“Excellent Location. Small "Cozy" Room. Solid good stay!”
Review of W New York

W New York
Ranked #322 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I think the people who have stayed here have no idea what to expect in a hotel stay - let alone in NYC.

We stayed for 3 nights in a "Cozy" room. The room is small - 150 to 200 sq feet at most. It is New York overall so not a big deal. The bed was a queen and there was just enough room to walk on either side of the bed. The bathroom door was right next to the bed and it was made of frosted IKEA glass. So, when your turned on the light in the bathroom, it would illuminate the bedroom. Normally not a big deal but in the middle of the night, the light from the bathroom can be annoying. The toilet was high industrial. Not a home toilet. So when you flushed, it was loud. We did have a inner room so it was quiet at night but no view. The view was a big industrial / machine looking thing.

The mini bar was automated. I took out 6 cans of pop so that I could but a box of left over food in there. When it was time to check out, we were asked if we used anything from the mini bar. I said no and the check out clerk said he would reverse the charge. But then noted that there was 6 charges. And then it dawned on me, it was the pop I took out to make room for my left over food. The front desk clerk understood and reversed the charges no problem.

I also signed up to be a Starwood Preferred Guest so that we could get free wi-fi in the room. Otherwise you have to pay for the wi-fi.

The location can not be beat! It is a few blocks from a subway station, Central Park, Rockerfeller Centre, Grand Central Terminal, and the Chrysler Building.

Overall a good soliday stay. No complaints and no issues.

Room Tip: We had a inner room but no view.
1  Thank JOS1898
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thanks for your post. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time in New York and became a Starwood Preferred Guest member! I apologize for any inconvenience that the WC light and toilet noise caused you during your stay. I will share your comments with my team so they can take a closer look at your concerns. Thanks again for your comments. Please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you are planning your next trip. We hope to welcome you back again soon! -- Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed here over Christmas and New Year 2013/14. The hotel was perfect. Rooms were a bit small but so are most hotels in New York unless you book a suite. Room was perfect for what we wanted. Very clean, had a nice bathroom, good TV and various channels and films, big window and a great mini bar. The Whiskey Blue nightclub/bar was great! perfect for an early cocktail before dinner and when we returned to our hotel around 1am was in full club mode with great music and people dancing. Fantastic location for shopping as we had to make it back half way through the day to drop off bags! Right near Grand Central Station and also Rockafella Centre is a short walk away. Bloomingdales isn't far and we walked to Central Park from there too. Only downside was Wifi wasn't free and was expensive! and when it rained they wanted us to pay for the umbrella if we didn't return it!

Room Tip: Our room was small but I think they all are, would need to book a suite if you want extra space. Che...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Natasha K

Thanks for your post and choosing us to help you celebrate the holiday season. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and had the opportunity to experience Whiskey Blue. For future reference, internet is available complimentary in our Living Room and the umbrellas are available free of charge, and I am so sorry that this was not properly communicated to you during your visit. Please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com before your next visit. Thanks again for your review. We hope to see you again soon! – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is a nice Hotel with a great location. It's your typical hip and modern W Hotel except for the fact that rooms are quite small, but that's something to be expected in NY so not a big deal for me, it was very clean although the room's furniture and equipment is in need of renovation, i noticed it was a little beat up (scratchs, small dents in the closet door).

Lobby is pretty cool, in the best W style, and staff was quite nice and helpful, which was greatly appreciated! would definitely go back

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed our Living Room and found our talent to be accommodating; however, please accept my apologies for the condition of your guestroom. I will share your comments with my team so they can take a closer look at your concerns. Thanks again for your feedback. Please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you are planning your next trip. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon! – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Great location. One block from the subway and close to reasonable restaurants.

Don't be fooled by the room "titles"..... Prior to departing from Oz, we had upgraded our booking from the "Cozy" room to the "Wonderful" room....... On arrival the desk clerk asked if we'd like to upgrade to the "Spectacular" room. One look at the size of the "Wonderful" room convinced us to accept the free upgrade ... Still spent 10 days having to step around our suitcases on the floor ... Room was located at the front of the hotel. Very noisy.

Hotel staff were pleasant and accommodating. Absence of concierge assistance seemed to be a standard across all the hotels we stayed at in the States.

