SPG. There was complimentary infused water in the lobby, but it was always empty when we walked past it. a The bathroom, while pretty, was not very functional for 4 women - no shower curtain so no privacy or possibility of sharing the bath for any reason. A pedestal sink (= no counter top for all our "stuff"). The bath had a weird, thin glass door, and no fan. HVAC was loud at night, noticeably so; and this was in April, so no telling what it would be like when it's really warm/cold out. The real deal-breaker was the wifi limit of 3 devices. We did not even have the option of paying for a 4th device - the wifi message simply said if we connected an additional device, the first one on would be dropped. All 4 of us were researching Things To Do on our laptops - well, only 3 of us. I had never stayed in a W before, and always considered it to be a premier hotel brand. I have reconsidered that opinion. We had a nice stay, but I've had way better rooms for less money at other hotels in NYC.

Green Features: Did not notice any "green" placards. No recycle bins, in the room or the lobby. Tsk, tsk.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for your review. While we are glad to read that you enjoyed our convenient location and Bliss WC amenities, we are sincerely sorry for the inconveniences you experienced. For future reference, W does offer complimentary Wi-Fi in our Living Room, and I sincerely regret you were not informed of this. Please feel free to reach me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com if you find yourself returning to NYC. Thank you again, and I hope to hear from you soon. – Anna M., General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (730)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Over 20 of us stayed here & as a big group we were all dealt with really well, nice rooms, clean, good facilities (fab hair dryer), good quick service, friendly unobtrusive staff, great location, helpful doormen- all that you need! Thanks W!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Wow! I am so glad to hear that you and your group had a wonderful experience at our hotel. I have shared your kind words with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the W New York, and please contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you are planning to return. Again, thank you for your great feedback! – Anna M., General Manager
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Hotel is nicely located on Lexington Ave, 2 or 3 blocks from a subway station and a 10 minute walk from Grand Central (depending on fast you walk). Also a short walk to Rockefeller Center and Times Square and some major shopping (Saks, Bloomingdale's, etc).

Check in staff was very nice, I was told I was upgraded but the room was still very small, no more than 2 people would be comfortable there, but I was alone so I was fine...just surprised that it was considered an upgrade haha!

Everyone was very nice though from the check in staff to housekeeping to the gentlemen who help with baggage and taxis. I read a lot of reviews here and on yelp that the staff was terrible but I found the opposite was true, everyone I encountered was nice and helpful. They allowed me to check at about 9am, much earlier than the specified time (though I find major hotel chains usually allow this as long as rooms are available).

Bathroom was interesting, the shower curtain didn't reach all the way around the shower so the sink was exposed and I got water everywhere. Also, the mirror above the sink is very high, obviously not good for short people like myself, I'm 5'0 and I could only see the top of my head.

Others were right about sound proofing rooms though. I couldn't hear people in other rooms but when people walked in the hallway and spoke loudly it was as if the walls were paper thin. It didn't happen often enough for me to complain, maybe twice over 3 days and probably from people coming back drunk but I've never been in a hotel where I could hear so much coming from the hallway.

Construction in the lobby had actually completed the day I checked in. It was still covered when I arrived at 9am, and when I came back to the hotel that afternoon everything was uncovered.

I didn't try the restaurant or food service, why do that in New York when there are hundreds of the best places to eat?!

They allowed me to leave my bags when I checked out, free of charge (though a tip is always nice) for a few hours as my flight left in the evening.

All in all, very nice hotel, good location, good staff. I'd probably stay again if it's just me, or if I have one other person as the rooms are quite small.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. While I am thrilled to hear that you found our talent to be accommodating, I apologize for your disappointment with the WC design. I have shared your comments with our team so we may look further into these issues. Thank you again for your post. Please contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you are planning your next escape to NYC. – Anna M., General Manager
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Capel Saint Mary, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed in Feb 2014 to celebrate the missus' 40th birthday. Concierge was very helpful and also organised a surprise bottle of fizz and chocolate strawberries for us.

Hotel was well located just a short walk from the subway and close enough to walk everywhere, although it is a trek. May be better to just subway it everywhere.

Room was well appointed if a little small but from what I've read that's standard for NYC. Clean and tidy but just starting to show its age a little. It was fine for us but may look shabby soon. Bathroom was nice and complimentary hot toddy cider was just what we needed after a day sightseeing.

I'd stay here again, no problem

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words and for choosing us to celebrate your wife’s birthday! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and your time in NYC. I have already shared your comments with my team as a reminder of what we do best. Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Please do not hesitate to contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan to return. – Anna M., General Manager
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I will keep it brief:

1) the room was SO small we couldn't open our luggage and you couldn't even walk around the bed (the feet of the bed almost touched the wall)
2) the male fauna of the hotel which you will meet at night outside of your room or in elevators will chill your bones. I am no whimp and been around the block a few times, however I don't expect drunke guys looking for attention roaming the corridors and elevators of a "luxury" hotel at night. Whilst holding a bottle.
3)I was greeted by the rudest girl with an attitude and a chewing gum in her mouth which she chewed real loud in my face.
4) the staff is not so helpful and won't go out of their way to accommodate you, even if that is what you would expect in an expensive hotel
5) the bathroom was So small you couldn't find a place for anything. real challenging to wash up in the morning.

I will never return

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Siuzie
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to hear about the unfriendly service at our Welcome Desk and your disappointment with our W design. Please contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com as I would like the opportunity to remedy your concerns immediately. Thank you again, and I hope to hear from you soon. – Anna M., General Manager

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Noida, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

This is the original W (I believe the first one to be built ever). So it should be leading the way. But, the lobby was nice but boring mostly, no hip crowd - no fun whatsoever. It was surprisingly quiet on a nice spring evening (when I would expect a lot of party crowd in W).

Even after upgrade, my room was too small (I can't imagine what the smallest size would be).

The only plus is it has a great location (Lex avenue). Cant think of any other reason why one would chose it over the peers.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank TusharBhatia
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback. Please accept our apologies for your disappointment in the upgrade provided. I’ll be sure to share your comments with our team as we are always looking to make improvements. Please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you are planning your next trip to NYC as we would like redeem your faith in W. Thank you again for your review. I hope to hear from you soon. – Anna M., General Manager