“Ok...not 4 Star”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Corning, New York
“Ok...not 4 Star”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This is not a 4 star Hotel. We upgraded to a large room and still the smallest room we have ever had in NYC. The room was very worn (walls very scuffed) carpet well used.
The nicest people their we actually the parking Valets. Close to the subway is a plus.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TravelsBilt
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with our online community. Please accept my apologies for the conditions of your guestroom and your disappointment with your guestroom size. I have taken this opportunity to share your comments with our management team so that we may look further into these issues. As we are always looking to improve our guest experience, please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com as I would like to hear more about your interactions with our other talent. Thanks again for your post. I look forward to hearing from you soon. – Anna M., General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (760)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New Orleans, Louisiana

The Good News:
The location is perfect and the hotel room was bigger than I was expecting for NYC. Three of us stayed in a room with two double beds and fit pretty comfortably - luggage and all! A concierge, I believe his name was Jeff, was so helpful in suggesting places and making reservations. Upon his suggestion, we enjoyed fantastic comedy clubs, a rooftop bar/restaurant and great Italian restaurant. He was super friendly and welcoming.

Also, they offer complimentary refreshing cucumber/lemon water that will save your life after walking around the city all day. Now I make it at home too!

The Bad News:
The only reasons I didn't give it five stars is because they forgot to give us towels 2 of the nights we were there (we stayed 5 nights). We asked the front desk for some and they said they would send somebody with them, but no one came. The other reason is because there was a female concierge who was more condescending than helpful. Anytime she was at the desk, we just waited for someone else.

Overall it was a good experience. It didn't leave me in awe or "wowed" but I didn't travel to New York for the hotel room. That city is jam packed with culture and flare, so we didn't spend much time hanging around in the room.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Leslie C
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thanks for your post. While I am glad that you enjoyed your guestroom and had a great experience with one of our Concierges, I am disappointed to hear about the inconveniences you experienced with the Styling service of your guestroom and the unpleasant encounter with another Concierge. This is not typical of our hotel, and I will share your comments with my team so they can take a closer look at these issues and rectify immediately. Thanks again for your review. Please contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you are planning your next stay. We hope to welcome you back again soon. – Anna M., General Manager
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I have to get home every quarter to keep my edge. The W hotel on Lex ave is the best place to stay. Centrally located to mass transit, this is the place. Especially when you have great customer service reps like Carmen. The best first greeting as you approach the check in counter. This location has a great feel, comfortable, relaxing, bustling at times. I highly recommend this location.. See you soon....

Room Tip: all rooms are good to go.
Green Features: I think the W is doing good things in regards to the environment. Keep up the good work.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Wow! Thanks for your great review and your kind words about Carmen. I’m so happy that you have chosen to stay with us during your visits home and have enjoyed the service and atmosphere of the hotel. I am looking forward to sharing your comments with my team as a reminder of what we do best! Please contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com before your next stay. Thanks again for your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon! – Anna M., General Manager
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I've stayed at W hotels in different cities (LA, Doha, etc.). This one wasn't the best, but that can be expected for NYC. Nice gadgets and funky W hotel touches, but a little too expensive for the value. Great location, though--close to many of the tourist sights (Central Park, Radio City, Rockefeller Plaza), so the location alone makes it worthwhile.

Room Tip: Try to get a view of something other than the Waldorf Astoria smack across the street. Higher floors...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Alladin J
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for your post. I’m glad to hear that you have been experiencing W hotels around the world and that you enjoyed our location in Midtown Manhattan. Thanks again for your comments. Please write to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com before your next trip. We hope to see you again soon. – Anna M., General Manager
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Got a great Hotwire rate on this hotel. Nothing special and didn't really spend too much time here. Great little bar. Watched Yankees go into bottom of 9th with 0 points. Can back at last second to beat Orioles by scoring 5. As always, W had great apples!

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank mavfan59
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thanks for your review. I’m happy to hear that you had the chance to enjoy our newly renovated Living Room and, of course, some W apples! Thanks again for your post. Please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you are planning your next trip. We hope to see you again soon! – Anna M., General Manager
Melbourne
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Our stay here was very nice and it is the best location in NYC in our opinion. There is a hop on hop off bus stop just across the road. We felt very safe there the whole time. The rooms are a little small but we knew that before we booked. All the staff there are above and beyond what is expected (very good staff). The only thing we can complain about is the concierge , we found them to be very slack and short cut takers so I recommend that you organize your own transfers, day trips etc as they were well below standard. They could not help us with simple requests such as a shuttle bus to the airport which they got totally wrong and we had to pay double for. Unable to help us with simple bus questions etc. Every one else was fantastic though!

Room Tip: Rooms are very small
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sam C
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thanks for your feedback! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay; however, I must apologize for your experience with our Concierge team. We are always looking to improve the guest experience, and I will share your comments with my management team so they can address your concerns immediately. Thanks again for your comments. Please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com before your next trip. We hope to welcome you back again soon! – Anna M., General Manager
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This is my favorite W hotel in NYC. Great location, amazing staff, always clean & that signature fragrance when you walk in. Mmmmm.

The staff is alway very welcoming and accommodating. Being in midtown is a huge convenience to most everything in NYC. You can walk to Times Sq, the theater district and some of the best shopping in the world on Park, Madison or 5th Avenue.

There are tons of restaurants within walking distance as well from fine dining to a slice of pizza.

They're Whatever, Whenever service provides free transportation up to the 80's, but you have to book the car VERY early! It goes fast.

It's a great place to stay in the city!

Room Tip: Get as far away from the elevators as you can. All the way to the end in one of the corner rooms...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tom S
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thanks for your great comments! I am delighted that you have chosen us to be your home away from home when you are in NYC and that you have found our talent to be friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, the partnership between W Hotels and Acura has ended; however, our amazing Concierge team is always happy to assist you with any of your transportation needs. Please do reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com before your next stay. Thanks again for your feedback. We look forward to seeing you again soon! – Anna M., General Manager