“Very Disapointing”

W New York
Ranked #322 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 July 2014

When i arrived at the hotel at 2:30 in the morning on Friday the 27th after being at work for 20 hours the air conditioner in the room wouldn't work at all. I went down to the front desk and asked for a new room since I hadn't even sat down in the room yet. The gentleman behind the desk said no and that he would call engineering and I should go up to my room and wait for them. After 20 minutes an engineer came in the room with his ladder and opened the ceiling and started working on the air conditioner (IT IS NOW 3AM). After 10 - 15 minutes of trying to get it to turn on I took my bags and went downstairs and asked again for another room. He assigned me to another room. When I got there, the air conditioner wouldn't work again. Once you put it below 70 degrees it shut off. At this point I just went to bed. They also screwed up my bill by charging me for an extra night. I called them on Monday to resolve it and was told i would hear back immediately. Nothing for 4 days. I called back on Thursday and spoke with another manager who said they finally credited my account. I am pretty sure this was the last time I stay at a W.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Thanks for your post. I understand that someone from my team has already been in touch with you. Again, please accept our sincerest apologies for your recent experience with us. We have already shared your comments with our management team so they can address your concerns immediately. Please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com should you decide to return so I can oversee your W experience. Thanks again for your feedback, and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon. – Anna M., General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,637)

Reviewed 1 July 2014

In NYC often enough and I don't really review. I'm doing so now only because of where it landed me ultimately.

Stayed at W Hotel on Lexington, had a nice room, thank god, because a friend didn't and was staring at a wall not 10' away. Hallways are dark, decor is tacky, shiny and weird but it's trying to be trendy although trendy for maybe the 90's. Desk staff is disinterested. Restaurant was a lesson in patience to put it mildly and you have to take an elevator to use the restrooms for both the restaurant as well as the lobby bar. Duh.

We decided to stay in NY for another couple of days, so I went to the lobby to extend it, who wants to pack up and leave? It wasn't that bad. Our room was actually great. And it's NY, you don't think much about the hotel because the world around you is so exciting and busy and dirty and you kind of stop looking at things like that, or crabby attitudes. It's just part of being in NY. But here I was spending money in their hotel and they wouldn't just let me stay for the same amount of money! Would you believe they wanted more per day? And that took me to almost $500! and they weren't busy! Can you imagine? So I went online and found another hotel. Screw it I'll move.. The Parker Meridian. Basically the same money and a far superior hotel. It's also a Starwood so you still get your points or whatever. This W place is a dud if you have an aesthetic. Go to the Meridian.

Room Tip: The rooms are TINY. You have to get a studio or something.. Noisy near the elevators.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank LowMilesMom
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed to hear about your recent visit. This is certainly not the W experience we aim to provide our guests and I am truly sorry this happened to you. As we are always looking for ways to improve guest service, I’d like to hear more about your interactions at the Welcome Desk and restaurant so that I can share your comments with my team and address immediately. Please contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com. Thanks again for your review. I look forward to hearing from you soon. – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed at the W for my brother-in-law's wedding. It was the second time I've stayed there while in NYC. It's the same look and feel as a standard W but the staff is exceptional compared to other W Hotels I've stayed at. Check in was fast and I was upgraded to a larger room at no charge. The room is a decent size with a queen bed and desk. One of the few hotels I've stayed in in a long time where there is a full mini bar and snacks. You have to be careful because the snacks are all on sensors so if you lift something or move it you get charged. They are really good about taking it off your bill because the maid will just verify if you really ate or drank something. The closet and bathroom are pretty small but at least they have robes. The shower is really weird. The glass door is only a half door so it's like you are taking a shower with the door open. I'm not sure what the logic behind the design is but the floor still does get a bit wet if you're a bigger guy/girl taking a shower. They provide extra towels so we didn't have a problem with it. So back to the staff, the cleaning ladies were so nice and they paid attention to when you were coming and going so your room was cleaned immediately. The concierge gave us a ton of great thoughtful advice about where to see live music and on the last day I was trying to print my boarding pass and the printer wasn't working at the station. A girl from the restaurant got me some help right away, two people came to check on me, volunteered to print my boarding pass at the concierge or the front desk and basically you could just tell they really cared about your experience. The check out guy was patient with me when I checked out and changed my method of payment and asked to have one of our mini bar charges taken off since we didn't eat the nuts we touched.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Wow! Thanks for your gracious words about our talent. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I can’t wait to share your comments with my team as a reminder of what we do best! Additionally, I appreciate your feedback on your guestroom shower, and my team will take a closer look at your concerns. Please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com before your next visit. Thanks again for your kind words. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to W New York again soon! – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Does W stand for Wow? Thats all it was for my trip at this wonderful establishment in midtown. Convenient to anything and everything imaginable, the W is where its at. Checkin was smooth and quick, minor request were honored such as having a high floor with a late check-out and the room was amazing. Didnt have to ask for anything & Fed my expectation of this trendsetting hotel. Being in town just for leisure, to also find inspiration for a Fashion collection im working on, the team @ W Lexington made it so worth while. The staff is friendly and I guess working for a modern/victorian boutique hotel in Maryland, you cant help to notice genuine serivce in a Posh place like the W. One staff member who stood out the most was Kevin. During checkout he asked us how was my stay of course but, also he asked how was my experience with the local festival that was goin on that sunday during checkout. He informed me that it goes on in several districts and this weekend it jus so happen to be at the Lexington location. Posh Hotel, AMAZING BED, INSPIRATION & STREET FOOD? Thanks W...You're my goto hotel when staying in the Area.

