“Great experience”

W New York
Ranked #318 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I was only two days at the hotel during 4th of July weekend. My experience was totally grateful, comfortable room and bed, very clean. The people in the front desk was very nice and helpful.
We didn't have breakfast at the hotel because you can find great places nearby and the metro station is just a couple of blocks away. I'll definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thanks for your great review and choosing to stay with us during the holiday weekend! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your room and your interactions with our Welcome Desk talent. I’ll be sure to share your comments with my team. Thanks again for your post. Please write to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you are planning your next visit. We hope to see you again soon! – Anna M., General Manager

There are newer reviews for W New York

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed in the 'Spectacular' room, was spotless and roomy enough for 2. The staff was awesome and seemed happy to assist us. The guy that checked us in made my 10 yr. old niece feel special when he presented her with a W teddy bear. It's close to the Subway. The food, beverages and snacks were expensive so we didn't buy then. I'll stay there again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Thanks for your feedback and for choosing us for your NYC escape with your niece. I am so pleased that you received a warm welcome upon arrival and enjoyed your W experience. I am looking forward to sharing your comments with my team as a reminder of the memorable service we aim to provide. Please write to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com before your next visit. Thanks again for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back to W New York again soon! – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I was very excited to stay at this hotel for an anniversary trip, and for the most part, it was okay.
Pros: the location is wonderful, the service is exceptional (honestly like nothing I've seen), and the cleaning service was great too.
Cons: I guess I'm just not used to paying for wifi, so that was a shock, the TV rarely worked during the few times we wanted it, and some of the décor seems to be covering up areas that are run down.
Overall, I would visit again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your post and for choosing us to help you celebrate such a special occasion. While I’m delighted to hear that you were impressed with the service you received from our talent and enjoyed our great location in Manhattan, I must apologize for the maintenance challenges you encountered during your stay. Additionally, for future reference, internet is complimentary in our Living Room, and I am sincerely sorry that you were not informed of this during your stay. We are always looking to improve our guest experience, and I will be sharing your comments with my team for immediate follow-up. Thanks again for your feedback. Please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you are planning your next trip. We look forward to seeing you again soon! – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I have booked a corner room and I paid more but the room was really small and unfortunately not well-cleaned. The bathroom needed to be re-cleaned and that's why I asked that. The receptionists were unfriendly and very abrupt. At the lobby there is a very nice bar but if you stay at the first floors, expect to hear lots of noise. I was at the 10-th floor. The best thing about this hotel was the food (in room service and the restaurant downstairs offered nice food and not that pricey). You may expect to see some celebrities at the bar-club at the night but this is obviously not a reason for staying there.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Thanks for your feedback on your recent stay with us. Please accept my apologies for the cleanliness of your guestroom and the unfriendly service you received at the Welcome Desk. This is not typical of our hotel, and I am disappointed to hear about your experience. I will be sharing your comments with my team so they can address your concerns immediately. Thank you again for your review. Please feel free to reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com before your next visit so I can oversee your W experience. We hope to see you again soon. – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Be careful when giving your credit card for incidentals on arrival, $100 was taken, none of which was spent, took 3 weeks to return money to card & numerous emails after we had returned from holiday. Make sure you check your credit card statement!

Room Tip: We went for a value room, more money to spend in NY.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your review. My sincerest apologies for the long time period in which it took for the release of the $100 authorization to reflect on your account. Unfortunately, we don’t have any control over the authorization once you check-out, and I’m very sorry for any inconvenience this caused. Please do write to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com should you decide to return. Thanks again for your post. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon. – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights as I was trying to figure out if this hotel would be adequate for my business trips. The W in Times Square was overrated and obviously not ideal for someone in business and I knew this was a atmosphere as it was on the east side. Well, I got in early that morning and was able to check in. To my surprise they already had a room ready and they told me I got upgraded. The elevators are tiny - indicative of the room size you'll probably get. When I got to my room the first thing I thought was that these rooms are AWFULLY SMALL and this is an upgrade based on Platinum status. I thought about what some people get by taking the cheaper route to reserve the 'cozy' rooms. Don't do it. Just don't do it. You'll be really upset you chose a small room. It's absolutely shocking to me and I normally don't feel cramped in a hotel room but this made feel terrible. The rooms need some refurbishing. I've been to a few W's and I know that this was the first - but there still needs to be something that should be done. They have a lounge area and a restaurant but just due to the fact that my room was so tiny I had no desire to stay inside that hotel.