Room Tip: Choose the "Spectacular" Room as a minimum. Ask for a room away from Lexington Avenue.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your recent visit. My sincerest apologies for your disappointment with the size of your guestroom and the noise disturbances you encountered. Additionally, I am disappointed to hear that you were not able to connect with our Concierge team during your stay. This is not typical of our hotel, and I will share your comments with my management team so we can address this immediately. Thanks again for your review. Please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com should you decide to return. We hope to welcome you back again soon. – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Came to NYC for business/pleasure ended up getting booked into this W when I was suppose to be staying at the one in Time Square (trip advisor mistake) anyways I got more of a business feel out of this hotel everything was nice but the rooms could use a bit of help they were small and the door to my room wouldn't shut unless I made sure of it. Paid for the internet and everything I end up taking a cab to Time Square ($20) and I spot the W time square soo I do the whole change booking a new room getting the keys etc canceling this booking at the Lexington W and when I come back an hr later (another $20 cab ride) to get my bags for the switch the super super stuck up manager some white lady was extra stuck up and lets me know we are being charged for a full night at the Lexington W since my bags were in the room for the time. So I end up paying for a night at Lexington W & also the W in time square. Was super pissed. Don't forget I paid for the internet as well which I had to re order at the new location at the W time square. Anyways Lexington time square more of a business stay W in time square is the one for vacation and the better location if your looking to see NYC.

Stayed: July 2014

Thanks for your review. My apologies for the maintenance challenges you encountered with your guestroom door and your disappointment with your room size during your stay with us. For future reference, we provide complimentary internet in our Living Room, and I am sorry that you were not informed of this during your stay with us. Should you find yourself returning to NYC, please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com. Thanks again for your post. We hope to see you again soon. – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Honestly don't understand alot of the negative reviews I've seen here. My wife and I stayed for 3 nights this past weekend and had an overall pretty flawless experience. This is a solid 4 star hotel.
Got an amazing price for this stay on Hotwire.
Check-in was great - Monica is a star - management take notice! Incredibly friendly and professional. Complimentary upgrade due to my Starwood membership to a nice room, very quiet (as requested) with complimentary wi-fi. Yes the room is fairly small. More in line with European hotels, but very much in line with Manhattan hotels. Keep the size expectations in reality people! Yes there is no view for the inner rooms, - you trade off the view for a quiet nights sleep.
Yes you may hear people in the hallway, but I don't know of too many hotels where that doesn't happen to some extent.
Bathroom is small for sure - but didn't have any issues with the "half-open" shower. Don't understand the "flooding" comments I've read at all. Again, very similar to European hotels.
Bed was really comfy, air cond. was for sure a touch loud but worked OK. Some truth to the comment to look into these A/C units for improvement due to noise.
Liked the decor, furnishings as such. Modern look to the place. Generally younger crowd.
We did enjoy a couple of drinks in the "Living Room" as well. Quite comfy and fun.
Everyone we met in terms of staff was super friendly and professional. Excellent service overall.
Location of this hotel is great. Right in Mid-Town, near to, or a short cab ride to, everything you want to see in Manhattan.
Recommend the stay - don't pay much heed to the negative reviews and level set your expectations.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, take the inner rooms, but understand there will be no view except of other hotel...
1  Thank cantrav10

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the fun atmosphere of our newly renovated Living Room and that you enjoyed your interactions with our team. I do apologize, however, for the noise disturbances you experienced during your visit. I will be sure to share your comments with our Engineering team so they can address this issue immediately. Thanks again for your comments. Please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you are planning your next trip. We hope to see you again soon! – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Plusses: Location. Did see the "Property Brothers" there. Breakfast, hash, was good, when we finally got it. Had to ask for water twice, got served white toast instead of whole wheat, single serve pitcher of cream for table of 8. Very understaffed for a reserved wedding brunch.

Front desk: "You'll like the balcony." Balcony and window sealed for our protection. Last day there, I tripped and fell hard going up the black patterned carpeted steps going from the lounge in front of the empty front desk, four people there, and I know two saw me go down. When I got up, all were busy at their computers, not one asked if I was okay.

We were there for a wedding, special wedding rate, Booked an extra day early and two days extra for our stay, but they wouldn't give us the special wedding rate. This place was the wedding party pick, priced beyond what we would normally do, even with the special rate.

Room: Maid service was fine. But since they don't have clean glasses on their carts, who washes the glasses? TV failed to get four ESPN channels for World Cup. Half of stations said "No Signal." Lost the signal during a movie on AMC. No on screen channel guide, no HBO premium channels. Bathroom door slides open on it's own. Bathroom carpet showed up on third day. Nice shower. Toilet very close to sink, I had to lean. Single ply tissues and toilet paper, really???

The automated air conditioner was noisy white noise, and on most of the time we were in the room. Sensor turns if off when you leave, but you have to manually turn it on when you return.

Bed was comfortable, room reasonably quiet.

The minibar is automated, you have one minute to check out and put back anything you pick up, or you will be charged. $7 for a Snickers? Free water bottle is in the last row, you will have to move a couple of items to get to it. Room wifi is $18 a day, lobby is free, and very noisy with talk and music.

Room Tip: Right off CitySights NY bus line, not too far to UN or Rockefeller Plaza, location is the main attra...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Roadster918
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thanks for your review. My sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced and the lack of concern extended to you during your stay with us. This is not typical of our hotel, and I am sincerely sorry for your experience. I will be sharing your comments with my management team so they can address your concerns immediately. Please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you are planning your next trip to New York. We hope to see you again soon. – Anna M., General Manager