Room Tip: Wanna feed your Ego with grest service....come here.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Thanks so much for your great review! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your W experience and your interactions with our talent. I am looking forward to sharing your comments with Kevin and the rest of our team as a reminder of the memorable service we strive to provide. Please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com before your next visit. Thanks again for your kind words, and we are excited welcome you back again soon! – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 29 June 2014

It is with regrets that I give this hotel such a poor rating. I would have given it a "terrible" rating, but the staff was wonderful and helpful. The front desk did what they could in helping, but they were limited in what they could do.
I know that I stayed in the heart of the city and the location was outstanding, but this hotel needs some revamping. I walked into our room and wondered where to put my clothes and toiletries. We had 3 people staying in the room, but there was not enough space for my stuff. We had one cabinet with 2 tiny drawers. The closet was petite and there was no place for a toiletry bag in the bathroom. The room smelled musty and the bathroom shower curtain had a moldy smell. The front desk was quick to replace it. I could go on and on with the "little" problems, but I really don't want to nitpick. Suffice it to say that the price we were paying was insanely high for all the problems.
Our stay in this hotel was one week. The only other comment I will make addressing our room was that I felt that the room was not kept clean every day. It's almost as if we were punished for a longer stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Vivian O

Thanks for your post. While I’m glad to hear you found our talent to be accommodating, I must apologize for the cleanliness of your guestroom and your disappointment with your guestroom size. We take our guest feedback very seriously, and I will be sharing your comments with my team for immediate follow-up. Should you find yourself planning another trip, please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com so I can help make your next NYC escape better. Thanks again for your review, and we hope to see you again soon. – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Overall, this place looks pretty typical for a W. It's trendy and stylish, a bit fun and funky. The location is decent too, if you're visiting things in Midtown Manhattan.

The positives for my visit included a clean room with contemporary decor, a comfortable bed and a nice workout room with plenty of cardio gear, free weights and machines. While I didn't use it, the minibar/snack selection in the room looked very nice.

The negatives were a pretty small room (although not the smallest I've had in NYC), it was a bit pricey and it had a very noisy air conditioner unit that woke me up regularly through the night. The a/c had both a loud fan and lots of clicking noises every time the cooling unit turned on or off.

If your a loyalist to W hotels and are choosing between this one and the one at Times Square, I would definitely go with this one.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thanks for your feedback. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your guestroom and FIT; however, my sincerest apologies for the noise disturbances you experienced during your stay with us. I will share your comments with my team so they can take a closer look at your concerns and address immediately. Thanks again for your review. Please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com before your next trip. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon! – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 29 June 2014

This is not a 4 star Hotel. We upgraded to a large room and still the smallest room we have ever had in NYC. The room was very worn (walls very scuffed) carpet well used.
The nicest people their we actually the parking Valets. Close to the subway is a plus.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TravelsBilt

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with our online community. Please accept my apologies for the conditions of your guestroom and your disappointment with your guestroom size. I have taken this opportunity to share your comments with our management team so that we may look further into these issues. As we are always looking to improve our guest experience, please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com as I would like to hear more about your interactions with our other talent. Thanks again for your post. I look forward to hearing from you soon. – Anna M., General Manager