Now on the 2nd night I woke up and realized I was tattooed by Charlotte the spider. I went downstairs that following morning, livid, and spoke directly to a manager. I had to explain that not only am I going to leave with the thought of staying at this hotel but I will have the physical reminder of not one, but two spider bites. I showed her the evidence and the swelling of those bites and asked her to have someone clean out the room and don't let any of her cousins in and I want her to inspect the room. Additionally, I told her to do what she felt was best. I just wanted it cleaned and inspected. Basically, do whatever you need to do to ensure I don't get bit again. Later in the afternoon, she assured me the room had been cleaned and inspected. Hmmm - a few hours later, I found the artist (spider), and left the evidence for them to see. I was then moved to another 'suite' that had miraculously become available only to walk in and the room smell like mildew. Unacceptable. I prefer to not breathe in mold spores and I called back down to have me moved again. The staff were friendly and shocked about the situation but I clearly wasn't calm. This was ridiculous. The guy who they sent to deliver the key was very apologetic to me. He was really concerned however, I told him he isn't the manager of the hotel -- that's not his responsibility. I brought him inside and he was shocked that it smelled so bad. He mentioned it could've have been a prior guest that turns off the AC - once again, the manager needs to ensure guests of the hotel aren't breathing in this mess and the fact that it was a W is incomprehensible. Whatever needs to be done - the manager needs to provide oversight to the hotel.

I was finally given another suite on a lower floor that was what I would expect from this W. This made me wonder why I had to go through all of this for them to finally give me this room - which I should've got from the very beginning. I understand I did not ask to put me in your best suite, however, had the hotel cared about its guests (especially those with the highest status) it would've offered it's best rooms for its loyal customers and not hold it out just in case. It really makes me reconsider the W brand and this is my favorite hotel. I hate writing bad reviews but at the end of the day it's all about peace of mind and comfort. But peace of mind for me is my #1 priority.

If you like small rooms and tattoos stay here. I wouldn't recommend this hotel as there are other (better) hotels that give you more value for your money.

Room Tip: Only get a suite at this hotel if you actually want to stay here.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank remadrid17

Thanks for your feedback. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the lack of concern extended to you and your overall poor experience with us. This is not typical of our hotel, and I am truly sorry this happened to you. Our goal is to provide our guests with a welcoming, home-away-from-home, and I am disappointed to hear that we did not properly carry out this promise. We are grateful that you have taken the time to reach out to us and please be assured we are taking every measure available to ensure this situation is eradicated. Please contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com should you decide to return so I can help make your W experience better. Thanks again for bringing this to my attention. We hope to see you again soon. – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Stayed there for 4 nights, and I was very happy to have chosen this hotel. We stayed in a simple cozy room. The rooms were very clean with a very nice interior design. The furnishing was well considered. Rooms are always small in Manhatten, but in the W-hotel the design made it feel spacious. I was really impressed they could make it feel that spacious. Comfortable bed nice rainshower.
Everything was provided for : pen, paper, mini-bar with beverages, candy (salt & sweet), several different phone-chargers, tiny first aid kit, etc...
Staff was ok, didn't speak to them that much... so can't say much about it.
Ideal location for visiting, walking distance to time square (10 mins), broadway (10 mins), Grand CEntral Station (5 mins).
There was only one lesser point... we had a room with connecting door to the adjescent room. That door was not soundproof. We could hear people talk on the other side.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without a connecting door to an adjescent room if possible.
1  Thank Rowanmayfair_13

Thanks for your post. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed the design of your guestroom; however, I must apologize for the noise disturbances you experienced during your stay with us. I will share your comments with your team so they can take a closer look at your concerns. Please feel free to contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you are planning your next visit. Thanks again for your comments. We hope to see you again soon. – Anna M., General Manager